FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
Zombie Zero 2
AndyLA 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 47 of 67 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273542 - 06/04/09 03:58 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Man, that is my kind of Test. McDonalds! lol

Seriouly, I hope you are fine Dereck. Hoping it is not heart related and just stress, which we all have bud..

#273543 - 06/04/09 04:48 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Part of the stress test was walking the tread mill. I first got on and my heart beat because nervous was around 93 bpm and my blood pressure was 160/100; not good.

True. But there is always the 'white coat factor' to consider as you say (nerves artificialy elevating the readings), though the diastolic reading of 100 is less prone to large fluctuation, and should be lower.

Quote:

I started walking the first level and immediately I got into rhythm and got my heart rate to 67 bpm. Blood Pressure taken on start of second level where it is inclined and you must walk faster and I was at 200/100 (he said normal) and my heat rate went to entered the high 70's.

200/100 is not 'normal', it is hypertensive, but an increase in systolic pressure during exertion in comparison the baseline reading (160) is 'normal'. Probably commented on this as it is not 'normal' for heart rate to decrease with exertion, but this was just you shaking off the light adrenaline dump caused by anticipatory stress.

Quote:

Third level more incline and really walking. Heart rate now in the 90's and trying to get into a rhythm and control my heart rate; working well. On the third level they want you to make it to 85% of your rate (don't understand this)

220 less your age roughly equals your maximum heart rate, making your MHR 179. 85% of that figure is 152 bpm. Intensity of exertion changes blood chemistry, and can also show up any abnormalities in heart rhythm. Its like rebuilding an engine - you dont just turn her over and let her idle to confirm its ok, you take her for a drive, open her up a little, and listen for clanking

Quote:

as this is when they inject you with the nuclear stuff so when they scan you later it shows up.

You got me there. Above my pay grade i would think it would be to judge if there were any degradation in the heart valves - an inneficient pump may leave signs of 'pooling' of the dye in the chambers. Just a theory.

Quote:

I exceed the time it takes and I'm not at 85% in fact I start going down for for blood pressure to 140/90, my heart rate at 112 bpm and I was at 83% and it dropped to 81%.

By this time, you have been concentrating on the test for so long, that you are not thinking about the worries in the world off the treadmill, the stress abates, and you get a lovely BP reading (diastolic could be lower, but its within safe parameters, systolic is perfect). No way a guy with your exercise history is getting his heart rate to 85% through walking. They should have checked your history.

Quote:

They waited and I just kept trying to calm myself and the doctor asked, "and why are you here?".

If a cardiology assessor asks you that, its a fairly good sign, dont ya think?

The stuff with the food i think is to monitor lipids and how you deal with them, but again, this is just an 'almost' educated guess. Presume they took blood samples at various stages too?

Quote:

Hope all turns out okay.

I am sure it will buddy

#273544 - 06/08/09 01:01 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Heart results came back as normal. Makes me wonder why having chest type pains then????? Definitely feel it with anxiety and stress. Those are things I will have to work on as well as high blood pressure; but doctor still doesn't think I'm at a point to take medication especially since I can lower my results and only throughout the day; not night or morning, my results are high.

Won't get to start back at weight lifting and running till next week. Too much yard work for regrading and landscaping required. Plus Thursday is my PARE training for the RCMP (physical fitness test) and then Friday, Saturday and Sunday I am in training from 8:00 AM to 7:30 PM; my dance card is full.

Can't wait till next week to get things a little more back to normal.

Thanks for all of the support.

#273545 - 06/08/09 01:13 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Glad to hear the results were good.

So is PARE/RCMP for your job? or something else?

#273546 - 06/08/09 02:12 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: JasonM]
Aesir Offline

Loc: Croydon, UK
good to hear your doing ok.

#273547 - 06/09/09 04:16 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Heart results came back as normal. Makes me wonder why having chest type pains then????? Definitely feel it with anxiety and stress. Those are things I will have to work on as well as high blood pressure; but doctor still doesn't think I'm at a point to take medication especially since I can lower my results and only throughout the day; not night or morning, my results are high.

Won't get to start back at weight lifting and running till next week. Too much yard work for regrading and landscaping required. Plus Thursday is my PARE training for the RCMP (physical fitness test) and then Friday, Saturday and Sunday I am in training from 8:00 AM to 7:30 PM; my dance card is full.

Can't wait till next week to get things a little more back to normal.

Thanks for all of the support.

Take a step back and look at your post brother.

Now I know that you run on nervous energy - 4 hours sleep a night, right?

That's fine, we are who we are, but there comes a time when eustress becomes distress. This means that where your hectic schedule has been something you have coped with/thrived upon, it is now showing signs of being too much for your physiology. The chest pains were more than likely a series of mild anxiety/panic attacks.

Again with the car analogies: if you owned a vintage 60's mustang, whilst, with maintenance, it would rumble along just great, and look beautiful, you wouldnt thrash the sh1t out of the motor on a regular basis, as you would be in much greater risk of throwing a rod, or blowing a gasket, than if you were running a new, low mileage vehicle.

Dude, you are still a musclecar, but you cant be doing daily burnouts anymore. You need to ease off the rev's to make sure you keep rinning smooth.

Take care bro' , your body has been kind enough to give you a warning. You need to be smart enough to listen - it may not be so considerate next time.

#273548 - 06/09/09 09:23 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thanks all. Good analogy Cord and hopefully I can take the advise to heart; literally.

Quote:

So is PARE/RCMP for your job? or something else?

Jason, I've joined the Auxiliary RCMP to become a Special Constable. This is above and beyond my work and is just another thing to keep me busy and focused. Without focus I just don't function properly and life seems a waste. Since January when I lost focus in martial arts I needed something to fill that void. Weight lifting however I will never stop and later I plan to get back at BJJ.

This will require dedication and time. I would work my regular job Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 4:30 and then do a shift from 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM on either Friday or Saturday night; or both; plus be on call for emergencies and as needed. Will only need to do 2-3 shift a week to keep my hours in and to keep my status.

My goal was always to become a police officer however when applying back in 1992 the positions were no longer available and they stopped the program. I regretted not ever going back to get that dream and that has hung on me. I then started to make more money and to take a pay cut was just not possible; especially now. My house will be paid off in just over 3 years plus our two newer vehicles thus freeing up monies so that I can take a $40,000+ pay cut to become an officer and still manage. This will also look good on my resume and if for some reason I end up not enjoying it then I can walk away without having to worry about finding a job. It is a win win for me.

#273549 - 06/09/09 01:35 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

My house will be paid off in just over 3 years plus our two newer vehicles thus freeing up monies so that I can take a $40,000+ pay cut to become an officer and still manage.

With a history of heart desease in the family, high BP, and anxiety triggered chest pains, consider that you will pay nothing off from your grave, and that personal focus is only admirable if it is to the benefit of your dependants and loved ones. Nobody should want to be the fittest, busiest 44 year old in the cemetary.

Sometimes keeping busy is a masking tactic to prevent having to deal with issues. If you have no time to think, then you dont dwell. Some of the most driven successful people I have ever known, have been the most miserable at heart.

Not saying that is you, and its none of my damned bees-wax anyway , but if focus is your thing, make sure you apply it where it will do most good for all in your life.

#273550 - 06/09/09 03:54 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thanks Cord; and if I post here I leave it open for anybody to comment and accept that.

I certainly won't be the fittest but fit enough I guess.

My current job I find very stressful. I've been here over 21 years and having been here this long I know a lot and am expected to do a lot. This can be taxing at times; sometimes more then I can handle. While I enjoy many things I do and not having to worry about a boss hanging around me, as I only answer to the President and he leaves me to myself as I get things done and done right, sometimes I wish I would have followed my dream; becoming a police officer.

I'm still weight lifting but have stopped martial arts as of January 2009. I have picked up "some" running; and say some as need to get back on track but was sidelined due to this and home renovations/regrading of house (another stress). Doctor has also encourage more cardio so am on the right track. This Special Constable position will help me once and for all to either (1) start a new career or (2) decide I don't want it after all. I have to get rid of that feeling that I missed out on something and gave up; I can't afford to not try and I can't give up on things anymore. I only have a few regrets in this department but I need a clear mind.

Trust me when I say this Cord, my wife and daughter are my main focus and have been for a long time. I love these people dearly and I make time for them. Years ago with weightlifting and martial arts I got to a bad point in my relationship of being too selfish and I almost lost this; I will never make that mistake again.

Many may not know this, especially after the above comment, but I'm a very giving person and sometimes I don't think about myself but put others ahead of my own needs. I just need to do this for myself and if works out it will be a stress relief and a new path. I may have been sidelined but a course correction is in the making. And if it doesn't turn out then I won't have any regrets.

Thanks for your thoughts as always.

#273551 - 06/09/09 06:17 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Bro', dont for a second think I dont know that you family is your priority. I guess my point is that, as a traditional guy, you see yourself as provider/protector, and most of us express this role by working our a$$es off to give those we love the best we can- often at the expense of our own dreams and desires.

Thats all good, providing that the dynamic doesnt cost you your health/wellbeing.

Your family would prefer to have you fit and healthy and around for a long time, than sacrifice you in the name of a paid off house.

I know you will do whats right for you, take care my friend

Page 47 of 67 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga