FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#275931 - 07/30/06 03:52 AM 2 Questions (about milk & ketchup)
gamexdragon Offline
Stranger

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hello, I have actually been reading these forums for a while, but have not joined or posted because these forums are basically about martial arts and I do not participate in any, although I plan to in college (Obviously I will not become like many here, since it is kind of late to start (I'm almost 18)).

I have two questions that might have been addressed in other posts, but have not really been topics. I thought I should get more information about them.

It would be good to know that I am a vegetarian.

My first question is should I drink milk?
I stopped drinking it about two years ago, not for one particular reason, but I did anyway. I take calcium pills and vitamins every morning so I'm not missing the calcium or essentials by avoiding milk. However, people do recommend drinking milk, so I was wondering if I should start? Also, I have a whey protein supplement that I drink when I need (after a workout). That actually leads to a question that I didn't plan on asking. Should I drink at least half of a scoop of the protein supplement (24g of protein per serving I believe) on days that I do not workout, or should I just leave it up to my daily diet for that (although I probably do not get as much as I should).

Second, exactly how bad is ketchup if I am trying to lose fat and gain muscle? I eat ketchup with just about everything possible. It's actually kind of weird. I overload my sandwiches (part of my daily diet) with it and even put it on salads (I get comments about that all the time). Should I cut the overuse?

If this affects any of your responses, I am 5'9.5" and weigh 153 lbs. I am pretty athletic, but am trying to improve, hence the questions.

EDIT:
I workout, on average, 3 times a week.
Some of this information is probably useless but I'm just trying to include it to avoid possible questions later
Sorry for the long post

Edited by gamexdragon (07/30/06 03:55 AM)

#275932 - 07/30/06 04:08 AM Re: 2 Questions (about milk & ketchup) [Re: gamexdragon]
Derik Offline
Cruisin' for a bruisin'

do you eat ketchup on your eggs because thats the naistest thing ive ever seen i cant even be in the same room eating with somone who does that><

on a serious note if you take the supplements then its just a personal prefernce if you want to drink milk or not, milk does have a lot of fat in it so if you do drink it you might want to go with skim

Edited by Derik (07/30/06 05:25 AM)

#275933 - 07/30/06 06:26 AM Re: 2 Questions (about milk & ketchup) [Re: gamexdragon]
Al_Fernz Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:

I do not participate in any, although I plan to in college (Obviously I will not become like many here, since it is kind of late to start (I'm almost 18)).

At 18 you're still going to be young starting off. You should stop putting off joining a MA and just go do it. Even if you're going to college in a few months a bit of ground work will do you a lot of good.

Ketchup is supposedly bad for you because it's high in calories and sugar. So you might want to tone it down if you're trying to shed a few lbs, but if you're fit, healthy and enjoy it then I don't see the problem. If people laughed at me because I eat pasta and ketchup I wonder what reaction your ketchup salads must get. Just avoid doing it next time you bring a lady out for dinner .

I would definitly get some milk in there. Those protein shakes taste whey(excuse the pun) nicer with milk in. Also down a glass before bed because it helps with sleep and it slowly digests into your bloodstream thus giving your body protein as you sleep. Go for the low fat kind though.

#275934 - 07/30/06 02:57 PM Re: 2 Questions (about milk & ketchup) [Re: Derik]
gamexdragon Offline
Stranger

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

do you eat ketchup on your eggs because thats the naistest thing ive ever seen i cant even be in the same room eating with somone who does that><

I don't eat eggs , not because I'm that type of a vegetarian: because I don't like them .

Quote:

Those protein shakes taste whey(excuse the pun) nicer with milk in.

I usually put it in water and hold my nose as I down it It works.

Thanks to both of you for the advice; I will probably start using skim or 1% milk.

#275935 - 09/09/06 12:12 PM Re: 2 Questions (about milk & ketchup) [Re: gamexdragon]
vegantkd Offline

Other alternatives for milk are soy, rice, and almond (I'm not trying to start the "is soy good for you" argument, I'm just giving the kid options).
And maybe instead of putting ketchup on everything (although I love ketchup too) if you're worried about the sugar content, try just putting tomatoes on things you'd normally use ketchup on. The antioxidants are good for you.

#275936 - 09/09/06 01:25 PM Re: 2 Questions (about milk & ketchup) [Re: gamexdragon]
Borrek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Calcium is tricky. There are other alternatives to getting calcium than dairy. Here is a good list of non-dairy calcium sources: http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/appendixB.htm#AppB4

It is important that you got some food based calcium, as usually only ~30% of calcium supplements get absorbed. There are other "helper" nutrients in food that keep the calcium from getting bound to fiber and passed out.

Definitely keep taking a calcium supplement (even batter is a one pill calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement) but modify your diet to get food based calcium

As far as ketchup goes, that stuff is almost entirely high fructose corn syrup. Nutritionally it is basically the same as pouring Mrs. Butterworth's all over your fries (and everything else)

Here is an intersting article that cites some research on High Fructose Corn Syrup: http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/highfructose.html

I found this part interesting:

Quote:

BINGEING ON FRUCTOSE

Until the 1970s most of the sugar we ate came from sucrose derived from sugar beets or sugar cane. Then sugar from corn--corn syrup, fructose, dextrose, dextrine and especially high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)--began to gain popularity as a sweetener because it was much less expensive to produce. High fructose corn syrup can be manipulated to contain equal amounts of fructose and glucose, or up to 80 percent fructose and 20 percent glucose. Thus, with almost twice the fructose, HFCS delivers a double danger compared to sugar.

(With regards to fruit, the ratio is usually 50 percent glucose and 50 percent fructose, but most commercial fruit juices have HFCS added. Fruit contains fiber which slows down the metabolism of fructose and other sugars, but the fructose in HFCS is absorbed very quickly.)

In 1980 the average person ate 39 pounds of fructose and 84 pounds of sucrose. In 1994 the average person ate 66 pounds of sucrose and 83 pounds of fructose, providing 19 percent of total caloric energy. Today approximately 25 percent of our average caloric intake comes from sugars, with the larger fraction as fructose.

High fructose corn syrup is extremely soluble and mixes well in many foods. It is cheap to produce, sweet and easy to store. Itís used in everything from bread to pasta sauces to bacon to beer as well as in "health products" like protein bars and "natural" sodas.

#275937 - 09/09/06 03:45 PM Re: 2 Questions (about milk & ketchup) [Re: vegantkd]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

And maybe instead of putting ketchup on everything (although I love ketchup too) if you're worried about the sugar content, try just putting tomatoes on things you'd normally use ketchup on. The antioxidants are good for you.

Interesting fact- the way the tomatoes are prepared and preserved in ketchup makes their antioxidant levels much higher than eating them any other way. Heinz do an organic ketchup, also a reduced sugar and salt ketchup. Switch to one of those and use it as you see fit. Ketchup is an excellent condiment

As for milk, I like skimmed milk, it is a good source of protein, and, when mixed with whey makes it taste much nicer, and, at 19 grams of protein per 560ml, is a cheap way of stretching your whey supplement to last longer.

Yes you should ensure a constant level of protein on training and non training days- its your rest days on which you get bigger and stronger, so drink up

Edited by Cord (09/09/06 03:50 PM)

#275938 - 09/09/06 05:13 PM Re: 2 Questions (about milk & ketchup) [Re: Borrek]
vegantkd Offline

I never thought about putting maple syrup on french fries. I will have to try that cause it sounds good.

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga