FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#285832 - 09/15/06 09:57 PM Anyone know anything about Shaolin Do?
solaron Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Just checking for a friend to see if anyone has heard anything about the Shaolin Do style of Kung Fu. Real? Scam? Worthless? Good? Heard both good and bad things about Grandmaster Sin The, but only from unlearned people (the supporters and detractors could only repeat stuff they'd heard from a friend's brother's cousin, etc).

Thanks!

#285833 - 09/15/06 10:24 PM Re: Anyone know anything about Shaolin Do? [Re: solaron]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Check this thread:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15795506

You may want to search on Bullshido. Sin The's claims about his training and the origins of the art are suspect. The training at the schools is not likely to be good, but apparently there are some decent ones. Check it out first before you join.

#285834 - 09/15/06 10:39 PM Re: Anyone know anything about Shaolin Do? [Re: solaron]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
solaron,

Like Matt said, location is a kay part of this.
Where are you located? I spent a few years within the Shaolin Do system before moving on to other things, I may be able to help.
PM if you like.

#285835 - 09/15/06 11:46 PM Re: Anyone know anything about Shaolin Do? [Re: Fisherman]
solaron Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for the speedy replies!

The location in question is Blue Ash Shaolin Do, in Cincinnati, Ohio. It's not too far away from Bill Leonard's place, from what I hear. The site is www.ohiosd.com.

I don't think that a shady history matters to my friend... but it may. It doesn't really, to me, if the art itself isn't fake. I doubt you'll find a 100% authentic 'Shaolin' style anywhere in the world - Shaolin temples these days even are becoming tourist traps for aspiring MAs.

Either way, if anyone knows anything about the Cincy Shaolin-Do, I'd love some feedback. I will probably try it with him.

Thanks!

#285836 - 09/16/06 07:10 AM Re: Anyone know anything about Shaolin Do? [Re: solaron]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
I would stay away from shaolin do...I guess if you've never trained in a martial art before I would understand. But their advertising tactics, lineage hoax, and various other suspect things really throws most people off. Also because I have been at a similar "McDojo" before, one with a charismatic teacher...and very isolated practice. You will understand what I mean later..

#285837 - 09/16/06 09:38 AM Re: Anyone know anything about Shaolin Do? [Re: solaron]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

I am not familiar with this group. If there is nothing else in your area, you may want to check them out.
The Shaolin Do that I attended, while it's lineage is questionable, did have a pretty good program. Lots of good conditioning, sparring, and a ton of forms - if thats what you are looking for.
I don't think the art itself is fake, but I do queston how the material was actually obtained befoe being passed along by Sin Kwan The.

#285838 - 09/17/06 04:52 PM Re: Anyone know anything about Shaolin Do? [Re: Fisherman]
Shouji Offline

Loc: VA
Well, before I say anything, I want you to know that I am currently learning Shaolin-Do Kung Fu. My Grandmaster holds 9th Degree in Hap Ki Do and Kung Fu. He also holds 8th degree in Tae Kwon Do. As you can imagine, he is running the Dojo pretty much all day, everyday. He is a great man, and he is ALWAYS in the classroom teaching, and never takes a day off unless it is REALLY important. (btw, a sign of a good teacher is that he/she is always in the class, not just sending a higher level student to teach).

Kung Fu is one of the oldest fighting arts known to mankind. It means, "hard work" and, "always learning". Its divided between two systems, external and internal. The external system is identified with the Shaolin style. Most of it is animal forms (tiger, dragon, crane, snake, leopard, praying mantis, monkey, eagle claw...etc). The internal system consists of, "softer" styles, such as Tai-Chi, Hsing-I, Pa-Kua.

Also, there are over 16 weapons to learn from. As of now, I learned broadsword, 2 parts to Staff, and the Straight Sword. Others include spear, whip chain, 3-Secional Staff, Kwan-Do (halberd)...etc.

From my honest perspective, avoid Kung Fu unless you truly understand Martial Arts in general. It is 99.7% form form form. Doing these forms, you learn to apply them in real life situations. There is no sparring (at least in my class).

It is possibly the hardest art to learn. Its often looked down upon because, "they" say that the Katas used in the forms wouldn't work in real life. This is not true. It all depends on how hard you train at it, and how much you truly believe in the art. It is far more complex of the 3 my Grandmaster teaches (in his own words).

Also noted, Kung Fu is heavily the opposite of everything Bruce Lee says. Kung Fu is limited only because the forms are strict, and must be done in the exact way it is taught, no exceptions. Although myself, I personally favor Bruce Lees philisophys.

There you have it.

#285839 - 09/18/06 08:31 AM Re: Anyone know anything about Shaolin Do? [Re: Shouji]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Shouji,

I think that it is good that you are happy with where you are training and hold your teacher in high regard.
I do have to differ with some of your points that you are trying to make. As you might have seen in the other post, I too have spent quite a bit of time at a school that holds the Sin The teachings etc. I hold no ill regret about the time that I spent there because it put me on the path that I'm on today.

Quote:

Its divided between two systems, external and internal. The external system is identified with the Shaolin style. Most of it is animal forms (tiger, dragon, crane, snake, leopard, praying mantis, monkey, eagle claw...etc). The internal system consists of, "softer" styles, such as Tai-Chi, Hsing-I, Pa-Kua.

This is only true of the Shaolin Do system. Not all schools do all of these different things. As a matter of fact, a lot of places focus on one or two of the above mentioned styles within their system. As far as learning a martial art is concerned, I think that this is a much better approach. You have more time to devote yourself to one style and get good at it rather than spreading yourself thin by learing so many different things. You can have the time needed to perfect principles and techniques rather than just learining form after form.

Quote:

From my honest perspective, avoid Kung Fu unless you truly understand Martial Arts in general. It is 99.7% form form form. Doing these forms, you learn to apply them in real life situations. There is no sparring (at least in my class).

The kungfu at the Shaolin Do scholls are 99.7% forms. You do not learn how to apply forms by doing them, sorry, it just doesn't happen that way. You need to at least spar to get a slight grasp of what fighting is like. Furthermore, you must train how to apply the principles and techniques the form is trying to convey. If you are in a fight or even in sparring for that matter, you will not be able to apply the form as you learned it. Fights are random and therefore you must be able to attack and defend as such. Forms will get you nowhere if you don't know how to use them properly to train. Forms don't teach you how to fight, training methods do.

Quote:

It is possibly the hardest art to learn. Its often looked down upon because, "they" say that the Katas used in the forms wouldn't work in real life. This is not true. It all depends on how hard you train at it, and how much you truly believe in the art.

The hard training will get you speed, stamina, and strength, but when it comes to actual martial skill, forms alone aren't going to cut it. You need to learn how to train the principle and techniques imbedded in the forms with others, spar, etc. if you want to effectively learn how to apply your art, even if it is just in self defense.

Best regards,

#285840 - 09/18/06 10:24 AM Re: Anyone know anything about Shaolin Do? [Re: solaron]
tarpshack Offline

Unfortunately I cannot weigh in on the Shaolin Do authenticity debate. I do not have the martial arts experience or historical knowledge. However, I can speak for the Blue Ash Shaolin Do school and its teachers as I have recently joined this school. It is excellent. I'm not sure if other martial arts are like this, but I can tell right away that you get out what you put into it. The instructors are very talented. Their instruction is good and personalized as needed. There is sparring, and there is conditioning. I mostly chose this particular school because I knew a couple people there, but it has turned out to be an excellent choice. I would recommend you check it out if you are interested. I wouldn't normally go promoting my school on here to anyone who mentioned Shaolin Do, but you specifically asked about my location. I thought it might help your decision to hear from someone who has started taking classes there.

#285841 - 09/18/06 02:52 PM Re: Anyone know anything about Shaolin Do? [Re: tarpshack]
ashe_higgs Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: phoenix
basically, what fish said.

but i do have a buddy who does shaolin do, and he's a scrapper. although, most of what they train at his school is form.

that's not bad in and of itself. not everybody wants to train as hard as a thai boxer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga