FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#276536 - 09/01/06 09:14 AM Re: Bokken care and maintenance? [Re: Woku]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
You're experience has been somewhat different than mine. The knife store cheapos are great for solo waza. They'll last forever. For kumitachi, they are worthless to the point of being dangerous. They break. The grain of the wood is just to wide. The wood isn't very dense and thus somewhat brittle. They don't hold up well over time. A good white oak bokuto, such as the one's Kiyota sells for around $30 are beaters with a much tighter grain. They'll last a goodly long time. No need for sanding. Best of all they won't break during kumitachi leaving a nasty jagged end for someone to get hurt on.

#276537 - 09/02/06 01:14 AM Re: Bokken care and maintenance? [Re: Subedei]
ErikTracy Offline

Quote:

I'm not really sure why you'd need to care for your bokken. I've been abusing mine for years now and I've never once oiled it or attempted to keep it somewhere dry, etc. This also includes striking various hard objects with it at close to full force. It's not developed a single crack although it certainly has become quite dented. All in all though, it's just not quite as pretty, it's lost no functionality whatsoever.

That's been my experience as well. I've gone thru two quality white oak bokken for about 10 years of practice involving paired patterns of hard knocks and didn't have to sand or oil at all. $35 per bokken and years and years of weekly use and smacks.

Add up the time and labor in sanding and the extra bucks for oil....too much effort for me. I suppose if you want to obsess over stuff like that - whatever floats your boat - or bokken in oil

Erik

#276538 - 09/02/06 12:08 PM Re: Bokken care and maintenance? [Re: ErikTracy]
Woku Offline

You folks must not spar much, or generate much in the way of pounds per sqaure inch, even the best eventually break, and I've gone through a lot. If your not breaking them, you need to spar more, learn to hit harder, or both. Proper form and technique will generate not in the hundreds but in the thousands of pounds per square inch with a sword. Trust me, your not doing it right if junko bokens and even good Japan white oak are lasting you that long, sounds more like hobbyist types and game playing to me. For the real stuff, yeah, sorry, they break, and need constant maintenance. Never ceases to amaze me how so many are surprised a boken would need maintenence when theirs never has, lol, if you use them right and often, they do.

#276539 - 09/02/06 05:09 PM Re: Bokken care and maintenance? [Re: Woku]
ErikTracy Offline

Quote:

You folks must not spar much, or generate much in the way of pounds per sqaure inch, even the best eventually break, and I've gone through a lot. If your not breaking them, you need to spar more, learn to hit harder, or both. Proper form and technique will generate not in the hundreds but in the thousands of pounds per square inch with a sword. Trust me, your not doing it right if junko bokens and even good Japan white oak are lasting you that long, sounds more like hobbyist types and game playing to me. For the real stuff, yeah, sorry, they break, and need constant maintenance. Never ceases to amaze me how so many are surprised a boken would need maintenence when theirs never has, lol, if you use them right and often, they do.

Different strokes for different styles.

Your use of the term 'spar' indicates to me a different mind set from what the norm for 'koryu' is. We do paired kata just about every week. But the emphasis is on technique not the amount of force you use. That is completely contrary to how to properly use the katana anyway - at least in the way we are taught. Perhaps you do not use shinken for tameshigiri or know how easy it is to cut with proper technique? It takes surprisingly little effort with good technique - anything more is a waste of energy and effort. But if you like to run your practices with the emphasis to see how brutally hard you can swing and smash bokken - well, that is your school - but not mine.

I prefer to practice then sand and oil :-)

#276540 - 09/02/06 07:13 PM Re: Bokken care and maintenance? [Re: ErikTracy]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Quote:

It takes surprisingly little effort with good technique - anything more is a waste of energy and effort.

Not to mention that overpowering cuts tends to completely destroy hasuji, without which you will not cut worth a darn no matter how hard you swing.

Woku,
I can tell you believe in your training method. Please try to be respectful of people who train in other ways.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga