FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#275136 - 07/28/06 10:20 AM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Ives]
Shorinjiryumike Offline

Thanx for that. We are not kendo players and have always refered to the bogu ( do ) as chest protector and the men as head protector. Bogu to us refers only to the chest protector.

Respectfully

#275137 - 07/28/06 12:48 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Shorinjiryumike]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Quote:

Thanx for that. We are not kendo players and have always refered to the bogu ( do ) as chest protector and the men as head protector. Bogu to us refers only to the chest protector.

Respectfully

We tend to do so aswell back in my dojo, but for others it might be better understandeble to use these terms.
Otherwise they might think we use full kendo gear.

#275138 - 07/28/06 10:57 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Ives]
Shorinjiryumike Offline

Where do you train?

#275139 - 07/28/06 11:43 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

1) Shorin Ryu Karate
2) Yes
3) It is pretty much full contact, it's point sparring so hitting as hard as you can isn't really usefull. We all show control.
Any belt under brown wears head, stomache, foot, shin, and hand gear. You lose the shin gear when u feel like it, you lose the stomache gear at brown belt, and lose the head gear at black.

#275140 - 07/29/06 12:27 AM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: pepto_bismol]
monkeyhead Offline

1. Also Shorin ryu

2. Yup. Sunday is the day for sparring, but it is interwoven into the other days depending on who is teaching and who is learning.

3. As I'm assuming we're talking about free sparring here, the level of contact is set by the lower belt. I don't mind some contact to my chest, but I'd be less than thrilled if I was hit that hard in the head. Usually, the only protection is a cup. I think the key words to remember are "mutual respect."

#275141 - 07/29/06 11:08 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
Happy Birthday Hiyoshimaru Offline

Loc: Colorado, U.S.
1) Shorin Ryu
2) Yes
3) Light to Medium, however, my sensei was trained in a school where black belts were aloud to do full contact, I don't know what his policy is on that, because we only have one black belt in the school.

#275142 - 07/30/06 04:57 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Hiyoshimaru]
Nurb Offline

Ok, now that we've gotten some good responses, what do you guys think about the kyokushin styles emphasis on padless full contact sparring, only rule being no fist-to-head strikes (kicks and knees legal)?

do pads and point sparring take away from conditioning and effective use of what you've learned?

I bring up this threat because most of my family has trained in shotokan and shorin ryu, but I'm planning on the kyokushin route (daido juku once it comes to the US). We had a conversation about the sparring and the fact the shotokan dojo they've trained it only had point sparring and very few of them have gotten really hit. Not that I'm calling it a mcdojo, its got a legit lineage and free of the other warning signs, but I don't agree with endless kata and no realistic application. So I wanted to get an idea of what others train in and their opinions.

#275143 - 07/30/06 05:29 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
haze Offline
Dragon

Loc: Syracuse NY USA
Light to medium depending on who and why. Protection, AAU type hand pads and ............that's about it. The rest is optional, mouthpiece, cup, headgear

#275144 - 07/30/06 08:54 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
srv Offline
The OTHER forum Doctor

Loc: SA, Australia
Style is based on Goju-Ryu.
Yes we do free sparring regularly and we start doing it from white belt level. The protective gear we use are hand and feet protectors - light pads - mouth guards and cups for the guys. Contact is something mutually agreed upon by the 2 people sparring, usually determined byt the lower ranks. Generally the white belts and some of the girls will prefer very little contact but when 2 black belts or 2 testosterone driven men of any rank - go at it it's pretty well full contact. Having said that, most of the girls go at it just as hard as the guys.

#275145 - 07/30/06 11:39 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Quote:

Curious about the other forum members karate instruction

1) what is your stle of Karate
2) does your dojo have sparring
3) if yes, to what degree

1.) Many our base style if Goju-ryu
2.) Yes we have 5 levles of sparring.
a. Level 1 point tourney mid contact padded take down/sweeps starting at 7th kyu - BB.
b. Level 2 no pads, hand wraps and shin guards full contact to body, light head. I want them to feel the real techniques.
1a. Ippon waza 5th kyu - Black belt
2b. Three point " " - " "
3.) Combination sparring padded sweep, throws, takedown, knees, Leg kicks, groundfight 3 seconds 4thkyu-1st kyu. full contact body, light to head.
4.) Combination sparring, elbows, knees, throws, ground fighting 1 minute max, padded. Elbows to the head improvised. Self defense counters to holds are used.
5.) Combinations sparring ...., ground fighting depends on where you want to fight 3-4 minute max or zero if you can stay up.

3.) We start at white belt 7th Kyu - Master grade.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga