FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
Victor Smith 1
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 25 of 67 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273322 - 11/25/06 11:53 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Dag! 30 minutes is a LONG time to be sparring, especially on the ground. I have done a few 15+ minute matches, and was so wrecked from those that I could barely drive home.

Excellent job!

#273323 - 11/27/06 12:59 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
It was a draining night to say the least. Usually on Friday nights I go to bed after 4:00 AM and that night I went to bed just after 10:00 AM. More impressing was that Doug was doing this earlier with my Instructor prior to class. This guy has cardio like no other I know and keeps going and going ... like the Energizer Rabbit ... and Doug is 155 lbs and probably 44. Then on Sunday there was a grappling tournament and one of the guys, Chris Ade, had is fight canceled for King of the Cage due to his fighter couldn't get over the boarder so he grappled in this tournament. Chris is a Middle Weight but fought in both the Light Heavy Weight and Heavy Weight divisions back to back 16 matches ... unbelievable ... and he was still bounding around refreshed at the King of the Cage venue. That's excellent cardio.

#273324 - 11/28/06 01:36 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Monday, November 27, 2006 - Week 423, Day 1107

Barbell Bench Press = 247 lbs = 5/5
Bench Press Partials = 230 NitroFlex = 5/4/4
Barbell Seated Military Press = 152 lbs = 5/5/5/5/4
Kickbacks = 84 lbs (per arm) = 10/10

Draining weekend and very little sleep. In two days I've had 7.5 hours sleep. Instead of working out at night like I usually do where I've eaten supper and rested, I worked out after work but I was doing this on an empty stomach and was extremely tired. I used to work out after work but at that time I ate prior and was fired to go, tonight I wasn't but I did it none the less to fit in with the late supper. Also because I'm preparing for my lay off due to my ACL surgery, I've been cutting back the calories and have dropped 2 of my 5 meals. This also means I've dropped some weight to around 191 lbs.

Bench was good but the partials were harder then I did previous. Lost momentum on the end of the Military Press but I was still satisfied because I really pushed them. Kickbacks I only did 2 sets as the triceps were done from previous use.

DERECK'S TIPS:

I've seen it at gyms and just with working out with average friends. People swing the weight thus not getting a proper workout just so they can lift larger weights. The swinging I mostly see is on the bicep or tricep exercises so I thought I'd throw two of my exercise up here ... so feel free to comment, question or critize.

1. Isolated Bicep Curls

As you know I do these for my biceps and look like this:

I have however modified these so that instead of bringing them up immediately I take the weight directly to the floor and then lift again so that each lift is like doing the first one thus making them slightly harder as you do not have the momentum you would normally and you won't get the swinging effect. On the lowering part I do them slow so I get the full effect of this part of the lift and then when they touch down I re-adjust and lift up steady but fast ... though you'd never guess it. This I find really isolates the bicep work ... though remember focus on the bicep doing the work as this makes a difference.

2. Tricep Kickbacks

This is my favorite excercise of anything and probably one I pride the most. They look sort of like this:

The difference I do is that I do this standing and leaning over a bench but I don't put my leg on a bench, though I did in the beginning. I put most of my weight on my arm that leans over the bench and on my back leg. The leg on the bench in this picture I use as a post only and not much weight is on it other then to keep you stable and resides like a tripod in the middle (between back leg and leaned over arm). Once you have the weight distribution figured out then it is a matter of picking up your dumbbell and ensuring that you arm stays glued to your side. I like to bring it up first into a bicep type of curl so that I get the full range of motion extending it back. When extending it back make sure it is in-line with your back and if you want you can twist your wrist at the end for added tricep action. Then without swinging it bring it back with controlled momentum to the bicep type curl and repeat. If you swing it you won't get as good of a workout and I catch myself when I get tired doing this so watch for that.

#273325 - 11/29/06 09:28 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Was absolutely drained today and had no energy even at work where during break I kept falling asleep. I barely made it home and I would have considered this impaired driving. Came home and laid down on the couch and after supper I was so sapped of energy I knew there was no way I could go to class tonight ... not to mention my hamstring/butt muscle and knee pains. Suffice it to say I went to bed early as I had no choice ... the body won.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

This was my day planned for resting and I will still do this regardless of yesterday. Tonight I'm going to kick back in the hot tub at the Millenium Place and then go for ribs or hot wings at Earls. Thursday grappling class and Friday my Instructor's MMA Instructor is coming to teach class so that will also be a good class. Now to figure out where to fit in my other workout for the week?

#273326 - 12/01/06 05:43 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thursday, November 30, 2006

It started last night but unfortunately continued all day ... the runs. No nice way to put that. Felt literally like crap all day and when I got home I knew there was no way to attend grappling class ... white gi's and all you know.

Friday, December 1, 2006

Not missing tonights MMA/grappling class with my Instructor's MMA Instructor. I'd poop my pants for this one.

Saturday is daughter's 14th birthday and then plan to go shopping at West Edmonton Mall and do their nails and stuff. I will try to catch up on a workout that I missed during the week.

#273327 - 12/04/06 06:08 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Grappling on Friday was awesome. 2.5 hours total with a good 40 minute workout and then technical training for another 40 minutes. Class ended and almost everybody left except 3 or 4 of us that stayed to learn more and to roll with Mike. I wasn't aware he was a purple belt in BJJ but was certainly amazed how he tied me up with his uniform when rolling. I got probably more time rolling with him then anybody and loved every minute of it including all of the tapping. I have come away with so much more that I can't wait for our regular class.

Saturday, December 2, 2006

Daughter's birthday and I ended up going to West Edmonton Mall with everybody ... specially since my wife still is a scared to drive on the highway since her accident. Left at 9:00 and got home after 4:00 ... too long. Then I played Oblivion till 4:30 in the morning.

Sunday, December 3, 2006

People still came over to visit for daughter's birthday. After left I played over 8 hours of Oblivion. Monday is workout day no matter what.

#273328 - 12/05/06 12:41 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Monday, December 4, 2006 - Week 424, Day 1108

I'm on the countdown, 11 more days till my ACL reconstruction surgery. Excited but very scared and won't like all of the time off. I haven't been impressed with how things have been going. Sick, tired and just not getting things done. It has been 2 weeks since I did my PULL exercises and with such a short period of time I have to get in as much as I can so I had better buck up and get at it.

Light stretching, body weight exercises and Rear Lat Pulldowns 10 x 120 lbs for form and technique adjustments.

Rear Lat Pulldowns = 195 lbs = 5/5/5/5/5
Barbell Bent-Over Rows = 180 lbs = 8/8/8/8/8
Seated Isolated Dumbbell Bicep Curls = 69 lbs (each arm) = 4/5/4
Barbell Shoulder Shrugs = 250 lbs = 6/7/6

I could tell I had not done this for 2 weeks as I could only do the 5x5 for the Lat Pulldowns. I switched back to the Bent-Over Rows as I haven't been able to do the Deadlifts where I was also getting my lower back workout. Will have to up the weight back to 200 lbs I believe to get the 5x5. Biceps curls were harder then I thought they would be but the layoff has much to do with this. Makes me wonder what I could actually lift if I did them first and did not do them when they were already exhausted from doing 10 other sets prior to doing them. Switched out the Rear Shoulder Shrugs for the Front Shoulder Shrugs. I found it difficult to do without shoes for the rear for some reason and did not get near the workout I do normally. The reason I wasn't wearing shoes was I have a huge blister that is raw from Friday's BJJ class and with Saturday and all of that walking and then yesterday ... it hurts big time and is nasty.

Note: Is this thread dieing? Should I continue? I was going to use this or start another for my recovery notes on the ACL surgery and possible pictures. Good idea or not?

#273329 - 12/05/06 01:54 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
I wish you the best of luck on your surgery. If you want to change this thread to detail your recovery I don't have a problem with that. I don't think this thread is as active as it used to be.

Are you going to be able to train at all after surgery?

#273330 - 12/05/06 02:00 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: bo-ken]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Not sure. I've been told that I will need to take it easy in the beginning and my surgeon said he wants me back regularly to see where I am in my recovery and will know what I can do at each visit. I will be doing physio during this time within about 2 weeks of the operation ... the time after is critical so that I don't tear the remaining patellor tendon (between knee and shin) and the pieces they reattached as the new ACL. If either breaks then I have no recourse for further surgeries to fix it and will be worse off.

I tried doing many of my exercises and tried not to use my leg but found that this is used quite a bit for a stabilizer so most of my exercises will have to be stopped until the surgeon gives me the go ahead. Perhaps will do some body weight exercises or something to keep me active at least. I will play it day by day ... as well as my X-Box 360 that I bought for my recovery time.

#273331 - 12/09/06 03:26 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
This thread isn't dying buddy! sorry I have not been as forthcoming with posts, just I have been coasting a bit whilst my shoulder mends. Things have been different whilst I was away though, so here is the week that was.

Sat 2/12: 2 mile jog on the seafront. 6x3 minutes bag work with 20 crunches within the 1 min 'rest' between rounds

Sun: 100m (approx) (steep) hill sprints x8. 4x3 mins heavy bag

Mon: 6x3 min rounds light sparring with my Dad (hands only- kicking is 'not gentlemanly nor civilised' apparently, though it would seem stepping on my lead foot and pushing me over is the very height of sportsmanship )

Tues: Rest (hey, I was on holiday after all)

Wednesday: 20 groiners/20 plyo squats 4x3 mins. 4x3 mins heavy bag

Thursday: 10x100m hill sprints with heavy bag shouldered (alternating left then right)

Friday: Rest

Despite my best efforts, Homecooking has made short work of my waistline, but it was worth it for a good family christmas. Eating gets dialed back to normal tomorrow, and should be back to my nearly buff self in a week or so
Back to the gym for some good old fashioned resistance work tomorrow morning

Page 25 of 67 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga