FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 68 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
SoulJah22 1
royal 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#274134 - 07/23/06 03:02 AM Full Contact Jujitsu
JustGuess Offline

Loc: Indiana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlYCMJNFjoE&search=full%20contact%20jujitsu

I don't know if this video has been posted before. A search didn't bring up anything, and I thought it was worth sharing.

How many Ju Jitsu places actually train for this sort of thing? I know some places/styles have a reputation of being unrealistic, but this really impressed me with how it basically looked like MMA with a gi.

#274135 - 07/23/06 07:28 AM Re: Full Contact Jujitsu [Re: JustGuess]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

That looks like run of the mill MMA, it's definately not Japanese jujutsu.

MMA places that spar with gloves and gi are a dime a dozen. I'd be more concerned if you found an MMA gym that didn't spar at least something resembling that video.

A small criticism but their takedowns seem to look uniformly awful, and I mean really pitiful. It's as if they completely skipped that part of training and just focused on rushing in oblivious to everything else going on. I can't help but wonder if most of these guys would get totally demolished by some judo guy with a day of boxing and BJJ sprawl training. They're totally open to hard throws. There's a decent one at 5:26 though.

Other than that, entertaining video.

#274136 - 07/23/06 07:34 AM Re: Full Contact Jujitsu [Re: JustGuess]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

More than you might think. The International Ju Jitsu Federation hold world championships every few years , as well as a host of regional events:

http://www.jjifweb.com/html/competition.html

It's open to any Ryu of Ju Jitsu I think, as long as they are aware of the rules.

#274137 - 07/23/06 12:32 PM Re: Full Contact Jujitsu [Re: paradoxbox]
JustGuess Offline

I don't really see what you're critisizing here. Sure it may look a little sloppy at times, but some of those takedowns are really well timed.

Don't forget that this is a full speed, full contact competition where you have to worry about being hit, thrown, GnPed, and submitted. Things aren't going to look pretty and quite honestly I prefer it that way.

#274138 - 07/23/06 05:13 PM Re: Full Contact Jujitsu [Re: JustGuess]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

I don't really see what you're critisizing here. Sure it may look a little sloppy at times, but some of those takedowns are really well timed.

Don't forget that this is a full speed, full contact competition where you have to worry about being hit, thrown, GnPed, and submitted. Things aren't going to look pretty and quite honestly I prefer it that way.

Most of that stuff is in judo too, except the hitting which is an optional thing between partners.. Just doesn't look like many of them trained for it which is too bad, with their other skills it'd help them win faster if they could throw properly. The one guy at 5:26 did a great throw and probably ended the fight on the spot.

#274139 - 07/23/06 05:41 PM Re: Full Contact Jujitsu [Re: paradoxbox]
JustGuess Offline

I dunno. I think there's a lot of stuff in here that you're missing. Now I'm not versed in Judo, JJJ, or even wrestling terminology, so forgive me for what might be completely innaccurate descriptions I'm going to use.

1:18 ; guy in white ducks a punch and does a real nice double leg

1:28 ; guy in blue does a throw

1:35 ; guy ducks a punch and trips his opponent

1:45 ; person on right graps a kick and does a takedown

1:52 ; KO via spinning back-kick, had to include for awesomeness

3:15 ; another nice trip

4:40 ; guy in white catches a kick and turns it into a double leg

4:58 ; guy picks up opponent who charges in and does some sort of suplex

5:26 ; yes, that is a rather nice throw

Now this was just the takedowns (for the most part) that seemed good to me. There was also a lot of really devastating striking and good ground fighting going on as well. You have to admit, it's got to be really hard to do a textbook throw when someone is trying to knock your head off, and will gladly knee you in the clinch.

Please feel free to correct me with anything that I'm really missing. Admittedly, throws and takedowns are the one area where I have the absolute least experience.

#274140 - 07/24/06 12:20 AM Re: Full Contact Jujitsu [Re: JustGuess]
Tower_Bloodthorn Offline

Could someone state a few styles of Jujutsu that we're seeing in that clip? I was interested in a complete style like that, but I was always told that most Jujutsu styles are biased towards either striking, throws or ground fighting. Those guys seemed to be equal in all aspects.

#274141 - 07/24/06 01:24 AM Re: Full Contact Jujitsu [Re: Tower_Bloodthorn]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

It looks mostly just like mixed martial artists. There are a few people in there that are doing judo as well as some people doing muay thai and taekwondo.

As for complete styles of jujutsu like in the video,well you can either go with mixed martial arts, or any old school Japanese jujutsu. Most Japanese jujutsu schools have a little of everything but it will probably be up to you yourself to train in a randori-type manner like you see in the video. Judo offers great training but lacks strikes and kicks.

#274142 - 09/03/06 04:47 AM Re: Full Contact Jujitsu [Re: paradoxbox]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Quote:

That looks like run of the mill MMA, it's definately not Japanese jujutsu.

MMA places that spar with gloves and gi are a dime a dozen. I'd be more concerned if you found an MMA gym that didn't spar at least something resembling that video.

A small criticism but their takedowns seem to look uniformly awful, and I mean really pitiful. It's as if they completely skipped that part of training and just focused on rushing in oblivious to everything else going on. I can't help but wonder if most of these guys would get totally demolished by some judo guy with a day of boxing and BJJ sprawl training. They're totally open to hard throws. There's a decent one at 5:26 though.

Other than that, entertaining video.

I think you're exaggerating the issue a bit, a day of training isn't enough for most people, you're probably looking at minimum 3 months of boxing, and BJJ really isn't the best place to learn your sprawl, freestyle wrestling would be the style to learn there, and a good Judoka could probably do well with just a month of that.

#274143 - 09/03/06 10:40 AM Re: Full Contact Jujitsu [Re: JustGuess]
haze Offline
Dragon

Loc: Syracuse NY USA
Looks alot like MMA but then again all full contact fights do if they are not pure standup fights.

Throws and takedowns only look clean in a controled setting. As stated, someone is trying to take your head off. On the street the technique may even seem cleaner but that is due to the other guy not knowing what you are capable of.

Kyokushin matches are the same way. Loss of technique all the time. Standing toe to toe and slugin it out alot of times.

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga