FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 70 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#280497 - 06/05/07 07:40 AM Re: Aikido vs any fighting art [Re: dalen7]
evad74 Offline

Loc: Qld, Australia
Quote:

Its about knowing yourself, your body, and whats right for you. (Thats when you master an art...you dont master the art, but rather understand how to adapt the art to you - i.e. break the rules)

beautifully said
I think this would apply across the board no matter what art/arts you study.

Quote:

The heart is to adapt to the moment.

Quote:

At the end, it depends on the situation and the people fighting.

again

#280498 - 06/05/07 07:58 PM Re: Aikido vs any fighting art [Re: evad74]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I hate to rain on the "kumbayah" parade, but fighting is always about intent and "the moment". You can train for years doing one art or the other, and it's all out the window when the guy you're fighting kicks you in the groin or punches you in the throat. A good "eye poke" can change your plans too, and I can vouch for the fact that when you get poked in the eye, you can't see anything for awhile.

Steven Segal used to say in his movies "chance favors the prepared mind"... and that's entirely true. If you're training to be training, the first pain will stop or alter the fight. If you train to fight, you'll have two posititons... off and on. Pain won't matter as much, and your intent will change your focus from "doing a technique" to "eliminating the threat".

Going back to the basics of the arts, and learning some additional striking skills will make Aikido much better for you in self defense situations, because you most likely won't try some very complicated technique if you're defending yourself (unless you like getting hurt)... so it's like all the other arts... back to basics. Hit'em if you can, and then do whatever you can to them.

I have to laugh when I hear that you "wait on your attacker" and redirect his energy... and I don't know that Toyoda Sensei or any other Aikido teacher I've had has told me that. They have told me to "blend" with my attacker, but never what the great and hairy unwashed seem to think of Aikido's "principles"... that there's no attack in Aikido. As a fighting art, it's one of the principal skills... we just keep it well hidden.

#280499 - 06/05/07 08:57 PM Re: Aikido vs any fighting art [Re: wristtwister]
evad74 Offline

Is your reply to me ?

#280500 - 06/05/07 10:03 PM Re: Aikido vs any fighting art [Re: evad74]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Actually to both of you. Your understanding of the arts change with combat. While you can go on the great esoteric search for understanding licking postage stamps, the practical side of your arts depend on your intent in training. It has nothing to do with others, other than the fact that you need others to gain skills. The better their skills, the better yours.

Quote:

Its about knowing yourself, your body, and whats right for you.

That's learned by combat, in combat arts. It's called technique.

Quote:

"the moment" is what it is all about. The art "is" the moment.

Quote:

At the end, it depends on the situation and the people fighting.

Uh oh! Wrong answer, but thank you for playing...

Aikido is like a tornado... the center is calm, and everything around you is swept up in it's movement... if you touch it, you're swept away... but calm at the heart.

In any art, "you do what you do"... if it depends on anything outside of yourself, it isn't an art... it's a practice. If it depends on your opponents... it's sport or self defense.
Quote:

when you master an art...you dont master the art, but rather understand how to adapt the art to you

... no, you "become" the art... and "you do what you do". You only master yourself. Outside influences are only distractions from art... be they attackers, noise in the dojo, phone calls, pagers, or anything that interrupts your "extending ki", including misconceptions. They are simply "bumps in the road"...

I could write volumes, but that is the long and short of it.

#280501 - 06/06/07 02:46 AM Re: Aikido vs any fighting art [Re: wristtwister]
evad74 Offline

First of all,
Quote:

I hate to rain on the "kumbayah" parade

As for the rest, I think I can see what your saying, but I just took the statements differently. I think that you only get a good handle on a technique/principle once you make it yours, make it work with your strengths and weaknesses - not trying to learn/copy it exactly down to the smallest angle the way someone else is doing it. Everyones different. I went to a school one time were the sensei walked around with a clipboard putting it up to peoples arms to make sure there was a PERFECT right angle at the elbow...c'mon, get over yourself(not you).

Quote:

Quote:

"the moment" is what it is all about. The art "is" the moment.

I think that the ability to adapt to a situation or changing conditions is something that should be at the center of your training, no sense trying to think about "techniques" that you know - but train to go with what's happening. Similar to what you said about a good eye poke changing your plans.

As far as the "At the end, it depends on the situation and the people fighting", I think that any X vs Y thread could be answered this way. Situation = street/ring with rules. People = skilled/average/poor or agressive/passive.

Just my opinion, though I have to admit I didn't read every post in this thread so I may have taken it out of context.

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga