FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#273856 - 07/21/06 02:40 PM What training injuries can I expect in JKD?
MartialMack Offline

Loc: Nashville
I'm really wanting to train JKD. I'm looking into training with a full instructor in PFS/JKD, but as a professional musician, I'm concerned about injuries.

Is there a balance I can strike with "going easy" yet still getting the proper physical conditioning? For instance, since wrist injuries are my biggest concern, maybe I can, for now, go lighter on punching, but heavier on elbows and knees and clinch work?

I feel with JKD especially, there is an emphasis on knowledge and "visualization," with conditioning as more of a support system-- meaning you don't have to train like a UFC or Pride fighter to be effective.

Help!

#273857 - 07/21/06 03:04 PM Re: What training injuries can I expect in JKD? [Re: MartialMack]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Depends on the school. My old JKD school did more with drills and pad work than actual sparring, so the injury rate was very low. Have you checked out any particular schools to see what they train like?

#273858 - 07/21/06 05:28 PM Re: What training injuries can I expect in JKD? [Re: MartialMack]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
If that is a great concern to you, I would recommend strengthening your wrists. You can get great info on that in the strengthening forum. I would also suggest ensuring your punching technique is good, knowing this will diminish any danger to your wrists. You should keep your weight and forward momentum perpendicular to your knuckles, this way your wrist wont be forced to twist on impact, keeping your hand safe.

Dont punch into the air full force, I just injured my elbow by throwing a full force, fully snapped straight left in the air. Full force is for heavy bags and focus mitts or well protected full contact sparring.

#273859 - 07/22/06 12:25 AM Re: What training injuries can I expect in JKD? [Re: MattJ]
MartialMack Offline

Quote:

Depends on the school. My old JKD school did more with drills and pad work than actual sparring, so the injury rate was very low.

So is sparring usually the culprit for injuries? That would make sense as the "live" component is unpredictable, and you're also on the receiving end of things.

Quote:

Have you checked out any particular schools to see what they train like?

The one I'm looking into is run by a full instructor certified by Paul Vunak in his "Progressive Fighting Systems" JKD. I'm yet to actually go for a visit, so maybe I can get back to you guys when I do.

#273860 - 07/22/06 12:30 AM Re: What training injuries can I expect in JKD? [Re: Ayub]
MartialMack Offline

Quote:

If that is a great concern to you, I would recommend strengthening your wrists. You can get great info on that in the strengthening forum. I would also suggest ensuring your punching technique is good, knowing this will diminish any danger to your wrists. You should keep your weight and forward momentum perpendicular to your knuckles, this way your wrist wont be forced to twist on impact, keeping your hand safe.

Great tips.

So are you referring to the Wing Chun style punching? I know this is how Bruce punched...

Quote:

Dont punch into the air full force, I just injured my elbow by throwing a full force, fully snapped straight left in the air. Full force is for heavy bags and focus mitts or well protected full contact sparring.

I'll keep that it mind! Thanks!

#273861 - 07/23/06 01:54 AM Re: What training injuries can I expect in JKD? [Re: MartialMack]
JustGuess Offline

Loc: Indiana
Assuming your training is any good, you should probably expect sore muscles, getting hit, slammed, and submitted on a somewhat regular basis.

JKD is all about learning what works best for you, and the only way to learn that is to test things out in sparring. Sparring carries obvious risks, but if you're not willing to take those risks in the name of improvement, then why are you even training?

#273862 - 07/25/06 01:36 AM Re: What training injuries can I expect in JKD? [Re: JustGuess]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
People train for all kinds of different reasons, and sometimes MA may come in the way of other priorities... so it all depends on the person.

#273863 - 07/25/06 02:19 PM Re: What training injuries can I expect in JKD? [Re: MartialMack]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Not to be mean, but if you're going to learn JKD but fear of being injured, forget it.

Injury is a part of MA. No matter how much you try to avoid it, it's still there. It's something that the body gets used to after a while and you can say "i don't suffer injuries anymore" but infact you are except you don't feel it. It's not called numb, it's more like getting used to it.

It's better to learn MA and get injured, than to not have learnt at all.

Be not afraid, for injuries does not come easily. It's just an urban myth.

-Taison out

#273864 - 07/25/06 05:46 PM Re: What training injuries can I expect in JKD? [Re: MartialMack]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
It really does depend on the group in question. With some groups (that I have personally seen and experienced), you may get a hang-nail or, (gasp) BREAK A SWEAT!!!!

While in others, you may need advil afterward.

-John

#273865 - 08/28/06 04:47 PM Re: What training injuries can I expect in JKD? [Re: Ayub]
Craze Offline

Quote:

You should not be fully extending your arm when you punch. You should be going 95% of the way and training yourself such that that becomes part of your muscle memory. If not, you could wind up taking yourself out of a fight with one failed punch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga