FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#286103 - 09/17/06 04:00 PM Re: 'Air' punching and kicking result in injuries? [Re: sgtZipper]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
WristTwister's identified what I see as the problem already. Don't over extend the joint- you're looking to straighten the arms and legs, not lock out.

#286104 - 09/19/06 02:37 PM Re: 'Air' punching and kicking result in injuries? [Re: sgtZipper]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Some people complain that they feel pain in their joints. Usually elbows and knees when they air punch and kick with speed and strenght.

I myself am not one of those people. When I practice forms I use full power however, to maintain balance and proper stance I also use control.

For example, when I shadow spar I use full power aswell and if I were to throw a rear hand punch I would tend to lean my body slightly more forward than when I would do forms. Durring forms I twist my hips for power BUT I maintain a straight posture, I DO NOT lean forward. When I shadow spar I tend to lean my body forward into the punch while still maintaining complete balance.

The difference is because forms are formal, while shadow boxing is not. Either way though, when I attack I go ful power. When I do a round, side, back and front kick, I straighten my leg.
Vinci

#286105 - 09/19/06 02:42 PM Re: 'Air' punching and kicking result in injuries? [Re: TeK9]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

If it's not a medical proplem and it's not serious. Then perhaps it could be lack of stretching. However, if it's not that, then perhaps I suggest you were a knee brace. As for myself I've dislocated both my left and right knees. Fortunately I didn't hurt the ligaments, but I sometimes feel that my knee is just not being held together as tightly as before. When it feels lose, or when I feel it cannot support me. I wear a kneed brace.
Vinci

#286106 - 09/19/06 03:30 PM Re: 'Air' punching and kicking result in injuries? [Re: TeK9]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

As for myself I've dislocated both my left and right knees. Fortunately I didn't hurt the ligaments, but I sometimes feel that my knee is just not being held together as tightly as before. When it feels lose, or when I feel it cannot support me. I wear a kneed brace.

I read this and then your previous post ... perhaps stop kicking full force in the air and shadow boxing.

#286107 - 09/19/06 04:01 PM Re: 'Air' punching and kicking result in injuries? [Re: Dereck]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

I dislocated my first knee in my first year of martial arts practice. I was practicing jumping high kicks in my cement floored garage.

Jumping as high as I can straight up into the air then high kicking, unfortunetly at the time my re-chambers where not as quick and I would land on one leg. My instructor never warned me about practice high juping kicks without mats... I learned the hard way, when I destroyed my left knee.

My right knee was dislocacted durring sparring. I was swept wrong. Instead of attacking the back of the knee, my sparring partner hit the side of my knee.

That clear it up for you? When I refer to pain in my knee's i's usually a pinching feeling or lack of power in the knee. As I said, I wear a brace when this happends.
Vinci

#286108 - 09/19/06 09:15 PM Re: 'Air' punching and kicking result in injuries? [Re: TeK9]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Cleared it up good. Take it easy still because you don't want to make things worse. Take care of yourself Tek.

#286109 - 09/20/06 01:15 AM Re: 'Air' punching and kicking result in injuries? [Re: sgtZipper]
MastaFighta Offline

Loc: United States
Newton's First Law of Motion - "Objects in motion tend to stay in motion, and objects at rest tend to stay at rest unless an outside force acts upon them."

Newton's Second Law of Motion - "The rate of change of the momentum of a body is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, and the direction of the change in momentum takes place in the direction of the net force."

Newton's Third Law of Motion - "To every action there is an equal but opposite reaction."

The object in motion, for example, is your arm when you punch. The only way your arm will stop is if another force acts upon it which in this case happens to be you contracting your muscles to halt the motion. Usually the amount of force needed to stop motion needs to be equal to the force used to start it. As you try stopping the movement of your arm, the momentum is still moving forward as the force you are exerting is moving backwards, thus placing stress upon your joints.

I hope that makes sense, at least from a scientific perspecitve. If not then I apologize.

#286110 - 09/21/06 04:03 AM Re: 'Air' punching and kicking result in injuries? [Re: Dereck]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

If you don't extend your leg completely or punch with bad intentions how are you training?

Not extending the leg, is poor technique, works the muscle less and is a bad habit which can spill over to your sparring. Further, by not extending the leg and using power behind your technique your not commiting to the attack which is very bad psychologically. Especially if your oppoenent catches wif of your fear of committing, they will eat you alive.

Example: If your constantly on the defense durring sparring or durring a match, your opponent will gain confidence and momentum, you on the other hand lose any advantage you might have had.

Never let them see you sweat.

-Tek
Vinci

#286111 - 09/21/06 09:29 AM Re: 'Air' punching and kicking result in injuries? [Re: TeK9]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Question to me? I personally don't like kicking and punching into the air but I do it as that is some of the drills we do. Punching I have no problem but kicking I hold back. I try to complete the technique but lighter and with control. I much perfer kicking paddles as then I can kick through it.

I've found for myself I cannot kick very high when it comes to the air. Kicks are usually knee/groin level when kicking in the air, with the exception of step side kicks and front kicks, but when kicking to paddles I can easily kick chest height. Also a little reserved about kicking to hard as I have a bum left knee.

#286112 - 09/21/06 09:38 AM Re: 'Air' punching and kicking result in injuries? [Re: Dereck]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

It was a general question to anyone.

I prefer kicking paddles or chest protector drills. But when we do warm up line drills we kick the air. I like to extend my leg completely to get full range of motion and work te muscles more. I don't put so much power that I lose control of myself and trip over. But I do extend my leg completely. For side kicks, round kicks, back and front kicks, I lock my knee's when I kick and then quickly re-chamber.

But yea, wen it comes to kicking drills I prefer paddle and chest protector drills.

Much of Olym[ic style kicking drills are done with a forward momentum. Meaning many of the kicks are down with footwork. Very little is a kick down in stationary position. And even then we have like foot work for stationary position.
Vinci

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga