FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111, BUJU, Pilsungkarate
22931 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
futsaowingchun 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
Forum Stats
22931 Members
36 Forums
35588 Topics
432519 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 43 of 67 < 1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273502 - 09/23/08 06:19 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Get better Cord; and don't push that knee if it is bothering you; take your own medicine.

I am always surprised at how fast my body can react to lifting again. Grant it that I'm no where near the strength or size I have been in the past but with only working out 3 weeks the amount of gains is impressive thus getting me closer to where I was prior to the injuries and in some areas even greater results.

The body is an amazing thing and even after a week I felt better and looked better. It is like my body woke up and is now at attention. I missed this too much and a reason why I would never give it up.

I'm keeping things simple with now only 3 workouts a week instead of 4 or 5. 1 Push Day, 1 Leg Day and 1 Pull Day. I do the workout and then I'm done and relaxing. My best time for working out is right after work as I can keep the momentum going and then take advantage of eating my supper afterwards thus not having to take any supplements. And then that gives me the night free to spend with my family or just to watch TV or play some Xbox 360.

The neck is feeling very good and I'm happy. If my right index finger wasn't broke 3 weeks ago by a drunk friend I would be heading back to Muay Thai and BJJ classes but as I cannot grab let a lone punch, I will have to tough it out with just lifting ... which is sort of nice as I only then have one focus and I'm not continually on the go. The break is nice ... too nice at times that gives me thoughts not to go back. Then I get stupid thoughts in my head that due to impending neck problems going back would be worse and that I should listen to my doctor and others ... but then I see MMA on TV and I know that I can't stop.

So still plodding along. This December it will be 11 years going at this; feels dang good especially since I turned 40 last week. I'm more and more believing I could do this for life as that is what I will be striving for.

#273503 - 10/01/08 02:26 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Further update. I started my 6th week and just finished my 17th workout; to think from January and prior to this I had only worked out 32 times. Glad to be doing this again and loving it.

I started with 4 days a week but realize now that 3 days is enough; Pull, Legs and a Push day. I've also modified things for my strengthening workout, which are:

1. 4 exercises per workout

2. 5 sets; first set approximately 60-80% of what I'm going to lift for 10 reps to get good form, technique and a slight sweat. The rest full out.

3. 5-8 reps for the 2nd to 5th sets.

While over the years I have lost strength and size I am not in too rough of condition. I am making some good gains in these last weeks which is positive. Take for instance Bent-Over-Rows with a barbell. Last week I did 7 reps so thought I'd up it another 5 lbs only to find this time I could do 8 reps which means next workout another 5. Bench in 5 weeks went up 15 lbs; though no where near it used to be which is sad but I'm starting over and while I may never bench the big numbers like I used to; I'm still benching and that is a positive.

Another thing I'm working on is arms. I love tricep workouts but hate bicep workouts. I am really working them hard and probably more for visual aspect. They are getting stronger and each time I work out it is another rep with the next one at 8's so I will be able to move up another 5 lbs or more next week. And finally after 10+ years my biceps are the same size as previously my right was always 1/4" to 1" larger though at times my left was the stronger of the two; and I'm right handed.

Man it feels good to be doing this. Still healing up and will wait to jump back into martial art training. Miss it but I would miss this more as weight lifting is my greater passion of the two.

Just thought I'd share.

#273504 - 10/01/08 02:37 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Hey Dereck,

Keep up the great work buddy.

I had a question. When does one know they should up the weight?

For me, I up the weight when I can do 8 reps and probably 9. If it is a small muscle group I up the weight by 5 and a large muscle group by 10. Does that sound about right?

#273505 - 10/01/08 04:09 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: JasonM]
Aesir Offline

Loc: Croydon, UK
Sounds like its all going nicely. Stick with it and keep up the hard work to reap the benefits.

JasonM: Depending on what your goals are will help you decide when to move up weight. Most try and add weight(2.5lbs-5lbs for big exercises and 1.25lbs for smaller ones) each session or week dependant on the schedule of the trainer; ie if you are doing curls 3 times a week on different days I wouldn't want to add weight each session as they are small muscles and will burn out quickly.

#273506 - 10/01/08 06:25 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Aesir]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

cool greatly appreciate it.

#273507 - 10/02/08 06:18 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: JasonM]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Jason, just from years of experience I know what my body can handle when I get to a particular rep. And I've found this will differ from one type of exercise to another. In many cases say for a bench press I like to move up 10 lbs however many times that isn't so so I will only move up 5 thus starting in the lower reps again. That is sort of why I chose the 5-8 reps.

What I've also found is that it "might" be too much weight but I've also found that determination and intensity kick in and I can get it down and once I've obtained that I know with hard work I can get it again. You would be surprised that unknowingly you can do more but you have got complacent in what you are doing and while you think you are working hard and intensely that you could be doing just that little bit more that can make the difference.

The thing is challenge yourself to do more and if you can then that is a bonus. If you can't then at least you know and drop it down some weight only for you to try again later. You have several sets a head of you, nobody says they all have to be at the same weight or reps for all of them. As long as you are challenging yourself and not cheating what you are doing, then you are on the right track.

#273508 - 10/03/08 01:44 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Wednesday was Leg Day. My goal was to really push myself so that when I was done I would have a hard time walking; I barely made it up the stairs. The skin on my legs was so tight that even if I tried I could not grab any skin. The muscles that are apparent above the knee were super engorged and I wish they would have stayed that way. Mission accomplished; great workout.

#273509 - 12/16/08 01:12 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Still plugging away on a Push/Pull/Leg routine. Have made some increases but not huge; I'll take anything. Body has been feeling good as of lately so can't really complain. I've put on some extra weight and am 204 lbs as of this morning weighing myself at work on our accurate digital scales used in the plant. I'm trying to feed the muscle by taking protein more regularly however I've also seen an inch grow around my waist however not really noticeable surprisingly.

I'm actually going to take some time during the Christmas holiday to see what I actually do eat to see if I'm not eating enough or I'm eating too much. While I'm not a calorie counter it is a good idea to know here you are once in a while.

Still haven't returned back to class since the end of July; this bothers me. While my neck is feeling good my right index finger that was broken at the knuckle by a drunk buddy still is giving me problems. While it is better I still cannot make a fist with it so punching will be a problem even with gloves on; plus gripping for grappling will be difficult. I wake and it is stiff and sore and when ever I slightly bump it or tweak it I am reminded of that night it was broken and the pain. January I will look to continue as I missed my first testing opportunity last month in BJJ for two stripes which sucks.

#273510 - 12/16/08 02:05 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Ilove2Hit Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
hope u make it till ur testing!

give it a lot of rest!

dont tease it or it will tease u back 100 times worse!

get well soon Dereck! i wish u the best!

#273511 - 01/08/09 11:40 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
well, its a new year, and in time honoured tradition, that means a new workout plan!

Have to say, I am quite pleased with this one.

workout 1.
Dumbell snatches 4x 8-10 alternating arms so its actually 8 sets total. Would like to go lower rep with these, but dont have access to big enough d.bells, so you dance with who brought you.

Plyo push-ups 4 sets. Not aiming for crazy volume, really concentrating on technique, with a rest pause at the bottom of each rep to overide stretch reflex. Hard work.

Plate stack row 4x 6-8 with 180 lbs (4 plates)

Dumbell curls 3x 8-10

Workout 2.

Standing dumbell press 4 x 8-10
Pulldown behind neck 4x8-10
Hyperextensions 4 x 8=10
Bridged Hamstring curl on swiss ball 3 sets

Workout 3.
Incline flye 4 x 8-10
Wide grip chins 4 sets
Squats 4 x 6-8
Tricep Pushdowns 3 x 8-10

On cardio days (2-3) I choose between swimming, 10 x 3 min rounds on the heavy bag, a 3 mile run or a savate class, depending on finances and shift pattern at work.

The workouts mix up bodyweight and compound work, with nods to both functionality and hypertrophy. i am finding it all a well balanced compromise so far.

Page 43 of 67 < 1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga