FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Yesterday at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#275146 - 07/31/06 09:29 AM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Shorinjiryumike]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Quote:

Where do you train?

It's all there...

#275147 - 07/31/06 06:29 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
budobrubbie Offline

Loc: Northeast U.S.
1) Shorin-ryu karate (Shorinkan).
2)Yes, we do both free-sparring (jiyu kumite) and agreement sparring (yakusoku kumite). In free sparring, gloves and mouthpieces are mandatory, headgear is required for students under the age of 18.
3)Frequency - Agreement sparring, every class. Free sparring, about one to two classes per week. Intensity - Most agreement sparring is quite intense. Free sparring is of moderate intensity, but dan level participants can go as hard as they want to as long as both agree.

#275148 - 08/01/06 12:27 AM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: JasonM]
Subedei Offline

Quote:

hmm, little confused How do ya spar with no contact?

Easy, stop all of your strikes before they make contact with your opponent. It's a good introduction to combat for beginners who might feel intimidated by the prospect of actually being hit. They can work on distance, timing, agnle and all of that good stuff. Additionally, you might want to have them attack the space directly in front of their opponent instead of stopping the attack before it hits, this is good for those students that haven't developed enough control.

If you have children in your classes, no contact sparring is probably a good idea.

#275149 - 08/01/06 03:54 AM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Subedei]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Yep we spar, many different forms -

1. tegumi, standup wrestling practise, compromised and then non compromised.

2. randori, no pads, controlled contact/pace sparring.

3. bogu kumite, heavy contact, full head gear, light body armour and groin cup. developing this right now.

We of course also have many drills including grab release, hold release, evasion, bunkai practise (develops into 'free' attacks), 2 on one randori etc etc

I have absolutly no concept of how non contact karate can be of much use for any form of application.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#275150 - 08/03/06 05:47 AM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: shoshinkan]
Nurb Offline

since I've been lookin i'm suprised how many use body armor or point sparring. If needed to be used in reality, getting hit for the first time out of class would be a shock. Body conditioning and taking a hit is as important as giving one

#275151 - 08/03/06 06:30 AM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
The use of body armour and head gear allows for heavy contact sparring with no hand or foot pads, its a development tool.

also the armour is light and still very much hurts! It allows the students to expierience 'shock' withoubt serious injury.

It is simply part of the 'kumite' we practise, randori (as I call it) involves no pads and you work to the level of contact you both wish, ie progressivly harder.

I agree that conditioning excersises are most usefull as are tai sabaki methods, and again we use both for overall development.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#275152 - 08/03/06 08:10 AM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
nurb,

Part of the reason body armour is becoming a standard is simply most cannot have a school without insurance, either to protect the school owner or the landlord, and the insurance industry is making use of body armour mandatory or suffering loss of insurance.

Then there are humanitarian concerns for student safety, being able to defend onself flat out is very different from getting wasted training.

I came from the pre safety gear days with very strong body contact and light taps to the head mandatory for scoring, but have gone through many layers of what works.

The best instructor I ever trained with, and the best 'sparrer' bar none I've ever experienced never included any sort of kumite within his classes, but his skills and his students came from superior drills and othe techniques.

After years of thought I moved my program away from a heavy sparring diet, and today only use it for advanced students where it makes sense in their training program. A far cry from the days students started sparring their first night.

It's interesting having the student spend years developing skills first actually makes for better sparring because they have technique that works.

But as sparring is such a minor aspect of where I see karate as going, it is only done in limited context.

pleasantly,

#275153 - 08/04/06 10:55 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Victor Smith]
skeeterzirra Offline

Loc: Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Yes, at coloered belt levels, and with increasing intensities as we advance. When I started, padding was available but discouraged. I used them but frankly it was a crutch.

My last school went into heavy contact. You knew when you were hit. I was lifted off the floor with a strike at least once in every sparring session. The shock of that kind of blow altered my training from the fundamentals on.

What Ive learned and incorporated is to have my combinations aimed with a follow-up using each recoil of a strike. For practice, I use a heavy bag, hung so its center of gravity mimics mine. When I strike, the bag rotates around that center of G, and this recoil dictates where and when my next strike is aimed.

Body armor was what gave me freedom to learn this without broken bones. Waiting and losing three months training while waiting for a rib to knit, and then building back to make up for lost time hindered training. This is also when I overcame my fear of hits and where I learned the proper use of armor. This is a great improvement over the old days.

Edited by skeeterzirra (08/04/06 11:05 PM)

#275154 - 08/06/06 02:23 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: Nurb]
GiriStudent Offline

Loc: Canada
1) Shorin Ryu Karate Jutsu
2) Yes
3) LIght contact from white to yellow medium: green andpurple Heavy: Brown Black
We use mouthguard, hand gear and footgear

#275155 - 08/06/06 02:58 PM Re: Little survey: Does your dojo have sparring? [Re: GiriStudent]
TimS Offline
Stranger

Loc: Chelmsford, Essex, UK
Style: Wado Ryu
Sparring: Yes.
Type of sparring: medium contact Shiai and Ji Yu Kumite (the latter we use techniques not permitted in contest Shiai.)

Tim

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga