FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
Today at 10:15 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432453 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#274198 - 06/04/07 03:20 PM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Cord]
shantungks Offline

True Cord very true. Dog Brothers encourage the full force work but the SAYOC guys once you are ready to go higher on the ladder you must do certain things that is best that it not be mention here. But Involves blood and beyond. The system is not tougher than any other is just the training at a higher level gets, lets just say crazier.

JKogas about the real contact knife fighting yes it does involve that at the higher level. TRain with them very hard and take everything they give and give everything you got and dont complain and yes they might let you into more.

#274199 - 06/04/07 06:00 PM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: shantungks]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Nice videos. NIce way to train like that. I miss the good old days. The only ones tougher in the training than the Dog Brothers are the guys from Sayoc. Really tough dudes. Hope I can get a chance to see or participate in of their gatherings.

in this post you make it clear that you have not reached the 'inner circle' of Sayoc (if such a thing exists), so if it is this 'hush-hush' live blade slice fest, then how exactly are you privy to this info? If you have yet to experience it in person, how can you offer it as fact?

I am afraid I am treating such claims with a pinch of salt, simply because live blade training would cause so many severe injuries that frequency of training would be impaired due to healing time, and irregular training with increasingly damaged tendons/reduced fine motor function would leave the 'advanced' completely unable to function in a fairly short time.

#274200 - 06/07/07 02:53 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Cord]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

Ask Tom Sotis about live blade training. Some do it, & they are few and far between, but they are out there.

#274201 - 06/07/07 06:41 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Jim_Judy]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Some do it, & they are few and far between

I wonder why?

Probably the same reason that military training exercises involving combat simulation are never live fire- ITS A SIMULATION. No good killing your troops before they even see a real enemy.

i have a metal training knife, it is blunt and safe. This allows me to train injury free, and you know if metal touches skin that your technique has failed, or that you would be injured in real circumstances. That is enough.
Training live blade does nothing to enhance the experience, as what you need to recreate accurately in training is the resistance and intent in the attack you are dealing with. The injury is symptomatic, and secondary to the attack itself. I can be attacked much more ferociously by a partner holding a knife that he knows cannot harm me than by a partner who is always mindfull that if he or I f*ck up I am likely to collapse in an arterial spray. live blades can only be used with true full resistance by someone who actually wants to harm you with it. Training partners dont (usually) come into this category, thus rendering live blade training an ego trip or demonstration gimmick.

#274202 - 06/07/07 06:44 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Cord]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
good point.

#274203 - 06/07/07 10:15 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Cord]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Quote:

i have a metal training knife, it is blunt and safe. This allows me to train injury free, and you know if metal touches skin that your technique has failed, or that you would be injured in real circumstances. That is enough.

I was amazed at how, even though I knew it was fake, my body/mind reacted differently to a metal practice knife than a wooden one. Not only do you feel the cold metal when it touches you, just seeing it makes your body have more of a realistic physiological reaction.

#274204 - 06/07/07 10:44 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Cord]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Quote:

Some do it, & they are few and far between

I wonder why?

Agreed with Cord. Live blade training is ridiculously dangerous.

#274205 - 06/08/07 05:08 PM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Saisho]
KJ63 Offline

Loc: Midwestern U.S.
I do agree. Live blade is almost pointless. There are plenty of training methods that create the same fear or stess response.

We use a shock knife: http://www.shocknife.com/

Getting shocked isn't fun (although the level of shock can be adjusted), but its a HELL of a lot better than losing the use of an arm or even death.

#274206 - 06/08/07 05:16 PM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: KJ63]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Quote:

We use a shock knife

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen

However, for $500 I will stick to my aluminum blades from Keenedge Knives. They have a tactical folder that is perfect for defense against the typical folding blade.

#274207 - 06/09/07 02:07 AM Re: Silat Stick fighting clip [Re: Cord]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

Quote:

I wonder why?

Probably the same reason that military training exercises involving combat simulation are never live fire- ITS A SIMULATION. No good killing your troops before they even see a real enemy.

You don't know much about military training if you are saying this
Maybe the basic grunts don't go live fire off of the range, but elite troopers (SEALs, Delta, SAS, etc) do live fire, often with team members playing the part of hostages in kill houses while their team mates breach and come in shooting, killing everything else.

Quote:

Maybe for you. Some folks train beyond that level and introduce an actual threat of live blades to the game. According to them, it opens up a whole new world of sensitivity development and realism when training in very controlled situations with folks that you trust. It might not be for everyone, though...
Quote:

Training live blade does nothing to enhance the experience, as what you need to recreate accurately in training is the resistance and intent in the attack you are dealing with. The injury is symptomatic, and secondary to the attack itself. I can be attacked much more ferociously by a partner holding a knife that he knows cannot harm me than by a partner who is always mindfull that if he or I f*ck up I am likely to collapse in an arterial spray. live blades can only be used with true full resistance by someone who actually wants to harm you with it. Training partners dont (usually) come into this category, thus rendering live blade training an ego trip or demonstration gimmick.

Some would disagree. But, that's okay, it's not for everyone, obviously.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga