FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#285022 - 09/12/06 05:35 AM Questions about Kyokushin/others sparring
Mr_Moogle Offline

Hello. Um, just asking some questions regarding the sparring rules in Kyokushin and some other general info about sparring (just curious lol). Please bear with me.

I'm aware that Kyokushin karate or its derivatives are full contact. However, just mainly focusing on the origin, Kyokushinkai Karate, do they generally allow low kicks, or kicks below the waist (exception of the groin area)?

Secondly, I know you're allowed to kick to the face, but are you allowed to knee (with 100% strength) to the face? As in grab and knee, for example?

Thirdly, are you allowed to elbow below the head (I'm pretty sure you're generally not allowed to elbow the head and neck)? Like let's say, on the shoulders or ribs?

Now the following are about the general rules of sparring.

I classify the type of sparring as follows: No/Light Contact, Semi Contact and then Full contact in terms of rules.

No/Light Contact I know you are not allowed to hit the face. But with semi contact (let's assume you're using gloves), how hard are you allowed to hit? Just a tap? With semi-contact, are you allowed to use low kicks?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions and if I'm bothering you lol. Please reply as soon as possible, thanks.

#285023 - 09/12/06 07:42 AM Re: Questions about Kyokushin/others sparring [Re: Mr_Moogle]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I'm not sure about the exact rules regarding kyokushin or if they are universal from school to school,but as for general sparring rules it is strictly dependant on the place you train.

#285024 - 09/12/06 08:02 AM Re: Questions about Kyokushin/others sparring [Re: Mr_Moogle]
skycatcher Offline

When I trained in Kenpo it was full contact but you were expected to control your attacks.

1) Keep it above the obi
2) You are allowed to contact with the head, but just enough to let the other person know they've just been hit
3) Any dangerous techniques such as taking out the knee, elbow to the neck, etc etc as you've mentioned are not allowed. You could however perform shutos to the neck etc etc

Basically for us full contact was just that - full contact but not necessarily full force. If it was a body blow you could hit pretty hard but the head attacks should never be full force since you are not in a street fight, but training with a partner.

All in all: Hit hard enough to where it would cause pain so that they would remember it, but not hard enough to cause injury. Control is the key.

#285025 - 09/12/06 10:52 AM Re: Questions about Kyokushin/others sparring [Re: Mr_Moogle]
Kysogkram Offline

Loc: Denmark
I train in a Kyokushin offshoot, so our rules might not be exactly the same, but to my knowledge they're very similar. When you say sparring do you mean training in the dojo with your fellow karatekas or do you mean tournaments etc. as well?

So to answer your questions:

1. Yes, you're allowed to kick below the waist, also use sweeps and whatnot. Naturally groin kicks and kicks towards knees, etc. are not allowed.

2. As far as kicking towards the head goes, you're only allowed to use circular kicks towards the head. We all want to stay pretty don't we? . So to answer your question, no, I very much doubt you'd be allowed to grab a persons head and knee it. There are however tournaments where any kick/knee/leg technique towards the face goes.

3. Well I'm actually not sure about this one, but I'd say yes, you can elbow the body if you want. Doesn't seem very practical to me though.

Overall this might vary depending on school and whatnot. Generally when sparring, we're all trying to look out for each other.

However sometimes we do train with head contact. This is done with MMA type gloves on and pulled punches towards the face, and we try to aim high towards the forehead, so as not to mess each other up entirely.

#285026 - 09/12/06 11:42 AM Re: Questions about Kyokushin/others sparring [Re: Kysogkram]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Basically, I agree with Kysogkram. Pretty much the way it goes.

I also think that people have a strange view of what full contact means or can mean. Just as in any martial art style that allows full contact, you are not out there to "blow away" the opponent with strikes.

Look at boxing or MT for instance, in training yes there's contact and full range of movment, but the intent is not to go out there and hurt the opponent in training (then you are too banged up for the "real" fight).

Similarly, in styles of karate that extoll full contact, you are allowed to hit--and occasionally hit hard, but you are there to help each other improve and not there to send each other to the hospital (even though I have gone a few times ).

-B

#285027 - 09/22/06 07:58 PM Re: Questions about Kyokushin/others sparring [Re: Mr_Moogle]
TheFinalOption Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm starting in Kyokushin soon...from my understanding, most everything towards the body is allowed (save the really dangerous stuff) and kicks to the head are allowed. Other than that I'm not sure of specifics.

#285028 - 09/25/06 11:12 AM Re: Questions about Kyokushin/others sparring [Re: TheFinalOption]
kensai1 Offline

Loc: Ohio
take a look at Fighting Black Kings, fantastic fight scenes in the movie, to include the dojo kumite.

Mike

#285029 - 09/25/06 11:01 PM Re: Questions about Kyokushin/others sparring [Re: Mr_Moogle]
nelsdogg Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
As I am only a junior, I cannot be sure of the exact rules of Kyokushin kumite but as I understand it:
- Full-contact
- No punches to the face
- No elbows or knees
- No kicks to the groin
- Generally, no gloves are worn
- All kicks to the head are allowed
- No grappling?

#285030 - 09/26/06 02:50 AM Re: Questions about Kyokushin/others sparring [Re: nelsdogg]
TheFinalOption Offline

So are you in or getting into Kyokushin, nelsdogg?

I wasn't sure what you meant by being a junior...

#285031 - 09/26/06 02:57 AM Re: Questions about Kyokushin/others sparring [Re: kensai1]
TheFinalOption Offline

And kensai1, I shall have to check out that movie...I love martial arts movies. Everything from van damme flicks to Ong Bok (my favorite.) But it sounds like a documentary, which is even better. I just hope I can find it somewhere online, or at least a dvd (I've only seen it on vhs and I don't have a vhs player. Pity.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga