FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
log1call 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Today at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Today at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#277923 - 08/11/06 04:15 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: corsair]
pgsmith Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:

I appreciate what you say here. I need a life saver, not a wall hanger as I'm old and small and vulnerable. If confronted by a knife carrying intruder, I need to show I can handle it and it needs to be obviously sharp.

OK, I'm going to take the pretty obvious troll bait. Corsair, I personally think you are yanking everyone's chain. You do not sound at all like who you are proclaiming yourself to be. However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and will assume that you are being honest. What you are proposing is an assinine solution to your problem. Sharpening a cheap sword is not going to save you from anything or anybody. If you are truly worried for your safety, then I suggest you get a medium sized to large sized dog. It's easier to learn how to train a dog than it is to learn how to use a sharp sword without losing body parts. It will protect you from intruders a LOT better than you can protect yourself.

#277924 - 08/11/06 07:59 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: cxt]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

I disagree that you can't discern a mogitou from a shinken. Fake / purposely dull blades have a thick edge. Yes a dull sword can still kill someone. But a 2mm wide dull edge is pretty noticeable especially if light hits the blade right.

A real cutting blade that's been dulled on purpose looks like a live blade, but it won't cut nearly as well as one.

For the purposes you are wanting to use a sword for, I would really recommend you get some form of training in swords. I'm not going to preach to you about this, but I will tell you, when you're facing off with someone that has a knife or screwdriver, you'd better know what you're doing. Swords are not magical and in some ways knives are better than swords. Swords are big and long, and if you don't know how to use it properly, your opponent may get the better of you.

Also remember that blades are dangerous in all directions. If you drop it, move your whole body out of the way, do not try to catch it.

#277925 - 08/11/06 09:54 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: paradoxbox]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
In addition to all of the other good reasons you've been given, I'll point out something a little more tactical in nature. Swords are a poor choice indoors. Walls, ceilings, furniture, etc all get in the way. You need space to swing a sword. They aren't meant for enclosed spaces. I'd rather pickup a kitchen knife.

#277926 - 08/12/06 08:41 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: corsair]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
May I be devil's advocate for a minute, presuming corsair is serious?

What self-respecting British gentleman, no matter how old or frail, never in his life played cricket? He quite likely would have kept a vintage cricket bat as a bit of (legal) memorabilia.

Corsair, I would wager you have one or could find one at a secondhand store. Edge on those things look vicious.

If you are determined to have a metal weapon, edged, get a machete. More maneuverable inside a house and you can sharpen the bejeebers out of it.

#277927 - 08/13/06 12:47 AM Re: katana sharpening [Re: corsair]
Kendo_Noob Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Every week or so I am able to find a thread about how somebody has to protect themselves with a katana....

#277928 - 08/13/06 01:10 AM Re: katana sharpening [Re: Kendo_Noob]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

Well, if you can't defend yourself with a gun for whatever reason, why not a sword? It's the next best thing in lethal defense weapons.

#277929 - 08/14/06 12:23 AM Re: katana sharpening [Re: paradoxbox]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
The problems are multiple, Paradox. The first, as Charles and I said, is manuverability. With a gun you only have to worry about what is behind the person you are shooting at. However, with a sword, you have to worry about everything in the vicinity. Second, unlike a gun or dog, a sword doesn't make any noise to speak of. If you cock a shotgun or pistol, the burglar will know you mean business and will probably surrender, and if a large dog growls or barks, they start running. If you draw a sword, they have no idea unless they are looking at you.

Third, and most important. Lawsuits. It is currently fashionable to commit crimes because you are downtrodden. This is the only explanation I can come up with to explain huge settlements given to injured intruders and burglars. Several officers that I have spoken to have said that you are better off aiming to kill an intruder than to shoot their arms/legs (even if your aim is good enough that you could disable them). You gain a vengeful man who suddenly has a whole lot of time on his hands and free access to an attourney. The same holds for cutting an intruder's arm off with a sword.

Also to consider is that, unlike in America, where any and all available force is allowed anytime someone forcefully breaks into your home, other countries take a more "enlightened" view on home defense. For example, in Australia, it is the burden of the home owner to show that the force they used is necessary, and British Law does not accept deadly force as a means of home defense. In those countries, you may be acquitted, but you will be tried in front of a jury. It is best to not use deadly force if avoidable.

In both of these cases, it will be far better to defend yourself with an everyday item, such as a baseball bat or chef knife than with a sword. If you use a sword, the prosecution will attempt to paint you as a bloodthirsty maniac just itching to draw blood. Also, you will enlist less "just like me" empathy from the jury than if you are an average Joe defending his home with a baseball bat or his hunting rifle.

#277930 - 08/14/06 05:04 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: Benjamin1986]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

Well I'll just have to cite difference of opinion.. If you have a sword and train in swords, you should be ready to use your sword if you need to use it. Otherwise it's just glorified chambara.

IMO if your home's being invaded, the laws be damned, better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. If you weren't in enough danger to defend yourself with lethal force, you shouldn't have used a sword in the first place.

Not all swords are unsuitable for indoor use. There are a number of short swords like wakizashi, ninpo swords (long tsuka short blade), etc.. that are fine for indoor usage. I use a full size katana for indoor practice in my home.. not suitable near doorways but fine everywhere else even from a swing from daijoudan.

Just my opinion though, everyone's free to do what they like

#277931 - 08/14/06 10:55 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: paradoxbox]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
A difference of opinion indeed. I'll thank you to keep your opinions about "glorified chambara" to yourself.

#277932 - 08/15/06 08:19 AM Re: katana sharpening [Re: Charles Mahan]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
Well i live in australia and our law says that you may only use equal force against an attack, that means if he comes into your house for a few bucks and he is unarmed, then you slice his head off with a sharpened katana, you go in the slammer for murder. Ok? look mate the obvious solution here is for a baseball bat or something, If that doesnt comfort you maybe a large knife in your drawer. But a machete/katana is nothing short of ridiculous. GIGGITY GIGGITY GIGGITY!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga