FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#282590 - 09/03/06 01:02 PM Re: Traditional vs Modern techniques [Re: Cord]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
Quote:

Good grief, another TMA/MMA debate- yippee!

putting on a Gi and kiai'ing up and down a hall, or shaving your head, getting tattoos and training in a cage, or anywhere inbetween - none of these make an effective fighter. They are tools that a fighter can use if learned properly, but the 'fighter' bit is a mindset that usually exists long before any form of unarmed training takes place.

crossbow or long bow? neither if the person holding them cant aim for sh1t, and shows no natural aptitude.

want to be teh de4dly fye-tor? get your game on in whatever style you have available, and stop flogging dead horses.

Bless your reasonable heart, Cord!

Well, what does that make me, then? Typically I put on a gi and kiai up an down a dojo, but I also shaved my head and got tattoos, and trained in a cage for a while...

In order to be truly PC and non-exclusionary, we therefore need a new category of martial arts:

T.M.M.A : "Traditional Mixed Martial Arts"

See how everything just comes around full circle?

Peace,
Mike

#282591 - 09/03/06 01:30 PM Re: Traditional vs Modern techniques [Re: migo]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
actually wasnt the Gracies taught Judo? Mitsuyo Maeda was a Judoka of the Kodokan. But I guess he called it Ju Jutsu when he taught it to the Gracies.

And uh you can gouge a person's eye regardless of who they are. They can be a 250lb bouncer at the club, they can still get their eye gouged, same with the kungfu guy and same with the ufc guys and same for the 90 yr old man down the street. An eye is an eye, so that means it can be gouged.

#282592 - 09/03/06 01:43 PM Re: Traditional vs Modern techniques [Re: Xibalba]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Well, what does that make me, then? Typically I put on a gi and kiai up an down a dojo, but I also shaved my head and got tattoos, and trained in a cage for a while...

I agree with your sentiments, i got the tatts, the shaved head, I even have the Tank Abbott hairy biker goatee, but wouldnt have a clue how to sink an armbar. (I always though an Arm bar was a place thumbs went to drink wrestle and pick up cute fingers )

Quote:

We already have this. How many schools have sprung up over the last few years offering Muay Thai + some form of Ju-jutsu/grappling?

A combination of traditional arts that are fast becoming 'traditional' to offer cross training in.

Thats T.M.M.A. IMO.

The point is that stand up or ground, one style or twenty, methods of fighting are only as effective as the fighter using them. A boxer can have all the technique and fitness in the world, but if he hasnt got controlled aggression and a decent chin he is going to do zip in the ring- or 'the street' (vomit).

Getting hung up on style vs style is like race drivers arguing about what colour their cars should be, whilst paying no attention to the engines that push them along.

#282593 - 09/03/06 02:00 PM Re: Traditional vs Modern techniques [Re: Cord]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
Quote:

Quote:

I agree with your sentiments, i got the tatts, the shaved head, I even have the Tank Abbott hairy biker goatee, but wouldnt have a clue how to sink an armbar. (I always though an Arm bar was a place thumbs went to drink wrestle and pick up cute fingers )

Quote:

We already have this. How many schools have sprung up over the last few years offering Muay Thai + some form of Ju-jutsu/grappling?

A combination of traditional arts that are fast becoming 'traditional' to offer cross training in.

Thats T.M.M.A. IMO.

The point is that stand up or ground, one style or twenty, methods of fighting are only as effective as the fighter using them. A boxer can have all the technique and fitness in the world, but if he hasnt got controlled aggression and a decent chin he is going to do zip in the ring- or 'the street' (vomit).

Getting hung up on style vs style is like race drivers arguing about what colour their cars should be, whilst paying no attention to the engines that push them along.

Agreed, agreed, agreed, and, well...agreed!!

I am getting SO sick of these style vs. style, MMA vs. "traditional MA" arguments. It makes me want to say "if you think TMA stinks, come to my dojo, we will train, learn a bit from each other, and you can see for yourself."

Really, I just end up repeating myself in all these silly "vs." threads. I should just ignore them and quit responding. But it seems I am easily baited...

Peace,
Mike

PS - Not to be self-promoting, but this thread pretty much sums up my thoughts on arguments like this, in as concise a way as I could at the time.

#282594 - 09/03/06 02:24 PM Re: Traditional vs Modern techniques [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

Perhaps one day we can show you this.

#282595 - 09/03/06 03:47 PM Re: Traditional vs Modern techniques [Re: Dereck]
Karateka13 Offline
Righteous Do-Gooder

Loc: Beirut, Lebanon
Quote:

(I always though an Arm bar was a place thumbs went to drink wrestle and pick up cute fingers )

Cord...can I have your permission to put that as my signature? I shall credit you of course. The mental image that gave me was...beyond hilarious!

#282596 - 09/03/06 03:50 PM Re: Traditional vs Modern techniques [Re: SilkyFighter]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Oh brother.

Re: the video.

The challenge was made by the Kung Fu guy to any MMA fighter for $5000. So, please no boo hooing about how he was unprepared yadda yadda yadda. He made the challenge and John Marsh accepted. He is lucky he only got a broken arm.

Re: the rest of this argument.

MMA seems to be rather under-represented here and I don't feel like picking up the torch. Suffice it to say that Sport MMA focuses on a narrow scope of what very often happens in one on one confrontations. It is a contest to determine with reasonable accuracy "which car is faster" in a fixed loop track. TMA brings a lot more to the table than just a 0-60 or lap time judgment.

There is room for both with balance.

#282597 - 09/03/06 03:58 PM Re: Traditional vs Modern techniques [Re: Karateka13]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Quote:

(I always though an Arm bar was a place thumbs went to drink wrestle and pick up cute fingers )

Cord...can I have your permission to put that as my signature? I shall credit you of course. The mental image that gave me was...beyond hilarious!

Of Course you can

The day people have to ask my permission to quote me is the day I start referring to myself in the third person, and that is not Cord's style

#282598 - 09/03/06 04:19 PM Re: Traditional vs Modern techniques [Re: Cord]
Karateka13 Offline
Righteous Do-Gooder

Loc: Beirut, Lebanon
Thanks! *Does a jig*

It is not Hala's style to speak in the third person either. You and Hala have much in common.

#282599 - 09/03/06 04:39 PM Re: Traditional vs Modern techniques [Re: Fletch1]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

MMA seems to be rather under-represented here and I don't feel like picking up the torch. Suffice it to say that Sport MMA focuses on a narrow scope of what very often happens in one on one confrontations. It is a contest to determine with reasonable accuracy "which car is faster" in a fixed loop track. TMA brings a lot more to the table than just a 0-60 or lap time judgment.

That is exactly what I want to say, only more eloquently put. To compare TMAs and MMAs is just not reasonable, since they have different goals in mind. It is up to the practitioner to choose his goals and find the training system that suits him best.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga