FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 28 of 67 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273352 - 01/30/07 12:22 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Update. It has just been over 6 weeks since my operation and I've been out of my brace now for 10 days plus this is my 4th week back at work. I've been doing physical therapy and tomorrow will be my 5th one. 7 are covered by Alberta Healthcare and after that I have to pay $45 though my work will cover me for $500 a year. I've been making steady increases but still working on bending my leg straight as well as further back as I still have pains when I do this. The front of the knee I'm starting to feel some pains in the spot where the bone was taken out of my knee and where a hole is now that I can put my finger into and when standing up the skin sinks into. I hope that this pain eventually goes away as grappling I'm on my knees a lot and this will be extremely uncomfortable.

After the operation I lost 15 lbs and have recently gained 5 lbs in just over a week ... bad weight; now 185 lbs. I did some measuring and I've lost size especially in my legs but that has to be expected. Just in my arms (R=16.5", L=16") I've lost a considerable amount that bothers me. I've lost muscle tightness and tone and I will need to work hard to get this stuff back. Now for the good news.

Monday, January 28, 2006 - Week 426, Day 1112

My goal is to lift light as I have to work back into this and I cannot put any undue pressure on my knee so this means no exercises where I stand up and use heavy weights. This workout is a work in progress and will play with it until I find something that works for me and then I will make adjustments as my surgeon and physcial therapist advise. When lifting I'm doing this with the brace on though I've adjusted it from 10/90 to 10/120 so there is more mobility in the leg.

I start with some light stretching and I notice immediately my body has been doing nothing for too long as even this felt involved. I'm tired, very tired. I stayed up until 2:00 AM downloading music (legally) for a workout CD to get me hyped. I believe I got only 2.5 hours sleep and not even a deep sleep though I did a 20 minute nap before I worked out. So the workout I was still a little tired but afterwards not so much. So remember, as I had to remind myself, I'm tired, lost size and strength and working around an injury.

Barbell Bench Press: 152 lbs x 5 reps for warm up; 222 lbs x 5 reps x 3 sets

Rear Lat Pulldowns (Machine): 120 lbs x 5 reps for warm up; 175 lbs x 5 reps x 3 sets

Barbell Seated Military Press: 100 lbs x 5 reps for warm up; 130 lbs x 5 reps x 3 sets

Tricep Presses (Machine): 90 lbs x 5 reps for warm up; 125 lbs x 9 reps; 125 lbs x 12 reps; 135 lbs x 9 reps

Seated Isolated Dumbbell Bicep Curls: 59 lbs (per arm) x 5 reps x 3 sets

Barbell (zero weight) Front Body Squats: 3 sets of 15 reps

Standing Calve Raises: 2 sets of 30 reps

Aftermath. Surprising doing the warm up on the Bench Press I wasn't sure that I could even do the 222 lbs but actually it was fairly easy and only struggled on the last rep on the last set otherwise I'm already to up the weight. Lat Pulldowns very easy as well so will up those. Military Press I can also up this next time. Triceps are still my strongest muscle and favorite by far. To think I can do more weight with my Triceps then for the Military Press. When getting the dumbbells ready for bicep curls I looked and they were at 69 lbs each ... wow ... I'm actually proud of that as I would do these after my back exercises that used these muscles and I could still do those weights for 3x5. I think if I did just the bicep then I could have done 75 lbs an arm. Anyways wasn't too difficult and I could have done more reps especially with my left arm as it is still stronger, though smaller. Squated with only the bar and the legs were happy as weight is out of the question at this time; don't want to push it. Same with Calve Raises as I was going to do 3 sets but the back of my knee said no and I listened.

Over all I'm okay with this. It was light and I'm not sore or feel like I really did too much though in a day or so I may know different. I will change some things up as I did not hit the middle/lower back. Surprising this took me 1.5 hours but that is only because I'm also moving a little slower and was resting sometimes 5 minutes between sets. Again a work in progress and I'm looking forward to more.

My goals at this point is to get stronger. I won't be able to do any pivot sports till probably June but I will wait for the surgeon to tell me as I have regular scheduled visits with him where he will check my progress with my second coming up on February 7th. So when I go back to TKD/BJJ I will hopefully be as strong if not stronger then I was before as now I will solely be focusing on weight lift and weight lifting only.

I'm back.

#273353 - 01/30/07 07:20 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

I think if I did just the bicep then I could have done 75 lbs an arm.

That's very impressive. At my peak, I used to do a 1 rep max of 150-155lbs standing barbell curl, at a body weight of a bout 165-170. But I don't think I could have ever done 75lbs with one arm.

#273354 - 02/03/07 03:00 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Friday, February 2, 2007 - Week 426, Day 1113

Light stretching and some light bench pressing with 150 lbs to get warmed up and to get the right mechanics.

Barbell Bench Press = 227 lbs = 1x4, 1x5, 1x4
Rear Lat Pulldowns = 180 lbs = 3x5
Closed Grip Lat Pulldowns = 155 lbs = 3x5
Barbell Seated Military Press = 135 lbs = 3x5
Standing Tricep Presses = 140 lbs = 3x7
Seated Isolated Bicep Curls = 59 lbs each = 3x6
Barbell Front Squats = 70 lbs = 3x10
Calve Raises = 70 lbs = 3x10

I upped the Bench Press but perhaps to premature. I was trying to do things light to work back into things but I'm realizing that this will take some time to recover but is a priority for me and will be working on making big gains. I upped the Lat Pulldowns and am going to up again as I had more. I added Closed Grip Lat Pulldowns as it incorporates the middle back which I didn't touch really last workout. Military Press I upped and will again as still had more. With the brace on it is surprising how much support I have. Tricep Presses I upped as well but I'm not liking this and will instead incorporate weight dips next time. Upped 1 rep for the Bicep Curls. I'm not one for doing this exercise but I like the after affects so do so. This is also going to be one of my priorities; bigger arm (triceps doing well and play a big part in this). My left has so much more in it and could have easily did 8 or 9 reps each time; its like I'm holding back but my right doesn't have anymore in it. I added weight this time for the Squats and Calve Raises and in fact did the Squats and then Calve Raises and then rested and then did another set. I figured I had the bar up already just get both done at the same time. I know, it isn't much weight but I could feel it in the front of my knee and perhaps I'm doing too much already as the bone to bone takes 3 months to heal and it has only been 7 weeks since the surgery. On Wednesday I meet with the surgeon again and see what he says; I'll play this one by the book to be safe.

All and all I'm just glad to get back into this as I missed it and my stress levels need it. I need to keep my mind busy and though I hate fretting about losses and worrying about weight lifting, it keeps my mind off of bad things because I can be one hell of an evil scary guy.

#273355 - 02/06/07 01:52 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Monday, February 5, 2007 - Week 427, Day 1114

Barbell Bench Press = 227 lbs = 3x5
Rear Lat Pulldowns = 185 lbs = 3x5
Barbell Seated Military Press = 140 lbs = 3x5
Weighted Tricep Dips = 150 lbs = 3x10
Barbell Front Squats = 80 lbs = 3x10
Calve Raises = 80 lbs = 3x10

Bench Press I was able to do the full 3x5 lifts. I really have to work on this and get it up. I will need to work hard, eat more and rest. Upped the Lat Pulldowns by 5 lbs; it was a little tough but was able to do it. Closed Grip Lat Pulldowns were a little easier this time as I focused more on the muscles I was using. Military Press went up 5 lbs without a problem so "may" up next time. Exchanged the Tricep Presses for Weighted Dips and was happier as I found I was incorporating too much shoulders in the presses whereas the dips I have to focus on the triceps. Bicep curls were easier and I will up next time the repetitions before I do a weight increase. Squats/Calve Raises I upped by 10 lbs but I question if I should as the knee still has discomfort and is far from healing; will discuss with Surgeon on Wednesday morning.

Tuesday will be a rest day and I will rent some movies. I will also be training my daughter (14) and wife (37) for the first time as they want to tighten some muscles. I am working on a light plan to start them out with. They are both active as my daughter does step aerobics and my wife walks daily (and has for 8+ years). They just want to do some fine tuning and I'm more then happy to help out.

Wednesday I have my follow up with my surgeon and will see where we go from there. I have many questions so hopefully this will be a good meeting. I then have physio at the end of the afternoon. Thursday I will work out again and Friday I have physio and will rest after that.

#273356 - 02/06/07 02:29 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Jeeze I can only curl around 50lbs on one arm, maybe 55 on my stronger left, and just 110 on barbell curl. STRONG! lol
Way to keep up with training after the injury! Stay hungry!
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#273357 - 02/07/07 10:12 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Stormdragon]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thanks for the props.

#273358 - 02/07/07 12:28 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Anytime bro.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#273359 - 02/08/07 12:35 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Stormdragon]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Tuesday I was tired, really tired. I came home and rested and then trained my wife and daughter who were really gun-ho. I was excited for them and though I didn't push them to hard I gave them encouragement, and today on Wednesday they are feeling the tightness and aches. I've encouraged them that this is good and that continued training with again on Friday will give them the goals they want. I then watch "Flags of our Fathers" and "The Guardian" and then headed to bed.

Wednesday I had a 9:30 appointment with my surgeon at the hospital. Unfortunately due to 2 other doctors being gone my surgeon had to take on their patients and I did not get out of there until 11:30. The meter had ran out at 10:30 and luckily no ticket was on my vehicle and hopefully I won't find one in the mail. Most of the people were old timers and I made a comment later at work that I disliked old people ... more out of anger for the wait. This bit me in the ass as after physio when I went to leave I found my shoes missing and a pair of old goloshes where the only things left. I had to go home with my gym shoes and then later received a call saying an old person had taken my shoes by mistaken. DOH! Like I want them back now but charma must have bit me in the ass for my earlier comment.

Anyways the surgeon says I'm a head of the game and I can now lift some weights with my legs but less then half that I would normally do. He assures me that the feeling will come back in the left side of my knee/leg and I will again meet with him in 8 weeks and he will see where we go from here. He encouraged me to continue lifting weight ( ) but when I asked about TKD and BJJ he said 6 months, repeated again and told me that is what he told me before. I knew it but I guess I head to hear it again. Saddens me and currently I'm feeling down but I'll get by somehow and put more into my lifting.

Lifting Thursday, training wife and daughter Friday. I'll need to focus and when I come back in June I will be bigger, stronger and faster then when I left ... or that is my goal.

#273360 - 02/09/07 11:29 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thursday, February 8, 2007 - Week 427, Day 1115

Barbell Bench Press = 227 lbs = 3x5
Rear Lat Pulldowns = 185 lbs = 3x5
Barbell Seated Military Press = 145 lbs = 1x3
Barbell Seated Military Press = 140 lbs = 2x5
Weighted Tricep Dips = 155 lbs = 3x10
Leg Extensions = 100 lbs = 3x5

Bench Press felt slightly difficult but I was able to get it done. Not impressed with this and I need to get back the numbers but I believe my shoulders are holding me back. Lats stayed the same. Upped Military Press only to find out that 5 extra pounds was too much and had to drop it back. Tricep Dips upped by 5 lbs and will do so again next workout. Arms pretty much the same thing but I really concentrated on the lift and slowed the decent and it felt great.

Leg Extensions ... I hadn't done these forever and when pulling the attachment out I had to wipe the cobwebs and dust from it. I haven't used this in years due to I exceeded the amount of weight I could lift with it but as well from information I read they are not to good for you. I was surprised when my surgeon, a sports surgeon, said he wanted me now to work on isolation exercises and he wanted me to do leg extensions. I questioned him and he insisted, and being who he is I have complied. I will work into these slowly as even 100 lbs which I though I'd blow through was slightly discomforting for my knee.

Afterwork I have physio today and then tonight I train my wife and daughter again.

#273361 - 02/13/07 11:30 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Monday, February 12, 2007 - Week 428, Day 1116

Barbell Bench Press = 227 lbs = 3x6
Rear Lat Pulldowns = 185 lbs = 3x6
Closed Grip Lat Pulldowns = 155 lbs = 3x6
Barbell Seated Military Press = 140 lbs = 3x5
Weighted Tricep Dips = 160 lbs = 1x12
Weighted Tricep Dips = 170 lbs = 2x8
Seated Isolated Bicep Curls = 59 lbs each = 2x6
Seated Isolated Bicep Curls = 59 lbs each = 1x9
Leg Extensions = 100 lbs = 3x10

I started my workout just shortly after supper and this made a heck of a difference. I had a BBQ steak, 2 eggs over easy, 1 hashbrown, 1 large glass of milk and 1 piece of cheese cake with carmel chocolate chip topping ... so lots of protein.

I upped my Bench Press by a repetition per set that I felt good about. The last set I had to push it out to get it and had to arch my back a bit but got it done. Also upped repetions on both Lat Pulldown exercises. Military Press I think next time I should be able to go up by 1 as I felt I had 1 or more in reserve. Triceps were rocking last night and I blew through the first set. Triceps are my favorite body part and maybe that makes the difference as to why I excell at these. I will up these again next workout though I wish I could do my Kickbacks but will have to wait longer for the knee to heal before I attempt that. Bicep Curls felt the same but on the last set I thought I'd push it to see what I had. I didn't go to failure so I think for sure next time I've got to up these. Leg extensions I upped 5 reps per set which I think was premature. This doesn't seem like a lot of weight but for my knee it is. What I do is lift with both legs "equally" and then lower mainly with my bad leg. Lifting I didn't have too much of a problem but lowering I did at the very end of the set. Felt some twinges of pain which I then stopped. Today, Tuesday, the leg feels just fine but all the same I won't push it.

I think a big part of why things worked well in this is that I'm starting to come around and my body is reacting to the stress of lifting and I'm hoping for even more gains. Eating and then lifting within an hour or so played a big part. After lifting I also had a protein drink to help further. For the first time I used an iPod while lifting as I usually listen to the stereo. With the music right in my ears I was pumped to lift and it showed.

Grade: A

Tuesday I will be working with my wife and daughter in their training; which is going well now. Both have gone through the DOMS and have now recovered and are feeling good about working out. With them both doing it at the same time they push each other a bit and have fun while I look on and shake my head always trying to get them to concentrate. But if they are having fun then that is good and hopefully will keep them motivated. As for me I get to rest today and tomorrow and then back at lifting again Thursday.

Page 28 of 67 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga