FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Today at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#283527 - 09/05/06 11:39 AM High kicks... look great, but less fulfilling!
Eternal_Student Offline

Ed Morris suggested this as a discussion topic (high kicks, effective or not in REAL combat).

I would have to put myself squarely on the "don't do it" side!

1st: They take longer to fire out (& especially to pull back in), leaving the person throwing one open to counter-attack.

2nd: While a round-house to the head can be devastating (I've seen quite a few PRIDE & UFC matches where they caused a KO)- there are a multitude of other techniques that can be just as devastating. (a stomp kick to the side of the knee- which breaks an opponent's leg- comes to mind)

3rd: It may be difficult to ask your attacker to wait a minute while you warm up your hammies to kick him in the jaw.

I've got lots of ideas on this subject, & would love to hear your input, people!

#283528 - 09/05/06 03:54 PM Re: High kicks... look great, but less fulfilling! [Re: Eternal_Student]
MikeC Offline
Dragon

Loc: Kingston Ontario
Why would you risk exposing yourself with a high kick when you could take their legs out: or kick them in Kenteki. Use of knees also comes to mind.There are better ways to use your legs and in a real situation showing off is not smart.

#283529 - 09/05/06 04:02 PM Re: High kicks... look great, but less fulfilling! [Re: Eternal_Student]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
I find there is not a simple answer.

I was once discussing this with an indonesian martial artist, and was explaining the superiority of isshinryu kicking, being lower to the ground and harder to stop. Before I finished talking he exploded back into a shotokan front stance and finished by putting his foot in my mouth, with no warmup or leading key motion.

As a general rule I think lower kicks make more sense, but honestly the tam tui'e ones of 1"-3" off the ground may be the best for that <GRIN>

But depending on one's level of execution, one's method of conditioning, one's style of practice, say northern shaolin systems, kicking (or any technique) is nothing more than an issue of correct timing, leading an opponent to set up an opening, and then interrupting the opponent appropriately.

I believe in the lower leg focused kicking of Isshinryu, but I also belive in people who define the boundries by their training.

#283530 - 09/05/06 04:27 PM Re: High kicks... look great, but less fulfilling! [Re: Eternal_Student]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA

#283531 - 09/05/06 04:52 PM Re: High kicks... look great, but less fulfilling! [Re: Eternal_Student]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
The more something is practiced the more effective it becomes. I wouldn't say not do do it,but if the opportunity presents itself then why not do it?

#283532 - 09/05/06 05:00 PM Re: High kicks... look great, but less fulfillin [Re: Eternal_Student]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
The right technique for the situation could be anything. If a high kick just "happens" (without thought, instinctively), and it works (i.e., saves your be-hind), then great. I, however would not want to enter a self-defense situation consciously planning on doing high kicks.

On second thought, that goes for any technique. Ideally, one would not 'plan' on anything in a SD situation. The correct response should just 'happen', right?

Mike

#283533 - 09/05/06 05:28 PM Re: High kicks... look great, but less fulfilling! [Re: MattJ]
Eternal_Student Offline

Matt:

I'm certainly not debating the devastating effects of a head kick. However, the video you refer to shows them in controlled Muay Thai competition.

When you eliminate MANY potential target areas from your choices of potential targets (groin, knee, etc), the head kick certainly becomes more appealing.

ALSO, when you make grabbing illegal (as in Muay Thai), you make a head kick harder to defend.

In real world fighting, it is simply not very "economical" (considering the amount of damage done to an opponent can be matched or exceeded by other easier to reach targets + you do open yourself up to a vicious counter-attack with your groin area exposed).

Also, I certainly don't argue that there ARE some martial arts practitioners who can perform head kicks with tremendous speed & efficiency, I would argue that they could strike other (lower) targets (that are just as devastating or more) with even more speed & efficiency than the high kicks.

Also, they may not have to fear ME counter-attacking their lightning fast high kicks, but another martial artist AT THEIR OWN SKILL LEVEL would obviously have a better chance of counter-attacking them successfully.

I am not arguing that different martial artists don't have different capabilities when it comes to high kicks.

I am arguing that the same martial artist can strike lower targets faster & more efficiently (with AT LEAST the same level of effectiveness) than he can high targets.

Besides, with that in mind, if you are not sure of your street fighting opponent's skill level (which you almost never are in a real fight), why not do the most "economical" technique?

#283534 - 09/05/06 05:34 PM Re: High kicks... look great, but less fulfilling! [Re: MattJ]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Cool Vid. I just don't like the matches when they can kick their opponent while down.

#283535 - 09/05/06 05:42 PM Re: High kicks... look great, but less fulfilling! [Re: Eternal_Student]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
While I actually agree with the thrust of your argument, I think the MT match is a good indicator of the possible utility of high kicks.

Quote:

When you eliminate MANY potential target areas from your choices of potential targets (groin, knee, etc), the head kick certainly becomes more appealing.

ALSO, when you make grabbing illegal (as in Muay Thai), you make a head kick harder to defend.

Just to be picky, MT does allow kicks to the thigh (inside and outside), and kicks can be caught for sweeps and trips.

But I do agree that high kicks on the street, for the most part, are a bad idea.

#283536 - 09/05/06 09:10 PM Re: High kicks... look great, but less fulfilling! [Re: MikeC]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Just yesterday I finished a work out in my garage, and was tired but I thought "lets throw one last kick" I through my round house kick (head hight) and my supporting foot slipped and I fell to the ground.

If I did the same thing on the street I would of been in a lot of trouble.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga