FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 76 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#277953 - 09/01/06 03:11 AM Re: katana sharpening [Re: corsair]
Woku Offline

I'd have to disagree. A lot of the folks on here have to much Chen on the blade. I am in China right now, and I can tell you, there are quite a few gifted smiths here. It is a larger world then some of these folks know when it comes to swords, and Chen is not the only Rooster in the hen house, as they say. Keep an open mind, and don't be so quick to form elitist views of products that may or may not be good. Who made the sword you have, is it differentially temepered, and if so, whats the rockwell? Any idea if it is plain high carbon, a spring steel, or something else? Doe's it pass any key stress tests, email me if you wish to know what tests. Paul Chen, while having become a popular name to compare quality blades to, is crap for the most part, so I actually have higher standards then most of the folks here. What makes me different in one aspect, although I am likely different in others, but in this aspect, it's an open mind. Good steel is good steel, look for it and you may find it in places you never imagined. Don't look, and you'll be convinced only very few people make it, and you'll never really find much or any of it, as many here can likely attest to.

#277954 - 09/01/06 09:23 AM Re: katana sharpening [Re: Woku]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Excuse me for saying this, but you seem to be the person with Paul Chen on the blade. Most of us at this forum, the one's who know better anyway, recognize Paul Chen as fairly entry level stuff of lower end quality and a real quality assurance problem. The usual advice is that if you plan to buy one go through someone who will take the time to put them through a second QA procedure before selling them. It's not entirely Hanweii's fault. They crank out a truly enourmous number of blades. Problems are to be expected during that kind of mass production, if you're trying to keep the costs as super low as they do.

#277955 - 09/01/06 12:26 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: Woku]
pgsmith Offline

Loc: Texas
Mr. Woku,
You seem to be suffering the same misconception that most people who don't actually practice a Japanese sword art have. You seem to be obsessed with steel and blade. Most people are, and talk incessantly about Rockwell hardness, how shiny the blade is (or not), what the hamon looks like, and how much abuse it will handle. I suppose this is important if you are planning on abusing your sword. However, for those of us that actually use our Japanese style swords in the manner in which they were intended, the fit and finish is of overriding importance. If the wrap comes loose through regular use, it doesn't matter how well made the blade is. Likewise, if the sword is misaligned in the tsuka, or the saya is warped or poorly shaped, or the tang is loose in the handle, or the tsuba is mounted at an angle, or the kashira is loose enough to slip off the end of the handle, the sword is then useless unless repaired. (I have seen all of these things on Chinese made Japanese style swords) At several hundred dollars for a new handle, or a new saya, what good is a cheap sword then?

In my opinion, the Chen swords, as well as Masahiro, Cheness, and others, are barely adequate if they are thoroughly inspected first. You really do generally get what you pay for in the Japanese sword world.

#277956 - 09/05/06 01:16 AM Re: katana sharpening [Re: pgsmith]
JAD Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
I' new here, but it seems to me that our "old guy" just wants to frighten off the attacker. Almost 25 years in prison work has shown me that criminals are very good at "reading" their intended victims, ergo, trying to scare them off won't work unless they can see that you intend to hurt them. The sword is only a tool. YOU are the weapon!

#277957 - 09/06/06 03:35 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: Woku]
HcCCRI Offline
Stranger

Ok, i have just purchased 2 Very sharp Masahiro Katanas, Hand forged, the whole bit.

One will be for cutting and demonstration, One is for sale and hanging on my wall until somone buys it.

is there a tool you can buy, or a cheap way of resharpening a katana without messing it up?

#277958 - 09/06/06 03:56 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: HcCCRI]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Katanas are not sharpened, they are polished. It's a significantly different process. What's more, unless you abuse it, a good katana will not need polishing for a good long time. They hold their edge VERY well.

Where did you purchase these swords?

Edited by Charles Mahan (09/06/06 04:01 PM)

#277959 - 02/22/09 02:53 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: corsair]
windgypsy333 Offline
Stranger

Hi Corsair, I understand your point and in my mind there is a perfect answer for you.

Try a Ko Katana it has a normal handle but a shorter blade.
So it is very light and easy to use. Cheness makes them
at a good price and they are live cutting blades!!!

I can't understand why nobody has not already said this.
I belive in the freedom of choice and if thats what you want
go for it!!!

#277960 - 02/22/09 06:30 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: windgypsy333]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Hey Gypsy. This thread is nearly three years old. I doubt the original poster still needs advice. Please don't resurect threads that are this old in the future.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga