FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:17 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432446 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 48 of 50 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 >
Topic Options
#423312 - 11/01/09 08:41 PM Re: Zombies! [Re: Stormdragon]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Cord, when I was a kid walking through the hardware store (or any other store) with my dad I would scour the racks to see what items would make the best weapons and how many I would be able to carry/load into the car. Back then I was not preparing for zombies, but ninjas. But I think that mental training would transfer well in this situation.

#423316 - 11/02/09 06:06 AM Re: Zombies! [Re: JoelM]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Cord-I do love the slingshot idea; a good wrist rocket would brutally effective against a zombie and what's like we'll run out of rocks anytime soon? If it was good enough for ancient, primitive man, it's good enough for us I suppose. Doesnt take much maintenance.
2 years to prepare my friends, good luck in the Zombie Apocalypse!
Joel-I'll remember to keep it under 100 mph. :p

Edited by Stormdragon (11/02/09 06:13 AM)
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#423324 - 11/02/09 12:35 PM Re: Zombies! [Re: Stormdragon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Originally Posted By: Stormdragon
Cord, haven't we learned something about Zombie Apocalyps's and Malls from Dawn of the Dead?
Look at the roving Bikers, they did fine till they got themselves trapped in the mall with the other would-be survivors.

I think you will find that the mall survivors were doing well until the roving bikers trashed the security of the mall.

I would ensure that it was defended as vigourously from the living as the dead. If your not on the list, your not coming in wink

#423326 - 11/02/09 01:52 PM Re: Zombies! [Re: Cord]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Keep in mind BOTH Dawn of the Dead's. In the new one they just sat around waiting to go insane and run out of supplies, and keep in mind the high possibility of a military carpet bombing. I'm sure you could do a fine job handling crazy people but you'll have at most 6 months of supplies. And less with each additional mouth to feed. Also keep in mind you'll lose outward forms of comunication when civil services and utilities go down. Plumbing would be a pain as well, and generators only last so long. If you want to make that work plan on having a scout/scaenger team well armed and ready to periodically make trips out for more supplies and weapons. I still think the key is armed movements from place to place, maybe with a couple bases in out of the way spots. Helicopter overwatch would be a plus as well.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#423330 - 11/02/09 03:11 PM Re: Zombies! [Re: Stormdragon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Keep in mind BOTH Dawn of the Dead's.

There is only one Dawn of the Dead. I dont dislike Zach Snyders movie, but its not Dawn of the Dead, anymore than putting mouse ears on th Jigsaw Puppet makes Saw a Disney movie wink

Quote:
and keep in mind the high possibility of a military carpet bombing.

No way would they resort to military action of such nature. They didnt with SARS, or Swine Flu, or HIV, or any other potentialy lethal infection. Real world precident says there would be lots of talk and career saving/making over usefull action.

Quote:
I'm sure you could do a fine job handling crazy people but you'll have at most 6 months of supplies.

The mall I have chosen has a garden centre, so I am looking at sustainable food sources - 2 of the people on my list are keen allotment keepers.

Quote:
And less with each additional mouth to feed. Also keep in mind you'll lose outward forms of comunication when civil services and utilities go down.

Semaphore, mirrors, smoke. Regression is not loss.

Quote:
Plumbing would be a pain as well

Garde lieu!!

Quote:
and generators only last so long. If you want to make that work plan on having a scout/scaenger team well armed and ready to periodically make trips out for more supplies and weapons.

Agreed. I used to work in a gas station, and know how to pump from tanks manualy

Quote:
I still think the key is armed movements from place to place, maybe with a couple bases in out of the way spots. Helicopter overwatch would be a plus as well.

I have a pilot (light aircraft) on my list, but the best strategy would be to start with a secure nucleus, containing skilled people. From there, you have time to work out a strategy from which to move out, like ripples in a pond, securing a radius according to small expansions based on key features (supply points/secure points), until such time as a permanent secure area is defined and enclosed, and can be defended and lived in.

If you have a civil engineer and an expert mountaineer on your list, you can set up a system of roof to roof travel, giving you a greater run of the city/town you are in.

#423334 - 11/02/09 03:54 PM Re: Zombies! [Re: Cord]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Those other outbreaks you mentioned didnt include hostile infected prone to cannabalism. They didn't use military action because those weren't cases dealing with violent forces.
It was a purely medical/scientific area (which the Army takes part in often times) whereas this would be a combat situation as well and such a magnitude as I said above with possibility for survivors/troops becoming infected and then infiltrating and breaking out, I don't believe they would take the risk with a "clear and hold" approach. Imagine Portland, Seattle, and Denver 85% infected each. They would barely be able to control the perimeters of all the infected areas let alone send in teams to clear the cities and retake control nor would those teams know how to handle the infected but not yet turned individuals they found. And the miltiary would be too focused on tracking infected individuals who already escaped to other areas. There would not be enough manpower or a low enough risk to attempt to save everyone. I'm sure they would try and find a cure and give people a chance to get to safety but I don't believe they'd honestly attempt to take back the cities by a ground force. Like I said, if it was one or two smallish cities sure but not a Dawn of the Dead situation. Not saying they would jump to that right off, but I think it would be the end solution.

You have definitely thought out your plan very thoroughly though, dang. I'd have a couple small bases tucked away, equally spaced over an area the size of New Jersey and just rove taking what I could find and using each base as rest points and storage facilities. I'd be on the road a lot though finding supplies and survivors, with helicopter overwatch, preferably one at each base circling at a radius of a few miles providing gun support and MEDEVAC capability. Obviously I couldnt have them follow me on long range trips but they would be nice to have and could move out from their little circles in emergencies. Or follow for specific danger areas. Radio's would be a big priority, you gotta have comms between everyone.
I really wouldn't want one huge base that would be constantly expanded due to the difficulty of manning large perimeters, I'd prefer having a lot of small, hidden bases with tucked away entrances.

#423338 - 11/02/09 07:10 PM Re: Zombies! [Re: Stormdragon]
rideonlythelabel Offline
Veteran

Loc: st-hubert quebec canada
Well, the US army invaded Irak and Afghanistan on the ground, didn't they? And the rebels have guns and bombs. Zombies are baffled by door knobs.

Instead of reclaiming territory, the army could work on re-establishing cell phone networks. That way, survivors could give their position and be extracted by helicopters and armored vehicles.

That being said, I don't believe a transmission-by-bite zombie outbreak would be very dangerous. The ubiquity of cell phones means that everybody outside the immediate epicenter of the outbreak would have warning of the danger. From then on, safety is as simple as climbing up on the roof and pulling up the ladder behind you. Also, there is no way zombies could take a military base, even if there was a hundred thousand of them.

For a true zombie apocalypse, you would need a virus that is extremely contagious, like the flu, and has a long latency period, like AIDS. That way, most people would already be infected by the time anyone realizes what's going on.

#423342 - 11/02/09 10:00 PM Re: Zombies! [Re: rideonlythelabel]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/about/colony.html

I can't be the only guy who watched and loved this show. Unfortunately I didn't get to watch them all. Looking for them on reruns.

#423347 - 11/03/09 03:28 AM Re: Zombies! [Re: JoelM]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Dare I mention Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Berlin, napalm and bombings in Vietnam, and a number of cases of heavy bomb attacks in Afghanistan and Iraq on towns/villages that are known enemy strongholds.
The military obviously will use those tactics if need be. Actually we've only stopped using heavy bomb and arty attacks in A-stan since the world got upset about it. IT all depends on the situation.
Once again I keep saying that such tactics would most likely only be used in the case of a large infestation in multiple areas/cities. Not right off the bat against a couple small, isolated areas.

Edited by Stormdragon (11/03/09 03:30 AM)

#423355 - 11/03/09 01:24 PM Re: Zombies! [Re: Stormdragon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Dare I mention Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Berlin, napalm and bombings in Vietnam, and a number of cases of heavy bomb attacks in Afghanistan and Iraq on towns/villages that are known enemy strongholds.
The military obviously will use those tactics if need be. Actually we've only stopped using heavy bomb and arty attacks in A-stan since the world got upset about it. IT all depends on the situation.

Your historic examples would never happen in today's world. We live in a world of satellite guidance and 'smart weapons', the public dont even tolerate high military casualties (on either side), let alone blanket bombing done with knowledge of innocent casualties, especially its own nationals. No way.

As for the situation, like it or not, 'In God you trust', and as such, with zombies, the debate would rage on regarding if they were without their immutable soul. Remember, the US govt. is Christian-centric, and Christ was the most famous zombie of them all. No way would a govt. risk upsetting flag waving voters by blowing up their friends and families, even if they were rotting at the time.

Page 48 of 50 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga