FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#281565 - 08/25/06 01:29 PM Raw eggs
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Of course most of us have seen Rocky But seriously, I understand that raw eggs and other chicken products can carry salmonella and raw eggs should not be consumed. However once in awhile I hear of raw eggs being used in health shakes, home remedies and hangover cures etc. Why would anyone want to eat raw eggs? does it deliver protein into your body faster or something? I would think that it would just be alot of fat and cholesterol too, not to mention salmonella. Mabey Rocky was just lazy and didn't want to cook his eggs, however I did read a book by Sly and he mentioned he did used to drink raw eggs in real life years ago, It sounded like there was some kind of trick to it I'm just curious. Anyone ever eaten raw eggs before?

#281566 - 08/25/06 01:47 PM Re: Raw eggs [Re: Crash]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
MMMM, good stuff!

I've had raw eggs in shakes and by themselves. I've read the salmonella is a risk, but it is a very small risk.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/15861784/page/0/vc/1

#281567 - 08/25/06 01:50 PM Re: Raw eggs [Re: JoelM]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Only want my eggs baked, fried, boiled, scrambled or made into an omlet. No chance I'm going to suck back a raw egg and for what good it does you, you can certainly find it and better in other foods. Yuck.

#281568 - 08/25/06 03:07 PM Re: Raw eggs [Re: Crash]
cauliflowerears Offline

Avidin which is found in white raw eggs, binds with biotin and inhibits its absorption. Cooking destroys avidin. Cook your eggs. You will digest more protein. Whey is the fastest acting protein.

Here is a biological value of some common Proteins:

Protein BV
Whey isolate 110-159
Whey concentrate 104
Whole egg 100
Cow's milk 91
Egg white 88
Fish 83
Beef 80
Chicken 79
Casein 77
Soy 74
Rice 59
Wheat 54
Beans 49

The higher the number the faster it is digested. The proteins on the top of the list are what you would want post workout.

Edited by cauliflowerears (08/25/06 03:08 PM)

#281569 - 08/25/06 04:16 PM Re: Raw eggs [Re: JoelM]
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

Does salmonella kill you?! or just make your food fly out of your a$$ at 150mph?

#281570 - 08/25/06 04:28 PM Re: Raw eggs [Re: Crash]
cauliflowerears Offline

Young children, seniors and those with weakened immune systems from diseases such as AIDS, or as a result of some cancer treatments, are the most vulnerable. In severe cases, salmonella can kill.

#281571 - 08/25/06 04:34 PM Re: Raw eggs [Re: cauliflowerears]
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

I thought it was something like that

#281572 - 08/25/06 06:51 PM Re: Raw eggs [Re: Crash]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I detest eggs of any type. Won't eat 'em.

#281573 - 08/25/06 07:58 PM Re: Raw eggs [Re: MattJ]
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

really? I love eggs. Oh well, to each their own.

#281574 - 08/26/06 09:10 AM Re: Raw eggs [Re: Crash]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Firstly, Stallone said in his book 'Sly Moves' that he knows the raw egg breakfast scene had no real life merit on a nutritional basis, and that he put it in to convey the sense of primal power in the character. He also freely admits that he knew nothing about nutrition until after Rocky went huge, and he could afford to learn from trainers and professionals, as well as from his own mistakes.

Secondly, most of the salmonella in eggs is actually on the outside of the shell. The content of the egg is on the whole very unlikely to give you salmonella poisoning. There used to be a wide spread prctice of washing eggs ready for sale, this damaged the protective natural glazing on the egg, allowing the external salmonella to permeate the shell and get into the content. this practice is now illegal in the UK, and not practiced, so raw egg is a fairly safe food.

Thirdly, whilst raw egg is not the ideal form of protein, it is worth remembering that there was a time before 'micro cross filtered casseinated whey isolate in gourmet rum punch flavour'. In these dark days, a protein shake consisted of milk, raw eggs and something to disguise the texture/taste (anything from malt to marmite!).
No one knew about avidin then, yet it must have existed, and yet the guys who pounded down tray after tray of eggs every week all miraculously managed to get very big and very strong, despite this evil substance.

now I am not saying that raw egg is the bees knees, but what I am saying is that natural protein sources are never as innefective or hard to digest as supplement companies would have you believe.

I am all for a balance between cutting edge and old school. I like what works. There is no doubt that athletes today are bigger and stronger than ever, and nutrition plays a big part in that. Arnie C.1975 looks a bit puny compared to Ronnie today, but would you be more than delighted to wake up tomorrow looking like Arnie at his peak? that muscle was fed by milk, egg, steak and tuna, not slow release whey isolate.
A lot of 'poor' quality protein managed to be synthesised just fine by a lot of Legendary physiques.

I was a natural bodybuilder from 15 years old to 25 years old, and managed to get to a fairly hard 240lbs on protein from Raw egg, chicken and tuna, with not a whey isolate in sight. i have used whey since (including at the moment- Met-rx chocolate, quite nice tasting as it goes), but it is expensive, and there is a lot of cr4p on the market making wild claims as well.
i am currently back training in a gym again after a long time of home training, and am considering a return to a little hypertrophy training, and if I do, you can bet that raw egg will return to my diet, I have seen and experienced too many positive results from its use to negate its value, and at 2.30 for a tray of 24 eggs, it is much more affordable.

Edited by Cord (08/26/06 09:44 AM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga