FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 3
cxt 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35570 Topics
432472 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#274218 - 06/11/07 06:14 PM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Jim_Judy]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

If you will look at my original post on this subject, I mentioned Tom Sotis as a FMA-ist that had practiced live blade training at some point.

Not you.

Quote:

I've been told of others from my Decuerdas instructor. I personally know others that do it in Silat, & I will probably do it at some time in the near future. as for qualifying every gall-darn thing that I say on the I'net... well, I'm sorry, but I can't be bothered with folks that won't believe what I say w/o a YouTube video or me knocking on their door with a box full of service records, rank certs, and whatever the hell else they need.

OK

Quote:

If you like, you can just file this as anecdotal

i couldnt possibly file it as anything else. In fact, my taking it as anecdotal is exactly what irked you in the first place.

Quote:

I don't care.

Clearly you do.

Quote:

Point being, some folks take it to the limit. Folks do train with live blades.

People are individuals and prone to doing strange things. Your intial post inferred that live blade training was part of the advanced syllabus in sayoc, and uniform across the art. I dispute this.

Quote:

People take it to the limit, like the Dog Bros, but just with sticks. But hey, they have Paramedics at all of their meets to take away the injured. Why? Because they go all out. I've heard plenty of people that talk smack about them, how combat isn't sparring with sticks, and that if those were blades they couldn't trade blows like that. Well, you know what, they're right . But, how often do you have a sword on you? Compare that to how many times you can pick up a stick of some sort, or a hasty replacement? Tells me that the Dog Bros are training for practical reality, at least as weapons choice goes.

Look at what you have written above closely. Now look at what I wrote, and that you disagreed with:

Quote:

what you need to recreate accurately in training is the resistance and intent in the attack you are dealing with. The injury is symptomatic, and secondary to the attack itself. I can be attacked much more ferociously by a partner holding a knife that he knows cannot harm me than by a partner who is always mindfull that if he or I f*ck up I am likely to collapse in an arterial spray. live blades can only be used with true full resistance by someone who actually wants to harm you with it. Training partners dont (usually) come into this category, thus rendering live blade training an ego trip or demonstration gimmick.

No willingness to back up your claims, a condescending manner, and a tendency to contradict yourself from post to post. You didnt used to be 'Stealthdozer' by any chance did you?

#274219 - 06/11/07 09:38 PM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Cord]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

Quote:

Not you.

Nope, not yet. However, my silat teacher said that we can do it when the time comes. I'll make sure an post a YouTube video for you to laugh at.
In the meantime, we're looking into the Shock Knives...

Quote:

i couldnt possibly file it as anything else. In fact, my taking it as anecdotal is exactly what irked you in the first place.

Actually, no. But that's okay, you see it how you like. I'm sure you always will.

Quote:

People are individuals and prone to doing strange things. Your intial post inferred that live blade training was part of the advanced syllabus in sayoc, and uniform across the art. I dispute this.

No, big guy, I never said anything of the sort. The closest I've ever come to Sayoc was dabbling in Atienza Kali.
You can dispute some figment of a post all you want, it won't affect me in the slightest. In fact, it makes me care even less

Quote:

Look at what you have written above closely. Now look at what I wrote, and that you disagreed with:

I'm not disagreeing with that method of training, I practice it now. But to think that folks training with live blades are simply satisfying some ego-driven need to show off is not correct. It goes against everything that I have ever read or been told by folks that actually train or have trained with live blades. For me, your Internet voice of how live blade training is at best an ego trip and at worst certain death flies in the face of what my 60yo Silat teacher has to say about it. So, with that in mind, considering the fact that you don't train live blade & therefore have no idea of the benefits, who are you to talk about it? You're no one. You have no point of reference, beyond condemnation of something you've never done.

So, that being said, good luck in your training. I'm out. Feel free to get in the last word. Only if you feel the need, of course. You will, won't you...

#274220 - 06/12/07 03:19 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Jim_Judy]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

[No, big guy, I never said anything of the sort. The closest I've ever come to Sayoc was dabbling in Atienza Kali.
You can dispute some figment of a post all you want, it won't affect me in the slightest. In fact, it makes me care even less

At this point i must apologise, it was not you, in retrospect that made the inference earlier in the thread, in the enjoyment of the debate, i got my wires crossed.

Quote:

But to think that folks training with live blades are simply satisfying some ego-driven need to show off is not correct. It goes against everything that I have ever read or been told by folks that actually train or have trained with live blades. For me, your Internet voice of how live blade training is at best an ego trip and at worst certain death flies in the face of what my 60yo Silat teacher has to say about it. So, with that in mind, considering the fact that you don't train live blade & therefore have no idea of the benefits, who are you to talk about it? You're no one. You have no point of reference, beyond condemnation of something you've never done.

I am never going to agree with the concept of live blade work, that is not a sign of my ignorance of it, merely that, for reasons I have stated, I do not see any value to be gained from the increased risk it involves. One of the reasons the MA are 'arts' is that they are open to personal interperetation, and two peoples take on the same art can be wildly different. We disagree on this particular issue, and that is fine by me- do be carefull should you go ahead with live blade work though, yesterday in the UK a police officer was killed by a knife wound to the shoulder. Doesnt have to be a traditionaly thought of 'vital point' to cause life changing damage.

A specific apology, and an 'agree to differ'. I hope you see this as reasonable 'last word'.

#274221 - 06/12/07 12:10 PM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Cord]
shantungks Offline

Wow, Interesting argument here. Very interesting. Well all I can say is that if you are a blade practitioner and at one point you want to be considered a blade instructor and true blade or knife practitioner than yes at one point you have to train with a live blade. You cant say you are full-contact instructor if you have never even been close to that type of fighting. Live blade training instills a lot of respect for the blade and opens your eyes to the reality of this part of the martial arts and to teach that is not a playing tool even if at the beggining is only out of wood or plastic or steel.

Aslo in the use of the stick, yes is nice to use padding once in a while but also once in a while without padding. Padding reduces the ability to apply many techniques that do work.

But I guess everyone is free to train anyway they want but I think is not fair to call martial art a style that is not train that way. Martial art means art of war not of dancing or choreographic moves that look like dancing or make believe striking. But everyone is free to choose.

Yes Sayoc advance training is very hardcore and that is why they are known for being hard core. Sayoc is not for everyone. I believe they like that.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga