FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 70 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
Marcus Charles 1
TooNice 1
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Jeff_G
03/30/14 12:44 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432375 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#281419 - 08/25/06 12:59 PM Re: Naihanci kata [Re: Ed_Morris]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
What's weird is naihanchi shodan is supposed to be a spectacular kata yet I find better applications in the other 2. Why is that? Maybe I'm just not good with bunkai. Oh well. There's lot's of tegumi in the others.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#281420 - 08/25/06 01:50 PM Re: Naihanci kata [Re: BrianS]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

From what I've heard, Naihanchi is categorized as a Heishu Kata and, like Sanchin kata, is a training/development form. Naihanchi='internal divided conflict'. Sanchin='3 conflicts'. The 'internal battles' generally thought to be referred to is mind, body and spirit. ...or in other words, the internal struggles that athletes 'dig deep' for. The difference being an exercise that the practioner has to 'deep deep' to perfect the principals of body dynamics that are benefital to self-defence by design.

Of course useful specific interpretations can be extracted from Haishu kata when broken apart, and it's a personal choice if it's trained that way, it's also a personal belief that these kata were not taught as application katas but rather as 'molding the clay' exercises. ...thats why they were taught first - to mold the student's body to strong body mechanics. Sanchin is typically still taught at first in Goju, but Naihanchi seems typically a brown belt kata, displaced by pinan 1-5.

For fun, I'd like to someday experiment with training naihanchi using sanchin methods. whats interesting to note is from what I see in the movements of naihanchi, except for the lateral position of the stance/body, most of what the arms are doing can be found in various other kata across systems. Same with Sanchin, except with IT'S own characteristic of the hourglass boxer's stance. what the hands are doing can be found elsewhere if you are looking for application.

The reason it's better to look at the open hand katas (kaishugata) for application vs. haishugata, is because kaishu kata shows the relative angling and timing of upper/lower body much better.

look at the directioning parallels with kaishu vs. haishu : naihanchi & sanchin basically address 2 directions (I know you can read more directions into it, but c'mon naihanchi goes left and right and sanchin goes front and back). kaishu kata addresses angles in 8 directions (45 degrees).

just some thoughts...

#281421 - 08/25/06 02:32 PM Re: Naihanci kata [Re: Ed_Morris]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Are you guys reading what I have written for the past couple of years on Naihanchi? It is the ultimate inside fighting kata and the foundation of all shorin ryu!!! Please seek out qualified teachers, there are not many left these days. Think 45 DEGREE ANGLE, that is where the attack is coming from. This from the side and back to the wall stuff is preschool. Maybe back to the wall is meant figuratively like your back is to the wall there is not where to go, use Naihanchi and live. Again, this is the problem with reverse engineering, you start fixing what is not broken and forget the main principles of fighting in shorin ryu.

#281422 - 08/25/06 07:30 PM Re: Naihanchi kata [Re: medulanet]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

you've written great stuff on the subject.
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=37&Number=15840836

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=10&Number=9951586

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=10&Number=9952012

...to name a few.

I'm not saying the direction of the incoming attack, I'm talking about the direction of response relative to the angle of attack.

In naihanchi, if you expect me to interpret this for all-in-one application...

attack: someone attacks from the front.
lower body response: naihanchi dachi.

attack: someone attacks from a 45 degree angle.

attack: from the side.

sorry, not likely.
clearly naihanchi is not intended for an all-in-one package for actual application. By that I mean, sure it probably has very cool stand-up grappling principals (if taught), but I just don't see responding to an incoming attack with a horse stance....unless immediately setting up into a judo-like throw. (in my limited opinion) Kusanku and Chinto for instance look much more reasonable for reactive response interpretion. Then naihanchi training could come into play when in your clutches.

like I said, just thoughts for conversation...

#281423 - 08/25/06 08:07 PM Re: Naihanci kata [Re: BrianS]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

B,
If I were to draw the applications in a more relaxed and natural stance the correlation to the form would be less obvious to the uninitiated. They would say "that doesn't look like the form". So the drawing if taken literally can look impractical or even absurd. The illustration as a story needs a begining, middle and an end. If a person counted out movements 1... 2...3....4 most people see the numbers as the place where the application happens when they many times happen on the ... When I get some more time maybe I can show other posibilities of those same movements.

#281424 - 08/26/06 07:02 AM Re: Naihanchi kata [Re: Ed_Morris]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

From the applications I have seen of this kata(tekki) ED I am agree ing with medulant.It is effective inside fighting.

#281425 - 08/26/06 07:33 AM Re: Naihanchi kata [Re: ANDY44]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I'm reading if you care to elaborate. and who was saying it doesn't contain inside fighting? I'm not arguing that, if you read my posts.
I'm merely hypothisizing for the sake of conversation and understanding 'A' potential focus of naihanchi study (non-application focus), not taking a poll of who agrees with who - the only time I care about the popular vote is for elections.
If there is no elaboration of specific thoughts/experiences or even guesses on the subject, there is really no need for head nods.

sorry to sound harsh, just trying to draw out specific opinions.

so you train inside applications for naihanchi, cool. next question: how do you position TO the inside after an incoming attack without moving your lower body? or are the applications you practice assuming you are already inside?

#281426 - 08/26/06 08:30 AM Re: Naihanchi kata [Re: Ed_Morris]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
for me one of the key messages of naihanchi application is the cross step to position yourself to one side of the attacker, who is in front of you, a bit left or a bit right - but in front of you.

ie cross step at an angle, straighten up directly (ish) to the side. The attackers attack should position them in 'your' space, so no need to step forward 'big' (ie use the kosa dachi) as in say the Pinan.

Often we are 'dragging' limbs/necks/bodies with Naihanchi step technique, set up by a load of lovely strikes/low kicks.

IMO it is absolutly an application kata, sanchin is a different animal and I agree can be considered 'tanren' or training.

Of course naihanchi as every other kata delivers fantastic training benefits as well, power sourcing, posture, hip flex etc etc. However Naihanchi 'really' focuses on those things due to it's repetative, simple format and short presentation.

I teach Pinan Sho/Ni then Naihanchi Sho/Ni and believe this to be a good method of teaching the basis of shorin ryu technique before the 'classical' kata, begining with seisan.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#281427 - 08/26/06 08:34 AM Re: Naihanci kata [Re: oldman]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Oldman,

your post re your drawings is exactly what was mentioned/discussed previously about using the Naihanchi Dachi in application, the toes should be straight forward or more likely out just a little, 22.5 degrees works for me!

In the kata I train them at straight forward for power generation reasons and form, in application it all 'lossens' up a little, it has to - to work.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#281428 - 08/26/06 09:51 AM Re: Naihanchi kata [Re: Ed_Morris]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

how do you position TO the inside after an incoming attack without moving your lower body?
Hi ED

And how would I get inside ED?

Your second question
or are the applications you practice assuming you are already inside?

My answer
They can be practiced stand alone yes.

Hi Ed again
The anwer to your question.Im going to be as cryptic as you normaly are.
so as I see it the kata Naifanchi,translated from okinawan

to "stepping with stealth"?

which is used as a "tanren"

kata on the birth place of karate.

To answer your question while still nodding my head and totaly agreeing with medulant in that some of you guys dont read what he writes.

Does the Naihanchi kata being practiced in the place where karate came from just use the horse stance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motobu_Choki

This gentle man used Naihanchi.In fact the way he uses it exactly how I would expect it to be used from a "Fighter".
I have some where on my computer an old black and white film/vidio of him drilling it with another famouse karate ka.
They dont just use horse stance either.

So Im going to be cryptic here, just like you are in your own thought provoking way, and say to you seek out the old black and white film of him drilling the kata.Or look at the kata being used in the place karate came from. There in lies your answer.Then in one of your classes work out how to use the technique to get inside an attack

Practice the techniques as a stand alone method

Then have someone as i did throw full contact techniques at you and make the thing use able.

Then use what you have in full contact sparring.(but pull on some techniques after all ukes are of little use injured.
After all isnt that kata was for? Usable techniques?
No good to me if they have no use.Then it becomes a dance.

I dont mind your attempts at sounding harsh Ed, My training partners can be harsher.

How was your mawashi class?

Edited by ANDY44 (08/26/06 10:53 AM)

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga