FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#277913 - 08/11/06 12:57 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: corsair]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Corsair

Just an FYI.

There is almost no way--short of touching it--that one can tell a "live" blade from one with no edge at all.

From a few feet you would VERY hard pressed to tell if what you have is even a steel weapon at all.

(esp in a "heightend" situation.)

One of the better "ticks" is to do "sword demos" with an zinc alloy iaito, which not only is NOT sharp--it CAN'T be sharpned---but can cut melons and carrots just like it was the "real thing."

Think about it--say instead of a sharp sword you were holding a 3 foot length of rebar.

You can easily seriously injure or kill a man with that.

And it has no "edge" at all.

#277914 - 08/11/06 01:01 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: MattJ]
corsair Offline

I have a practice katana thanks. I don't need a wall hanger thank you, I need a life saver. Here in UK drug fuelled violent burglars are quite common, I'm old and small, so I'm vulnerable. If I have a katana and can obviously handle it I think I wouldn't be attacked so easily? If it is obviously blunt, the intruder would just laugh at me?

#277915 - 08/11/06 01:01 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: MattJ]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
Matt, he's in Britain, guns aren't exactly legal over there, sorry about that my friend.

I'd suggest either a baseball bat or a big knife. A katana is a terrible choice for home defense. You have huge numbers of things that will get in the way of your swings, narrow hallways that will restrict you to thrusts and slashes, and a confined enough space to make drawing a problem. A large knife such as a Bowie (or a large dog such as a german shepard) would be significantly more useful.

If you did use the sword for home defense (which I have already strongly recomended against above due to high risk of shattering. "Practice" katana are generally of no better quality than wallhangers, just with a different name), they wouldn't laugh even if it isn't sharp. Ever get hit upside the head with a baseball? How about with a baseball bat? You hopefully wouldn't even have to use it.

Also, you will be in a much less precarious legal position from defending your home with a baseball bat than a sword. Always assume that you will be sued by your burglar if you beat him up. If they convince a jury that you are a violent nutcase who keeps swords around in hopes of stabbing people, kiss all hopes of ever retiring goodbye.

The police officers that I've talked to tell me that the number one choice for defence is the sound of a twelve guage shot gun being cocked (the cha-chunk sound that you hear in the movies). Too bad about English law, where now only the outlaws have guns.

Edited by Benjamin1986 (08/11/06 01:03 PM)

#277916 - 08/11/06 01:08 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: Charles Mahan]
corsair Offline

I bought it from the knife center on ebay usa. It seems quite solidly made. I have a practice katana which is completely blunt. I don't need a wallhanger, I need a lifesaver. If I am under attack by a knife carryinbg burglar, I need something to protect myself? An obviously blunt katana would be an invitation to attack me?

#277917 - 08/11/06 01:18 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: paradoxbox]
corsair Offline

It is a Chinese made copy, quite well made, but low cost. I don't want a wall hanger, I need a life saver. If I'm confronted by a knife carrying intruder I need to have a working sword that won't be laughed at? I have a second blunt one, which I can learn to handle competently. I am old and small, so I need something for my own protection? Maybe I'll get a working practice Paul Chen katana, just to do the job? This one is too obviously blunt, the edge is two mm wide?

#277918 - 08/11/06 01:20 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: corsair]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Corsair

For the 2nd time.

YOU CAN'T TELL IF A KATANA IS SHARP OR NOT WITOUT TOUCHING IT.

Nothing "obvious" about it.

If you don't know that much---and refuse to listen when people take the time to try and help.

Well, if your that foolish, then you REALLY should not be playing with sharp objects of ANY kind.

Probably should steer clear of forks and use the blunt "kiddie" sissors as well.

And also for the 2nd time.

You think a 3 foot chunk of rebar is NOT a dangerous weapon???

Little difference between that and a unsharpend blade.

Buy a baseball bat, or get a length of pipe and stop whining about not having "killer" sword to protect you.

Judgeing by your posts---we are doing you a favor.

Guy like you would just end up hurting himself----or others, with a sharp blade.

Edited by cxt (08/11/06 01:24 PM)

#277919 - 08/11/06 01:29 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: Benjamin1986]
corsair Offline

I appreciate what you say here. I need a life saver, not a wall hanger as I'm old and small and vulnerable. If confronted by a knife carrying intruder, I need to show I can handle it and it needs to be obviously sharp. This one has a blade where the endge is round about two mm wide, so it would make an intruder laugh! I would have to be very careful not to strike anything too hard, in case it might shatter? I can get a decent Paul Chen Practical2 sword for 130 on ebay? If I had a knife, I'd run away from someone waving a katana?

#277920 - 08/11/06 01:38 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: corsair]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
Corsair, if you swing that at a man's neck, he will go down. 2 mm wide? If you can get a good amount of force on that, you will bite into his neck, you will draw blood, and you will probably give him a concussion, crush his windpipe, and/or snap his neck. Humans are rather fragile creatures.

Besides, the average burglar is out to get a few quick bucks and get out without getting hurt or the cops on his tail. If they feel that they are being threatened, most will cut and run rather than risk a fight. If they see a man with a sword, their mind will not think analytically. Even if the light is perfect and they have 20/20 vision, almost no one wouldn't realize that it isn't sharp outside of three feet. Their response will be one of two things, shoot or run. Unless they have a gun already drawn, the response will probably be to run. If not, aim for the neck or the stomach. You cannot afford to hesitate in that situation.

#277921 - 08/11/06 01:44 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: cxt]
corsair Offline

Well my friend, If I look at a blade which is 2mm wide at the edge, it is obviously blunt isn't it? I thank you for your well-meant advice. I'm not whining, it's not my nature thank you. I simply want a decent chance to live. Of course a cheap sword is dangerous to use, due to it's fragile nature and I understand that I don't think I could handle a steel bar or a baseball bat convincingly enough? I still think a katana is a viable option for me.

#277922 - 08/11/06 01:44 PM Re: katana sharpening [Re: corsair]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Corsair

Dude, buddy, pal.

Either get real or stop wasting everyones time.

If your too "old small and vulnerable" to swing a ball bat---you could not swing a katana effectivly either.

Like I said, you can't tell without touching if a katana is sharp or not.
You certainly can't tell in a dark home, high stress stituation etc.

Your raiseing bogus objections.

You hit a guy in the head with a zinc iaito and your going to drop him.

Yeah YOU "would run away."
But then again YOU are not likely to be invading anyones home either.

You assumeing a thug will be as easy to frighten off as you--being "old small and vulnarable" would be.

What makes you think you can even get to your sharp katana should someone break in????

What if your sleeping--the "old" generally sleep pretty soundly.
What if you don't hear them?
"Old" people sometimes have less than perfect hearing.
What if you can't get the blade out in time?
Reflexs tend to slow down as we age after all.

Bogus objections.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga