FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#283798 - 06/17/07 09:11 PM Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner [Re: Xibalba]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

You show videos that have a BJJ fighter against stand up fighters with no ground skills. This was a great point.....in 1993.

Don't dismiss entire arts. It simply shows you to be young and uninformed.

#283799 - 06/17/07 11:13 PM Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner [Re: musicalmike235]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Believe it or not, I can back up the claim. Take a look at these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef57iN7hL4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjK0g-cDJI4

And if you want, I can find more.

*slaps head*

You are missing my point, my friend. What I am trying to say is that there are kung-fu schools that DO work ground stuff, and even styles that emphasize it, like san soo (sp?), although not to the degree that BJJ does.

Thus your generalization is still a bad idea, despite the video "proof". Or do I have to find some video of Cung Le for you?

#283800 - 06/18/07 10:51 AM Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner [Re: MattJ]
Viator Offline

Kung Fu can be good as long as the training methodology is good. Take out what works from your experience and leave the rest. That said, I kinda agree with him that a decent BJJ practitioner will beat an average kung fu practitioner a large portion of the time, especially if they don't know any takedown defense. Pure grappling just tends to beat pure standup, still doesn't mean all kung fu is crap. Just, ya know, most of it.

#283801 - 06/18/07 11:04 AM Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner [Re: Slaya]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Our dojo is exactly what your looking for and we are in NJ... but a little out of your way. We are about 20 minutes outside of Phila. over the Walt Whitman Bridge( Mantua NJ).
TNT Katrate & Fitness
tntkarate.net

Tell you what, why don't you come to the East Coast Get Together here August 11th in NJ and I/we can go over a lot of the things your talking about. If you want to talk in private feel free to email me.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...part=1&vc=1

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15920796

#283802 - 06/19/07 11:01 PM Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner [Re: schanne]
musicalmike235 Offline

Okay, Maybe I shouldn't say its rubbish. And forgive me. I just have a real ax to grind about this, mainly because the kind of people that typically badmouth MMA tend to be kung fu guys who say things like, "We don't use our true techniques because we don't want to kill the guy. Thats why he beat us." I know kung fu guys aren't all like that (If the art really was rubbish it wouldn't have lasted), but really, the ones who know better took the time to study grappling and proper application of both their ground and stand-up games and therefore preclude themselves from my generalization. They are "Complete fighters". Not pure strikers, and not pure grapplers. Thats all I want people to realize. And unfortunately, there are still a lot of people who havn't learned from UFC 1 and that bothers me.

#283803 - 06/23/07 12:50 AM Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner [Re: musicalmike235]
ThatSpearGuy Offline

Now I have an issue with you using UFC as a grounds for knowing what is and isn't real. UFC is a sport. Granted its a very violent sport with suberb athletes who are very good at what they do. However it has rules and as such is a sport.

Also, having known and trained with some very good kung fu guys I can tell you for a fact that real kung fu isn't rubbish. I know me telling you this isn't going to change your mind, its gonna take you running into one of those guys yourself.

#283804 - 06/23/07 10:04 PM Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner [Re: ThatSpearGuy]
musicalmike235 Offline

ThatSpearGuy, the fact is, MMA always trumps traditional martial arts because it takes the best from every traditional system and uses it. MMA isn't just a style, its a science. And by the way, not all MMA competitions have rules, you should see the ones they hold in brazil. Also, look back at UFC 1, there were no rules in that either, and you didn't see any one getting killed with some magic death touch. To say that kung fu is rubbish, is a gross overstatement that I perhaps shouldn't have made, but MMA is still the ultimate fighting style.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga