FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#279304 - 08/15/06 04:42 AM drug question
peter586 Offline

hey my mate has resently been training with me and training preety hard but he does marijuana now and then somtimes once a week, i have tryed to warn him off it but he doesent seem to want to quit,what effects will it have on his training for instance will it stop him from seing any results from his training and stuff like that? if anyone could give any information on marijuana and exercise i would apreciate it i have looked on the net but cant seem to find that kind of information. thanks alot.
Also he says when he smokes it it makes him want to exercise which is the effect it has had on me in the past i also read from a nutritionest who also gets the same effect and says it would make it beter for but only in moderation is this true??

Edited by peter586 (08/15/06 04:53 AM)

#279305 - 08/15/06 04:47 AM Re: drug question [Re: peter586]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
apart from basiclly destroying your brain and turning you into a vegetable, marijuana is actually a really great substance! Oh yeah Id say it will have a massive impact on his training physically and mentally, and he will have the reflexes of a slab of concrete.

Edited by crablord (08/15/06 04:50 AM)

#279306 - 08/15/06 09:43 AM Re: drug question [Re: peter586]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
It makes you want to exercise!?!

i spent well over 15 years doing a pretty fantastic impression of Cheech n' Chong, and i can honestly say that all it ever motivated me and my many friends to do was drink tea, eat junk food, play video games and watch movies. The idea of being stoned when working out is crazy- it affects your coordination, makes you lethargic and actually acts as a pychological depressant when used systematicaly (if you are used to being 'high' then your unaltered state comes to be interpreted as 'low', thus it can be psychologicaly addictive)

The physical facts are that smoking it damages your lungs. The pro dope movement would have you believe it is less carcinogenic than cigarettes, but its not true (ask Bob Marley- oh no, you cant, he died of cancer ). Dope is inhaled and held in a different way to cigarette smoke, and so has been shown to damage the windpipe and entry area to the lungs more than the area that cigarettes are known to attack.

As well as the lung damage (great for CV fitness) and the depressive lethargy (always sure to make you sparkle in the gym), you have the dreaded 'munchies'. I have a good appetite, but the amount of food that you can eat when the 'munch' hits you is obscene. I would regularly think nothing of demolishing an 18" house special pizza (delivered of course) in one sitting, and find room for ice cream after a break! binging on convenience food does no favours for your physiology or your waistline.

whatever stance you take on marijuana, be it pro or con, and for whatever reasons, social or political, neither side of the argument could put forward a convincing argument for Weed as a performance enhancer.

There was a guy in the snowboarding event of the winter olympics who tested positive for marijuana and had his medal stripped from him. I always thought he should have been given extra credit for being able to do that stuff stoned!

It is true that there has been considerable 'breeding' of different marijuana strains over the years, and that there are differing strengths dependant on the amount of HTH (the active element of the plant). The effects are also more unpredictable in marijuana resin ('solid' or 'soap bar'), because those that make it (organised criminals) dont care about your wellbeing, and put anything from engine oil to excrement in the mix during its creation. ingesting the other ingredients in ignorance along with the marijuana can do anything from make it seem weak, to leave you crawling around the floor with a splitting headache working out which bit of carpet you are going to vomit on.

I would never advocate its use, but if it is your choice to use marijuana, I would recommend avoiding resin on the grounds of not knowing what you are really taking, making it far more dangerous.

Edited by Cord (08/15/06 09:58 AM)

#279307 - 08/15/06 09:54 AM Re: drug question [Re: peter586]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I've never known anyone who smoked pot long term that ever did anything else long term. Not keep a job, a relationship, or a physical regimen. Unless, of course, they were supported by friends, family or a trust account.

20 years from now, check back with your friend.

#279308 - 08/15/06 10:06 AM Re: drug question [Re: harlan]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I've never seen anyone drunk or stoned in a dojo/gym. hope I never do.

pot and the high that comes with it sucks. want to feel something incredible? do a marathon, go skydiving or have a menage a trois.

throw the drugs away, start living.

edit - oops...not addressed to you, harlan. lol

#279309 - 08/15/06 10:28 AM Re: drug question [Re: Ed_Morris]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

I'm so staid. No drugs, no menage...ah well.

#279310 - 08/15/06 11:00 AM Re: drug question [Re: Ed_Morris]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
I have seen and smelled weed on plenty of people, it's funny because they must think that that last puff in the car on the way to training disapears before they step into the dojo. I haven't smelled it in years but when we did the class was extra hard that night.....brutally hard......I'm going to pass out hard....time to quite hard, everyone got the point. Personally I don't understand the point of getting high before class, although if I remember correctly it does make "Oreo cookies and milk" taste good!

#279311 - 08/15/06 11:16 AM Re: drug question [Re: peter586]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

I'd like to expand on my previous post. My personal view is: whatever floats your boat...I just don't want to have to share the boat. I have a lot of personal issues on this from having to deal with others who have chosen a 'head' lifestyle.

Personally, as far as ALL drugs go and this includes pain medication, if I don't need it to sustain life I prefer to do without. I lived through the 'hippie decade', and have a 'do what thou wilt' attitude. (Or, as the Victorians used to say: 'Do what you want - but keep it out of the streets so you don't scare the horses.') There are folks with real ailments that are alleviated by drugs...and for them it is a necessary dependancy.

My personal preference if for mental acuity; clarity of perception is the one aspect of the martial arts that I think is the most important. And smoking interferes with this.

#279312 - 08/15/06 11:46 AM Re: drug question [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

There was a guy in the snowboarding event of the winter olympics who tested positive for marijuana and had his medal stripped from him. I always thought he should have been given extra credit for being able to do that stuff stoned!

This was our own Canadian Ross Rebagliati and was during the Winter Olympics in Nagano in 1998. I remember his interviews and said he was in a room with others doing it and he must of inhaled so the results were from second hand smoke. I don't believe that one bit but I do believe he "wasn't" stoned when performing but got "stoned" probably the night before. Many of the snowboarders that I have seen this seems to go hand and hand. Just as a note, he "did" get to keep the medal.

And on track with this thread ... I can't see how getting high would give you the feeling of working out???? I can see the other way as most people I know have or take it to relieve themselves and to come down and relax. The last time I tried it was when I was 19 and I have had no want to do it since. I never even did it big as drugs were just not my thing and did it more to fit in with the group I was with. Harlan has it right, very few people who are big into this really go anywhere. In fact 2 of my friends died being high and drunk while being passengers in the backseat of a car. The driver and the passenger survived but they did not. Previous to their deaths they really weren't doing much with their lives and probably why I had not hung around with them for many years. I'm moving ahead in life not standing still or regressing. People have to make their own choices and then live those lives ... but if they choose wrong then they have absolutely no reason to complain about their lives. You reap what you sow!

#279313 - 08/15/06 02:54 PM Re: drug question [Re: peter586]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
Mmmmm drugs are bad, thats why you should do drugs, mmmkay.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga