FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#277133 - 08/05/06 11:49 PM advice on thailand trip please
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

Loc: Ontario, Canada
So this is what's going on with me, I have to do one more semester of school and then I'll be finished , I should be done around January. After that I've decided to get a job and save as much money as I can for a year or two and train hard at the same time, I'll try to get as many amatuer kickboxing fights as I can. Then I plan to travel. I've been seriously considering a trip to thailand to learn Muay Thai, I know it's not the only place to learn but I've wanted to go for a long time, I just want to travel and get out of my home town for awhile, better yet my country, I've never even left Canada before. I currently do Kickboxing but I want to make a transition to Muay Thai at some point. And since I've been wanting to go backpacking or something I found a site www.lonelyplanet.com and on the thailand forum I looked under sports and found a list of sites to thai boxing gyms with accomodations and such, many of them specialize in training forieners.

www.bestmuaythai.com - Phuket
www.fairtexbkk.com - Samutprakarn (35~45 minutes north of Bangkok)
www.horizonmuaythai.com/index.html - Ko Pha Ngan
www.lannamuaythai.com - Chiang Mai
www.phuketmuaythai.com - Phuket
www.sityodtong.com/home.htm - Pattaya
www.thaiboxings.com - Sor.Vorapin, Jakapong Rd (near KSR), Panakorn, Bangkok - article
www.wmcmuaythaicamp.com - Ko Samui (Lamai)

I know it's alot to look at but I would be really, really, really thankful to get opinions on these places, especially from people who have trained in thailand before, and especially Taison who, as I understand lives in thailand and has trained in Muay Thai for years. If anybody has heard of these gyms please tell me what you know about them.

Some things to consider: I wouldn't be going for about two years or so, I only speak english but I'd be completely willing to learn how to speak thai, I'd want to stay and train for at LEAST a few months.

I'm thinking ahead right now, I figure I'm young and don't have major obligations to stay here so why not take advantage while I have the chance?

thank you in advance! thank you, thank you, thank you!

#277134 - 08/06/06 03:22 AM Re: advice on thailand trip please [Re: Crash]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
....Taison help?

#277135 - 08/07/06 11:29 AM Re: advice on thailand trip please [Re: IExcalibui2]
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

#277136 - 08/07/06 05:07 PM Re: advice on thailand trip please [Re: Crash]
shaokhan79 Offline

i've been to lanna muay thai myself. since it's up in the north in chiang mai, the weather was much cooler than bangkok, which made training bearable.

i think you have to take into account the weather in your choice. from what i remember, parts of thailand go to rain seasons, especially in the south (phuket).

and take note that some cities like pattaya is known as a city built on sex tourism... not sure if it'll be your kind of city for a few months.

do drop by at lumpini stadium in bangkok, and feel the energy of the thai crowd...

#277137 - 08/07/06 09:42 PM Re: advice on thailand trip please [Re: shaokhan79]
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

Thank you for your reply! I have taken in to consideration the weather and I sure won't be going during typhoon season . By the way when did you train with lanna muay thai? and for how long? did you have one trainer or a bunch while you were there?

#277138 - 08/08/06 05:45 PM Re: advice on thailand trip please [Re: Crash]
shaokhan79 Offline

i stayed about a week in chiang mai and trained for 3 days... it was a typical vacation (2 weeks long) so i didn't have more time to train. But being able to train in MT in thailand was one of the main reason why i chose to go there. That and things are insanely cheap from a canadian standard... (also from canada )

the owner of the lanna muay thai (a brit i think) was absent during my stay there (off to teach in seminars or something) which was kinda unfortunate as it was obvious that i couldn't be made a MT fighter in 3 days so i wanted to focus on elbows/knees to compliment my usual kung fu training. Except the owner the other trainers speak little english, and i was unable to specify my needs. regardless, i learned a lot in those 3 days.

there were about 4 trainers total, i'm not sure how it works in a typical gym, but they'd come to me and we'd do pad work. i didn't have one specific guy with me...

i think Chiang mai > bangkok. the polluted air in bang kok is killer.

be safe in thailand... u dont' want to bring a STD as a souvenir.

#277139 - 08/08/06 06:51 PM Re: advice on thailand trip please [Re: shaokhan79]
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

So did all the trainers speak english?

#277140 - 08/08/06 08:40 PM Re: advice on thailand trip please [Re: shaokhan79]
shaokhan79 Offline

Quote:

Except the owner the other trainers speak little english, and i was unable to specify my needs. regardless, i learned a lot in those 3 days.

very little... but they know "training" words. my favorite trainer kept saying balance! balance! whenever i kicked.

#277141 - 08/09/06 04:19 AM Re: advice on thailand trip please [Re: Crash]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
I've been to most of those places and to be honest, some of them are quite expensive.

Fairtex is famous for it's over-the-average price. Staying and living with them will be like living in a 4 star hotel, except you'll sweat and not be very comfortable.

Sidyodtong provides good training for competition but Pattaya isn't the best place to train in now, as they are experiencing a boom, so building are being built everywhere. A lot of dust, sand and vehicles everywhere.

Sor.Vorapin is good but training in BKK isn't the smartest. Not much space to go running and the dust, smoke and exhausts from cars can make you sick instead of stronger.

I'd suggest training in either Phuket or Chiang mai, but I'm more biased towards Chiang Mai as the weather is cooler there. Phuket is hot, and imagine running for 40 min everyday in the blazing sun.

-Taison out

#277142 - 08/09/06 08:52 AM Re: advice on thailand trip please [Re: Taison]
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

Thank you for your advice! I think I would like to train outside of a big city anyway, I'd like to stay away from to many distractions. Have you trained in Phuket Taison?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga