FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 11
trevek 6
cxt 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 01:18 PM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432448 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#274208 - 06/09/07 02:43 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Jim_Judy]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
Quote:

You don't know much about military training if you are saying this
Maybe the basic grunts don't go live fire off of the range, but elite troopers (SEALs, Delta, SAS, etc) do live fire, often with team members playing the part of hostages in kill houses while their team mates breach and come in shooting, killing everything else.

....how would you know that

Quote:

Maybe for you. Some folks train beyond that level and introduce an actual threat of live blades to the game. According to them, it opens up a whole new world of sensitivity development and realism when training in very controlled situations with folks that you trust. It might not be for everyone, though...

you didnt read cords post!!!!!

and lets say it does.
It "opens up a new world of training" for 3 hours til someone slips and gets a knife in the jugular

#274209 - 06/09/07 02:48 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Jim_Judy]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

You know, I took a look at that Shockknife and I must say, that thing really bridges the gap between trainers and live blades very well.

I'm gonna look into those, definitely.

#274210 - 06/09/07 03:01 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: crablord]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

Quote:

Quote:

You don't know much about military training if you are saying this
Maybe the basic grunts don't go live fire off of the range, but elite troopers (SEALs, Delta, SAS, etc) do live fire, often with team members playing the part of hostages in kill houses while their team mates breach and come in shooting, killing everything else.

....how would you know that

Quote:

Maybe for you. Some folks train beyond that level and introduce an actual threat of live blades to the game. According to them, it opens up a whole new world of sensitivity development and realism when training in very controlled situations with folks that you trust. It might not be for everyone, though...

you didnt read cords post!!!!!

and lets say it does.
It "opens up a new world of training" for 3 hours til someone slips and gets a knife in the jugular

How would I know?
First off, I was in the military & witnessed such training. I never participated, however.
& also, I believe that anyone can look up such vids on YouTube...

& I did read his post & *suprise* I agree with his opinion for the most part. But after awhile, the effect of "intent" can wear off. Some folks that are very skilled up the ante with live blades. You don't have to. It's okay. It doesn't make you a wuss or something.

#274211 - 06/09/07 10:35 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Jim_Judy]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

First off, I was in the military & witnessed such training. I never participated, however.

Always the bridesmaid never the bride eh?

Anecdotal on sayoc, anecdotal on SAS. Forgive me if that pinch of salt is still being taken by yours truly.

special forces training is not a spectator sport, having had family involved with such concerns, and a good friend currently serving with the SBS, i stand by my opinion- based only on my own anecdotal evidence of course

#274212 - 06/09/07 03:11 PM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Cord]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

Quote:

Quote:

Always the bridesmaid never the bride eh?

Anecdotal on sayoc, anecdotal on SAS. Forgive me if that pinch of salt is still being taken by yours truly.

special forces training is not a spectator sport, having had family involved with such concerns, and a good friend currently serving with the SBS, i stand by my opinion- based only on my own anecdotal evidence of course

That's great. Your mileage may vary, of course

To be perfectly honest, the closest I came was all of the SEALs that I knew in SD, and my time rubbing elbows with III MEF SOTG and my time with 1st LAR / FORCE.
You should try getting out there and playing sometime instead of just hearing it from friends and family. Then maybe your word might carry more weight.

#274213 - 06/10/07 10:51 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Jim_Judy]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

That's great. Your mileage may vary, of course

To be perfectly honest, the closest I came was all of the SEALs that I knew in SD, and my time rubbing elbows with III MEF SOTG and my time with 1st LAR / FORCE.
You should try getting out there and playing sometime instead of just hearing it from friends and family. Then maybe your word might carry more weight.

So, like me, your experience of special forces is through social association, not experience. That puts us on an even playing field.

As for the 'weight' of my word, it is what it is, but around here it seems good enough for most.

Have a nice day

#274214 - 06/11/07 01:02 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Cord]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

Actually, NO. Sorry if there was some confusion, but usually, I try not to sound like some bragging a-hole

My experience comes from my being through kill-houses & having been the sole medical coverage on kill-houses. I've even set the TNT for simulated dynamic breach entries. I've witnessed some of the harriest shi-stuff one can imagine.

You have stories from your friends.

Even playing field? You gotta be jokin'.

#274215 - 06/11/07 01:11 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Jim_Judy]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

Sorry for the thread drift...

#274216 - 06/11/07 06:10 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Jim_Judy]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Well, that is the downside of the net is it not? you can claim anything you wish, as can I, and it is then down to the reader to make a decision as to the validity of that claim.
Thats an even playingfield.

And how exactly does any of your post validate your statement as fact regarding live blade training that you have not done?

Thanks for your service to the free world and all that, but I remain sceptical regarding both the specific claims, and the validity of the concepts behind live blade training.

(why do some people insist on putting these things after a passive-aggressive post? Thought i would try it myself see if it makes me feel any better. Time will tell)

#274217 - 06/11/07 06:47 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Cord]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

Quote:

Quote:

Well, that is the downside of the net is it not? you can claim anything you wish, as can I, and it is then down to the reader to make a decision as to the validity of that claim.
Thats an even playingfield.

And how exactly does any of your post validate your statement as fact regarding live blade training that you have not done?

It doesn't. I posted more facts about my military history, that you brought into question in your oh-so-subtle internet-savvy manner, to qualify my experience with life-fire training, which you somehow believe doesn't exist.

Quote:

Thanks for your service to the free world and all that, but I remain sceptical regarding both the specific claims, and the validity of the concepts behind live blade training.

(why do some people insist on putting these things after a passive-aggressive post? Thought i would try it myself see if it makes me feel any better. Time will tell)

That's okay. For me, skepticism has more often than not stood in the way of progress. At least you won't be in my way...

Well, you used , & I used
What's the difference? & have none of your posts been "passive aggressive"?
(I get the context, but you should really look up "passive aggressive" before you use it any more. Mostly because my use of was pure sarcasm. Kind of like the following...)
Quote:

"Thanks for your service to the free world and all that, but I remain sceptical blahblahblah wahwahwah..."

If you will look at my original post on this subject, I mentioned Tom Sotis as a FMA-ist that had practiced live blade training at some point. I've been told of others from my Decuerdas instructor. I personally know others that do it in Silat, & I will probably do it at some time in the near future. At this moment, I use ground-down folders and other metal trainers, & I'm trying to get some folks to go in with me on two of those Shock Knives.

& as for qualifying every gall-darn thing that I say on the I'net... well, I'm sorry, but I can't be bothered with folks that won't believe what I say w/o a YouTube video or me knocking on their door with a box full of service records, rank certs, and whatever the hell else they need.
If you like, you can just file this as anecdotal, that way nobody's feelings get hurt. I don't care.

Point being, some folks take it to the limit. Folks do train with live blades. People take it to the limit, like the Dog Bros, but just with sticks. But hey, they have Paramedics at all of their meets to take away the injured. Why? Because they go all out. I've heard plenty of people that talk smack about them, how combat isn't sparring with sticks, and that if those were blades they couldn't trade blows like that. Well, you know what, they're right. But, how often do you have a sword on you? Compare that to how many times you can pick up a stick of some sort, or a hasty replacement? Tells me that the Dog Bros are training for practical reality, at least as weapons choice goes.

edited to fix quote

Edited by MattJ (06/11/07 10:31 AM)

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga