FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111, BUJU, Pilsungkarate
22931 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22931 Members
36 Forums
35588 Topics
432519 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#281111 - 10/16/06 08:43 PM Re: Youth MMA competition [Re: AndrewGreen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Why shouldn't they be hitting? There's no objective reason for that, you're just being emotional.

#281112 - 10/17/06 03:36 PM Re: Youth MMA competition [Re: migo]
AndrewGreen Offline
shadow-lurker

Quote:

Why shouldn't they be hitting? There's no objective reason for that, you're just being emotional.

Personal preference.

My kids class hits plenty, just not in competition. I'd prefer that if they where to compete it be grappling based.

#281113 - 10/17/06 03:54 PM Re: Youth MMA competition [Re: AndrewGreen]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
If they hit in class, why not in competition?

When you spar in class, you learn your opponents well, since you have to fight them on a regular basis. Competition gives you the opportunity to fight someone new.

Are you concerned about the control of the unknown opponent? or is it something else? As I mentioned before, I just don't see the risk. While I have only been to maybe 15 tournaments, I just haven't seen a lot of injuries, and certainly no life threatening ones.

Granted, I haven't done any grappling, but it would seem to me there would be just as much a risk of injury as there would be in a striking competition, like TKD. Misplaced elbow to someones nose, pulled muscles or dislocations, etc...

oh, and what would you have all of the young TKD competetors do at a competition? See who could kiup the loudest?

Laura

#281114 - 10/17/06 05:11 PM Re: Youth MMA competition [Re: tkd_high_green]
AndrewGreen Offline
shadow-lurker

Got nothing to do with Risk, I'd just prefer them to wrestle competitively then punch other kids in the face competitively. When they are all friends and it is non-competitive that is entirely different then in a competitive setting.

Wrestling is "fun" it's "play" kids do it instinctely for fun, but very few punch each other in the face for fun.

And if I had to choose a competive striking format for them, I'd definately favour one like the Pankration video over a TKD format without hesitation.

#281115 - 10/17/06 05:14 PM Re: Youth MMA competition [Re: AndrewGreen]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Interesting, you've got quite a different viewpoint from most people I've met.

#281116 - 10/17/06 05:41 PM Re: Youth MMA competition [Re: AndrewGreen]
Spade Offline

Loc: Auburn, Al.
While I was in mexico building houses, the kids there punched each other in the face and wrestled, both were just aspects of playing.

I know in the states we discourge punching someone in the face over wrestling.

#281117 - 07/03/07 08:45 PM Re: Youth MMA competition [Re: Crash]
musicalmike235 Offline

I really don't know what I think of youth MMA. I love MMA. Its one of the few sports that I actually go out of my way to watch on TV. But, you also have to take into account that kids may not have the maturity to handle MMA. I am not knocking it. As I said, I really can't decide how I feel about this.

#281118 - 11/14/07 03:37 AM Re: Youth MMA competition [Re: IExcalibui2]
StFenrir Offline
Stranger

Quote:

kids learning martial arts?
kids learning and encouraged to beat each other up?

thes kids arent mature enough to engage in such competition. No sportsman ship is there or professionalism. I mean if 2 of these kids go to school with one another can you imagine what could happen in the yard at recess? Too early to introduce something that could potentially create a violent adult. If the were in highschool I would give it to them, but some of these kids look like they're in the 3rd grade

I disagree. Teaching your children how to defend themselves must include how to throw a proper punch, knee, elbow, or kick and all the like. They are learning to defend themselves not play games. However the master (the parent or teacher, both even better) must also teach the aprentice WHEN to use his/her abillities and WHEN NOT to use them. It is sipmply a matter of teaching them to mature rather than letting it (hoping it) will happen sooner or later. If the aprentice should go against these teachings then he or she should be disaplined and thuroughly so in order to teach them that if they hurt someone that does not pose a TRUE threat to them then they will be punished, either by the master or by the law when they come of age. Therefor i find nothing wrong with this other then the people in charge need to teach those kids to keep their chins tucked.

#281119 - 11/14/07 11:23 AM Re: Youth MMA competition [Re: StFenrir]
Blackrainbow Offline
Dragon

Loc: Brandon Fl.USA
I have not been able to go look at the videos. I will have to wait until I get home. But I have some real concerns based upon the comments I am reading. First of all, are we talking sports or self defense? Two very seperate things. Second, if we are talking MMA as a contact sport what age group are we talking about ? High school age kids 16-17 I might say ok. Any younger not so much. Everywhere we look in our society nowadays it is all about "extreme". What is too extreme when we are talking about children ? As a medical professional, ma instructor and a parent (grandparent) I think we need to re think some of this. I started Judo at age 10 under one of the best sensei in the country. It only took about a year before I suffered my first serious injury, a shoulder seperation. In an 11 year old kid this is not a minor, suck it up and move on injury. Childrens bodies are not miniature versions of adults. They are different. And childrens minds are not miniature versions of adults. Kids in Mexico may slap the c**p out of each other and they consider it play. I have been in some places where I have seen 12 year olds carrying AK 47's and it's considered "normal" there. I think we need to be very careful about uping the violence level for kids in the MA's. As a nurse, I am duty bound to report even a suspicion of child abuse. Any instructor who told me that he/she considers broken noses or dislocated limbs to be a normal part of training youth in the dojo is going to be on my call list.

#281120 - 11/16/08 11:14 AM Re: Youth MMA competition [Re: Blackrainbow]
SportsLady Offline
Stranger

I saw this video recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlwEdx4BjGw

It's one thing to be pushing your boys to do this nonsense.. but making a little girl learn how to beat up other human beings is going to far. This little girl has no desire to do this.. it obviously her parents pushing her. If she wanted to do a sport it would be soccer or cheerleading, no little girl wakes up one day and says I want to learn to brutaly harm others. Boys and MMA might be be okay under the right cercumstances girls and MMA --> I dont think so

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga