FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 23 of 67 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273302 - 11/06/06 02:54 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: TimBlack]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Tim, you "the man". Jealous as can't lift because of stupid knee and won't be until after June 2007. Good for you.

#273303 - 11/06/06 09:23 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: TimBlack]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Nice job, Tim. That's very good for your body weight!

#273304 - 11/07/06 01:14 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Monday, November 6, 2006

Light warm up in class and then right into stand up swimming, underhooks and then clinching. Added was takedowns to a ground position and then stood up if you had a controlled position for more then 5 second so the previous skills could be worked on. I had to opt out at that point as my knee couldn't take it. Class ended and I felt like I missed out on some good fun. Stayed for another 1/2 to grapple one on one with Doug starting from the knees. We worked each other over and the matt burns to my face plus the blood on or doboks from his ear and lip and my forehead left us drained. Man I love grappling.

Tomorrow I will come home and workout as I may have plans to see a Hockey Game later with a buddy.

#273305 - 11/07/06 08:05 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Progress is slow with this shoulder, since my last post i have tried full pull ups, and the shoulder just cannot stabilise through the ROM at present, so have to stick with the horizontal bodyweight rows. Recognising that the shoulder problem will be leading to a natural dominance in the uninjured side, I have put some dumbell work in the programme to ensure this does lead to long term inbalance.

So now the routine looks like this:

Rowing: 1200m
Leg press 4x6-8
incline dumbell press 3x8-12
One arm dumbell row 3x8-12
Rear delt raise (with anterior rotation)3x8-10
Weighted Hyper extensions 4x8-10
Push ups/horizontal row 3xsuperset
Weighted ab crunch 4x10-12
Rowing 1200m

I am doing this 3-4 times per week, and it is working well enough, i just cant wait till I can go back to doing full chins and weighted push ups, but its still a bridge to far.
Patience is a virtue- that I am trying to hang on to

#273306 - 11/08/06 01:38 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Keep on recovering Cord.

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 - Week 420, Day 1102

Light warm up with body weight exercises and stretching and then did a light 12 x 120 lbs with the Rear Lat Pulldown to get the muscles going and to get the form proper.

Rear Lat Pulldowns = 195 lbs = 6/6/6/6/6
Closed Grip Lat Pulldowns = 165 lbs = 5/5/5/5/5
Seated Isolated Dumbbell Bicep Curls = 69 lbs (each arm) = 5/5/5
Barbell Rear Shoulder Shrugs = 250 lbs = 8/8/8

Lat Pulldowns I was able to go up by 5 reps total. Closed Grip Lat Pulldowns stayed the same but these really drain the biceps and I notice it when I get to them. For the curls the first 5 were okay but a little struggle with my right arm. The second set I had to assist the right hand to finish the 5. I stopped there and then did the Shoulder Shrugs and then went back to the curl to get the 3rd set.

Starting this workout I knew a lot of my body was tired from last nights grappling class. I could really feel it in my neck and arms, especially my triceps. Last night when leaving class my forearms and grip were drained and I believe it effected this workout.

It almost feels with this workout I don't need to workout the biceps anymore. Many of the programs I've seen have eventually dropped the biceps all together as they get worked out enough. Being that I hate bicep curls I have opted to stay with them. ????? Yes, stay with them. I would feel like I was taking the easy way out so I'm going to stick with them as I feel they still need more work so by isolating them they will eventually get to where I want them ... hopefully.

Class tomorrow, workout on Thursday and then play the rest of the week by ear. Tomorrow I also go in to get fitted for my knee brace required to wear during and after surgery. Fun, fun!

#273307 - 11/10/06 09:38 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Class started with 5 sets of 30 skiers over slammer shields, 10 monkey jumps and then 10 up and 10 forward lifts with the medicine ball. Felt great afterwards and then we had races. There were 4 groups of 3 and the first group had to race 4 laps (there and back) and the last two had to do 10 knuckle pushups. The second and third group the same, with me being in the 3rd group. I figured with my bad knee I was destined to do knuckle pushups and didn't really care as I can do those standing on my head ... literally. Anyways my group goes and something happened, ego kicked in and I came in second. Then we are told all of the winners are going to race for another 4 laps. I'm exhausted and very sore but I now know I will be doing knuckle pushups. He breaks it down so that 3 of the winners go first and then the last 3 of the winners go. I was in the last group and when it was my turn again something happened ... that darn ego kicked in again and I pushed it. On the final lap coming back people were cheering and I kicked it into the next gear and finished second by a nose. Then something bad happened, I crashed and my extersion asthma kicked in. I went and took my inhaller but I still couldn't get my heart rate and breathing controlled. Class started stretching and I worked my way back into class but had to leave as I was spinning and thought I was going to puke. Instructor followed as it is a rule that nobody feeling ill leaves alone to ensure they don't get injured or pass out. 10 minutes later I finally get things to a point I can stand up without getting wobbly and I rejoin class. Instructor realizing that I pushed myself too much allowed me to take a white belt aside to go over their pattern plus punching and kicking fundimentals.

Get home that night and coughing up flem plus the knee is killing me. What was I thinking? IDIOT! Lesson learned.

Thursday, November 9, 2006 - Week 420, Day 1103

Barbell Bench Press = 247 lbs = 5/5
Bench Press Partials = 230 NitroFlex = 4/4/4
Barbell Seated Military Press = 152 lbs = 5/5/5/5/5
Kickbacks = 84 lbs (per arm) = 10/10/10

Went up 5 lbs more on the Bench Press. I had nothing in reserve on the second and last set but I got it done. Found partials hard after that especiall in the 2nd and definitely the 3rd set. Military Press found hard as well and took sure will power just to finish it. Kickback ... love them still.

Friday doing nothing and my wife and I are going to watch movies downstairs while my daughter has her friends over for a sleep over. Saturday up early as I have a BJJ class in Edmonton and talked my buddy to finally come down and try.

#273308 - 11/10/06 05:42 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Wow tough luck on the Wednesday training Dereck, but hey it's gotta be better to train too hard than be too lazy

#273309 - 11/10/06 06:09 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: TimBlack]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

You said it.

#273310 - 11/12/06 03:08 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Friday, November 10, 2006

A day of rest spent with my wife watching movies.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Went to a BJJ class with my Instructor and a few people from my school. I had been sent here last year by my Instructor to train prior to competing in a tournament. Tough 1.5 hour class that is go ... go ... go. It was tough but I loved it and I realized that my skills are on par with others who train more then I do. I held my own in the free grappling afterwards and did 4 x 5 minute boughts with 30 second breaks in between.

Today, Sunday, some sore areas on my body, matt burn on the back of my head and forearems, knees are raw and sore ... but I'd do it again. I'm trying to get in as much as I can before my surgery.

Last night was a 40th B-Day for a friend but I let my wife drink as tonight we have a 36 B-Day to go to and I will drink here instead. Monday I will probably workout or go to class but not sure as we have Monday off for Rememberance Day.

#273311 - 11/15/06 08:12 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
The rehab continues, and as progress is made, so my routine changes.

the dumbell rows and horizontal pull ups were working the back and Bi's OK, but every time I tried a full pull up, the shoulder was not loving it. Assessment- need to work the specific ROM rather than working hard around the injury. Cue change in workout.

First off, cardio.

Still on the ergo rower- 2100 meters split into intervals, 100m @ split time of 2.30 stroke rate 28-30 then 200m @ 1.36-1.40 and stroke rate of 32-35. Thats 7 HIIT bursts.

Leg press 3x8-12 220kg
Wide grip Lat pulldown (alternating to front and back) 3x10-15 130lbs
push ups 3x failure
Upright rows 2x10-15 100lbs
Bicep Curls 2x10-12 25kg dumbells
weighted Hyper extensions plate 3x10-15
weighted Ab crunches 3x10-15

4x2 minute round heavy bag.

The whole thing takes 1hr flat. And the frequency is Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri.

The pulldowns are making the shoulder capsule stabilise through its 'problem' ROM. The upright rows work both the delts and the rotator cuff that was damaged, and the bicep curls are in there to compensate for the lesser loads the arms are experiencing during the lighter pulling exercises I am forced to do at the moment.

I am so pleased to be able to punch again- Joy

Page 23 of 67 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga