FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
kolslaw 1
Bartfast 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#274554 - 08/30/06 12:31 AM Re: are thease swords any good? [Re: paradoxbox]
xc279 Offline

I won't be using it at all, I was just waondering if it is functional, has a full tang or good steel.I am looking at this and not a cheaper one because I want it to be a "real" sword. Not a decoration replica sword.(in other words I want it to have the potential to be used and last even though it won't.)

Edited by xc279 (08/30/06 12:33 AM)

#274555 - 08/30/06 02:12 PM Re: are thease swords any good? [Re: xc279]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
It looks half-decent. Cold steel is an iffy company, with poor quality control, but decent average quality. However, due to their deceptive advertising (see the "Solid Proof" video on the left of the screen), I refuse to deal with Cold Steel ever again.

In their advertising, they break cinderblocks with the back of the blade. Impressive, until you realize you can do the same with any hammer, and smashing cinderblocks is nothing like what a sword actually does. They also perform "tamshighiri", but their mats are hollow, very so. I've heard estimates ranging from 1/4 to 1/8 the strength of a regular tatami mat.

Also, read the fine print in the video
Quote:

While informative and entertaining, ”SOLID PROOF” and "SWORD PROOF" do contain graphic demonstrations of cutting power that may be too intense for some viewers. The tests shown in the videos are dangerous and should not be duplicated. Testing in this manner constitutes GROSS ABUSE of our products. Duplicating these tests, or altering our products in any way, may void your warranty. The Cold Steel warranty covers our products when they are used as they were intended to be used. The warranty covers defects in materials and/or workmanship, it does not cover normal wear and tear or abuse.

Note, they claim strongest and sharpest, but they do not cover the use in the video. Compare to other Angelsword, who has actual Charpy test results from the about the quality of the swords and back it up with a waranty that says Anything short of outright abuse (which has been said includes almost anything but running your car over it) is covered.

If you wish to claim something, back it up with real tests and real measurements and support your claim with a real warranty.

Back on topic. For that reason, I would not suggest that sword.

#274556 - 08/30/06 02:19 PM Re: are thease swords any good? [Re: xc279]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
My recommendation is to look into Iaito. They fill the role you describe very nicely.

http://www.swordstore.com
http://www.tozando.com

The fittings are made in Japan, and expertly wrapped. If you join an iaido dojo one day, an iaito is the first sword you will need in your training curriculum, and the one you will use for the first several years. You will also continue to use it off and on for decades afterwards.

What it isn't is two things. Iaito are generally no sharper than a butter knife. It is a training tool. Designed not to cut off the fingers of new students.

The second thing Iaito are not, is made of steel. They are typically made of a zinc aluminum alloy. You cann't really put an edge on them, and they are not suitable for cutting objects. They are perfect for solo training, which is the bread and butter of iai training.

One advantage for what you are looking for is that they require little to no maintenance. An iaito won't rust because you failed to clean and oil it regularly. It looks exactly like the real thing. Most people will never be able to tell the difference. It differs from model to model and maker to maker, but in general the fittings on a typical iaito will be as good or better than the stuff you'll find on production swords such as the one you are looking at.

Just some food for thought.

#274557 - 08/30/06 05:06 PM Re: are thease swords any good? [Re: Charles Mahan]
xc279 Offline

I really like the angelsword saber but I don't have $6,000 to spend on a sword. Does anyoneknow where I can get an affordable saber? And what all could a coldsteel sword withstand?

#274558 - 08/31/06 10:30 AM Re: are thease swords any good? [Re: xc279]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
Ah yes, you found the Avatars. Gorgeous blades. If you can can get to a demonstration (in Scarborough Faire in Waxahachie, Texas Renaissance Festival, or New York Renaissance fair in Tuxedo), I'd suggest it just to look at the things. However, for quality, real sabers, I really don't have anyone else on the custom blade side to recommend to you. Most good swordsmiths work either with knives or Japanese blades as those form the core use of serious martial artists.

Angus Trim is the only group that I can think of off the top of my head as actually being decent in the low price range. They have a consistent problem with underhardened edges, but their balance is typically good, and if you aren't going to be swinging too hard, it should be fine.

#274559 - 09/01/06 02:53 AM Re: are thease swords any good? [Re: bloodyrath15]
Woku Offline

There is a lot of elitism on this board, and, while many of them mean well, they don't know much. Just because something is on ebay does not make it crap. I have owned some of masahiros earlier work, he is a decent smith, and makes some decent blades. I was not impressed with his lowest end stuff, but his mid end can be purchased for 300 and up, and ae not bad. I've had a chance while in china, which is where the supposed God of sword making Paul Chen, "ack" also makes swords. Chen is not the exception the the chinese sword rule. Look at getting some of Masahiros folded blades, which you can get at half of chen swords, and often the quality is just as good. Like I said, be careful of the lower end stuff, of course, but masahiro makes a nice entry level "practical" more in line with a "chisa" katana, which is as good or better then Paul Chens practical. Don't listen to all the naysayers here, you can't judge a sword by it's cost, or what large marketplace you but it from, like ebay. Chen and other super high end swords are also for sale on ebay, and it has no effect on their value or quality. Masahiro is decent, just don't get the sword which uses it's box as a makeshift stand, that sword is only for display. Take care.

#274560 - 09/01/06 09:09 AM Re: are thease swords any good? [Re: Woku]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

I thought the Paul Chens' were the low end stuff...

#274561 - 09/02/06 12:25 PM Re: are thease swords any good? [Re: Charles Mahan]
Woku Offline

And I thought you were an impartial moderator, who knew

#274562 - 09/02/06 07:18 PM Re: are thease swords any good? [Re: Woku]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Who told you I was impartial?

#274563 - 09/03/06 08:23 PM Re: are thease swords any good? [Re: Benjamin1986]
roostergunner Offline
Kentucky Fried Idiot

Loc: My own little world

I also find the coldsteel video to be misleading,in there defense,they tell you not to do these things,but a person might think that they could do so,and that in itself is misleading.I am very suspiscious,but I am going to try a few of there weapons,then tell what I expierienced.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga