FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#275156 - 08/11/06 10:18 AM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Our school is divided, we have the traditional American Goju which was tought to my Shihan and passed down to the traditional practioners. The other half are the hardcore fighters that compete in MMA and Jujitsu competitions...our dojo is a full contact. Personally I'm getting tired of seeing all the new holes in the sheet rock from people getting slammed, time to ask Shihan to get the walls padded about four feet up through out the entire dojo....... you youuuuu roughkin's!!!

#275157 - 08/11/06 07:16 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
frizzbee Offline

Loc: Florida
1) what is your stle of Karate - Matsamura Seito
2) does your dojo have sparring - Yes
3) if yes, to what degree - I'm not sure - you don't start sparring until you reach blue belt, intermediate level, and I just joined the intermediate class. But we do spar. Our instructor will tell us to what intensity to spar (ie "go at 50%") but we do use full padding when sparring.

#275158 - 08/15/06 10:35 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: frizzbee]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
1. Style- LATF (ITF) Tae Kwon Do/boxing/jujutsu
2.Sparring/Grappling-yes
3.Some times we do full contact boxing and kickboxing with boxing gloves (16 oz) and full face sheilds/headgear for 2 minute rounds or until a guy gets hit too hard to keep going in that 4round, sometimes we do light contact free sparring and point fighting with head gear, foot gear and hand pads, we also practice live full force BJJ/wrestling
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#275159 - 08/18/06 11:40 AM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
Good Poll, and Excellent responses

1) Style of Karate is Ashihara Karate and WadoRyu
2) Yes both dojo's have sparring
3) Full Contact in Ashihara and Light/Medium contact in Wado Ryu

Ken

#275160 - 09/02/06 02:42 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Dobbersky]
onenall Offline

My karate practice is manifested in naihanchi, passai, kusanku, gojushiho, chinto, tensho, sanchin and seinchin.
We do practice sparing at all different levels. We also do numerous other drills designed to build a variety of skill sets.
IMHO sparring is useful at any level. I have trained in no- contact sparring all the way to full- contact kyokushin style and have benefitted from every level of sparing. I agree with Victor Sensei that the best skills do come from superior drills and not from "sparrring". Sparring is useful and fun but it does reinforce a "dual" mentality. If you study bunkai of traditional kata, many of them include strategy for fighting numerous opponents in numerous scenarios. They do work in the sparring ring as well (no matter what McArthy sensei says). At least the shorin bunkai that I have seen includes practical and natural footwork utilized against multiple opponents.
Kyokushin style sparring has limitations as well. You can't punch or elbow to the head, minimal grappling and no direct kicks against joints. All of these may crop up in a "real" encounter.
Also, using a bogu or other protection is a reality when insurance is involved. Its true it doesn't have the same feel if you take a shot to the gut, but even kyokushin, Ashihara, Enshin etc. stylists cannot take a knife to the gut. I don't care how good your sanchin is. So you need tai sabaki skills as well.
At the end of it all, you have to enjoy your training. As I continue in my 19th year of karate training, I find that kata practiced medium speed in a flow manner and kahkie drills work amazingly well. And, it works for me in sparring matches as well.
Enjoy your training!!

#275161 - 09/02/06 02:44 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

1) what is your stle of Karate
2) does your dojo have sparring
3) if yes, to what degree

1. Korean Karate ... TKD

2. Yes, sparring of course is a part of the curriculum. This includes Olympic style sparring (WTF), grappling (starting from kneeling and stand up), full stand up to takedown to grappling and ground n' pound. Also may include clinch, knees and elbows.

3. Sparring is full contact for Olympic sparring. Other training will be a combination of full contact, medium contact to light contact depending on what equipment worn (or not) or who your partner is (some go light so you go light; some go hard so you go hard). Elbows, punches to the face and ground n' pound should only be about 30% so light though this can get out of hand depending on your opponent but mostly just light and controlled.

#275162 - 09/03/06 06:24 AM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: MattJ]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Burnaby, BC, Canada
This isn't really current, but when I did Shotokan Karate, we had limited sparring, and it was no contact. It was a Shotokan Karate of America branch.

#275163 - 09/09/06 09:53 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: migo]
P.A.L Offline
Stranger

Loc: Texas
1-shorin ryu
2-yes we spar
3-I Only spar with my sensei , around 2-3 times a year in full contact and rest of the year accusing each other of cheap shotting and it gets pretty ugly, at least for me, as for Kyukoshin style sparing, it's good but not realistic, i get knock down or lose balance almost always by direct punch to the face , the chance of getting hit by punch to the face is not less than kick to the head if not more,

#275164 - 09/10/06 03:09 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: P.A.L]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
My style is American-Te which is a kenpo derivative. We spar- not a lot, but we spar. There are things that are better taught with sparring. Adults spar generally light to medium contact with either no equipment or just gloves. Kids spar light to medium contact with booties gloves and helmets.

#275165 - 09/16/06 05:29 PM what is full contact? [Re: Nurb]
kokoro Offline
Stranger

Full contact in my Seido offshoot has always meant something approximating Kyokushin rules: no padding, full contact to body, moderate contact to face (broken nose is ok, broken eye socket is too hard) That said, we wear feet and hands and use full contact to body and light to head. This is what I called moderate contact, because if you are padded, that neither uke nor tori is experiencing full contact

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga