FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (MattJ), 58 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#285190 - 09/13/06 12:52 PM Re: footwork drills [Re: butterfly]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I am familiar with these drills that Brad has supplied. Some other ones we have done is you are on all fours making a square. You bring your right foot and exchange it with your left hand while keeping the square. Then you exchange your right hand for your left foot still keeping the square. You do this in one direction for "x" amount or repetitions and then go the other way. Again, others to be added as I remember them.

#285191 - 09/13/06 02:18 PM Re: footwork drills [Re: Ed_Morris]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

sorry andy, do you train or have trained in mixed martial arts or BJJ or even a non-kata centric style for that matter?

I don't think you do, since you haven't posted in this forum on technical subjects til now.....and your technical input is: watch a match and extract the drills?

you were being cryptic on this topic because you don't know what you are talking about.

Sorry ED but most top boxers including Mike Tyson spent hours and hours watching and studying other boxers on film.
The boxers I know that compete now do the same thing.

So what makes it different for you? Or judging from your response you more than likely didnt know these things
Nothing out of the norm in that

Ok Ed, Interesting reply as usual Regards my experience
There was technical advise in what I wrote.

OK let us compare experiences.You doubt mine and I think you have no fighting experience at all.
So perhaps we could find out?. Only If you would like to that is?

Scenario
Two MMA,s on the mat, in a ring what ever.
One throws a right hand punch the left foot is forward.
Right foot is at the rear.
The other attempts a two legged take down counter(shoot) and the punch misses
The person doing the two legged shoot manages to get hold of the legs?
what would your counter techniques to the two legged take down attempt be?
Perhaps you could describe all of them?

Just saying sprawl would indicate to me you have no experience at all or even bothered learning any techniques ?

what is the new objective of the person who threw the rear hand?
Then when you have correctly worked out that scenario how are you going to train it?
And if you would like to discuss the foot work drills involved in that scenario then which part?
The getting the rear hand in?
The attempted take down ?
or the counter to the take down attempt?

If you havent done MMA its very complexed as other have stated on here.If you have never fought at all then it will be equaly dificult.

Can I ask you if you have ever fought?Not sparring? I dont think you ever have.

Just a small point the karate kata based systems from what I am finding out have a lot to offer MMA and self defence

Thanks

Edited by ANDY44 (09/13/06 07:40 PM)

#285192 - 09/13/06 07:34 PM Re: footwork drills [Re: ANDY44]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

all - thanks for the info, the question was more a curiosity than a request for instruction. I'll get back on topic in a sec...first, I have to address this bozo throwing challenges out to strangers:

Andy4, nice to see your real colors, I knew they'd come out when pressed. I don't take challenges, besides I have NO fight experience. since you already know you would 'win', there is no point in challenging people online, is there?

but whats that got to do with footwork drills?

I've never trained in MMA (I mentioned that in the opening thread...hence the question). nor have I done any significant groundwork. I don't pretend this, the people's opinion I respect on this site, and a few I've trained with in person know I've only ever worked stand-up arts.

I didn't catch the part where you mentioned your vast experience working footwork drills from a MMA perspective. not from watching a video you googled and guessed, but from actually training in a gym.

your scenarios are off topic. besides, I wouldn't know the answers...I don't know how to fight - remember?

my 'conclusions'? no, I was guessing when I said you probably don't know what you are talking about when it comes to MMA footwork drills. and I STILL think that....but that opinion could change based on whether or not you address my original question instead of challenging me to a fight for calling you out.

the whole time you've been on this site, you've never put a technical post in this forum...and NOW you are suddenly a cage fighter looking for challenges? bozo.
lol

#285193 - 09/13/06 07:57 PM Re: footwork drills [Re: Ed_Morris]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

all - thanks for the info, the question was more a curiosity than a request for instruction. I'll get back on topic in a sec...first, I have to address this bozo throwing challenges out to strangers:

Andy4, nice to see your real colors, I knew they'd come out when pressed. I don't take challenges, besides I have NO fight experience. since you already know you would 'win', there is no point in challenging people online, is there?

but whats that got to do with footwork drills?

I've never trained in MMA (I mentioned that in the opening thread...hence the question). nor have I done any significant groundwork. I don't pretend this, the people's opinion I respect on this site, and a few I've trained with in person know I've only ever worked stand-up arts.

I didn't catch the part where you mentioned your vast experience working footwork drills from a MMA perspective. not from watching a video you googled and guessed, but from actually training in a gym.

your scenarios are off topic. besides, I wouldn't know the answers...I don't know how to fight - remember?

my 'conclusions'? no, I was guessing when I said you probably don't know what you are talking about when it comes to MMA footwork drills. and I STILL think that....but that opinion could change based on whether or not you address my original question instead of challenging me to a fight for calling you out.

the whole time you've been on this site, you've never put a technical post in this forum...and NOW you are suddenly a cage fighter looking for challenges? bozo.
lol

------------------------------------------------------------
You stated
sorry andy, do you train or have trained in mixed martial arts or BJJ or even a non-kata centric style for that matter?

I don't think you do, since you haven't posted in this forum on technical subjects til now.....and your technical input is: watch a match and extract the drills?

you were being cryptic on this topic because you don't know what you are talking about
-------------------------------------------------------------
In response i stated what i did
Now you choose to call me a bozo?

Your realy showing your colours here ED

Firstly I am not a bozo as you put it
Secondly you doubted my expereince so I suggested to put it to the test by going throught the scenario I stated by answering the questions
Thirdly there was no challenge to a fight or calling you out
fourthly Yes I am 53 I have a past and in that past i have had a hell of a lot of fights.Just because i am now studying kata based karate doesnt give an indication to my past
Fifth
footwork is a means of applying technique
If you cared to learn about mma then the foot work question would answer itself

If you read my input on the self defence forums then you wouldnt come up with your conclusions. Strange how others have reached a different conclusion?

Any way back to the topic
Im afraid if you cant answer the questions I asked then how are you going know what foot work to use?

Mohamed Ali had his own style of footwork as opposed to say tyson?

Different techniques require diffent foot work thus different foot work skills,So no specific technique means no specific footwork, I have asked you questions if you answer them then the foot work could be discussed and the relevent drills.

Or any body else for that matter answers them then foot work for those specific techniques could be discussed
The scenario I gave you is one I have used many a time

Edited by ANDY44 (09/13/06 09:01 PM)

#285194 - 09/13/06 08:06 PM Re: footwork drills [Re: ANDY44]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Andy,

No offense on this side, but....

Quote:

OK let us compare experiences.You doubt mine and I think you have no fighting experience at all.

Can be construed as calling someone out for a "talking to."

Perhaps this was not your intent, but it kind of "sounded" that way. And I know, posts are hard to get across what you exactly mean without vocal and physical clues.

I am not defending Ed, but stating I can see what he means.

-B

#285195 - 09/13/06 08:08 PM Re: footwork drills [Re: ANDY44]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

1. ok, I stand corrected.
2. you didn't mention drills (read the other people's posts as example).
Quote:

4. I never asked. and don't care. this thread is about footwork drills.
5. I agree. but often in training there is a concept of isolating techniques...these are called 'drills'.

#285196 - 09/13/06 08:22 PM Re: footwork drills [Re: Ed_Morris]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Quote:

5. I agree. but often in training there is a concept of isolating techniques...these are called 'drills'.

ED I didnt call any body out
I gave you an example of a scenario often found in fights and MMA,s with questions that will lead to footwork drills

Edited by ANDY44 (09/13/06 08:45 PM)

#285197 - 09/13/06 08:29 PM Re: footwork drills [Re: butterfly]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Andy,

No offense on this side, but....

Quote:

Can be construed as calling someone out for a "talking to."

Perhaps this was not your intent, but it kind of "sounded" that way. And I know, posts are hard to get across what you exactly mean without vocal and physical clues.

I am not defending Ed, but stating I can see what he means.

-B

----------------------------------------------------------

Scenario
Two MMA,s on the mat, in a ring what ever.
One throws a right hand punch the left foot is forward.
Right foot is at the rear.
The other attempts a two legged take down counter(shoot) and the punch misses
The person doing the two legged shoot manages to get hold of the legs?
what would your counter techniques to the two legged take down attempt be?
Perhaps you could describe all of them?
_---------------------------------------------------------

It was related to the questions about techniques wasnt intended to as you say call any one out but im afraid if they doubt what i say then i should be allowed to prove it
which i think i did

Edited by ANDY44 (09/13/06 08:51 PM)

#285198 - 09/13/06 08:39 PM Re: footwork drills [Re: Ed_Morris]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Quote:

Thats what I did with the scenario
Isolated set techniques used in MMA witht them comes the relevent foot work

#285199 - 09/13/06 09:01 PM Re: footwork drills [Re: butterfly]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I could word my question another way: does anyone train solo drills which improve footwork?

if so...I was wondering if yours and others look similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6y0YYBUGP0

thanks again.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga