FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
cxt 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 27 of 67 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273342 - 12/14/06 12:49 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Always a pleasure Cord and thanks. The same for Den and yourself and the rest of your family ... as well as the rest of the forum memebers who frequent this thread.

#273343 - 12/15/06 09:55 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Sunday 10th

After a week away from the weights I was in the gym at 9am to make up for lost time. Still being careful with the shoulder though.

Leg press x4
Lat pulldown to front x4
Dips x4
Upright row x3
Dumbell curl x3
crunches x4

Monday

should have done some cardio, but dang it I have missed my weights

Leg press x4
pulldown behind neck x4
Push ups x4
Side raises x3
Tricep Pushdowns x3
Oblique crunches x4

Tuesday

10 groiners/10 plyo squats 4x3 min rounds
Heavy bag 4x3 min rounds

Wednesday/Thursday

The season took priority here- works meal and day on the town, followed by a much needed restful day before starting night shifts thursday night.

Friday

going to the gym before my shift. Going to try unassisted chins tonight- see how the shoulder feels. Verdict to follow.

#273344 - 12/20/06 01:38 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Friday 15th

Pull ups were OK for the first 5, but then on rep 6 my rotator lost its stabilising ability and i had to stop and switch back to Lat pulldown. this is still a great improvement as last time I tried them i could not do one due to the shoulder not wanting to play.

Sat/Sun

Rest- encouragingly, although my shoulder gave out on me the day before, there was no 'bad' soreness in the capsule today

Monday 18th

Leg press x5
Lat Pulldown x5
Dips x5
Upright row x4
Dumbell Curl x4
weighted Crunch x4

Keeping with a weight i could do no more than 12 with, I only allowed 30 seconds rest between sets, the idea being to focus on recovery abilities rather than maximal workload per set. By the final set of each exercise I burned out at around 7 reps. the whole workout took just under 30 minutes for 27 sets to failure. Pumped and gassed

Tuesday
A workout involving agility, patience, coordination, awareness and steady pace stamina- christmas shopping with the wife in a much too busy Cambridge town centre

#273345 - 12/28/06 01:31 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Not back 100% but doing fine. Here is the low down on the operation.

Went in on Friday, December 15, 2006 for 8:00 AM. They rolled me the the prep room at 8:45 AM. Doctor came to check me out. The anesthetic doctor came and checked me out and I told him I had problems getting sick afterwards plus didn't like going under and said would take care of me. Rolled me in at around 9:40 AM. Got my IV in my forearm (usually hand) and I was out in seconds which was the best I've ever gone under. I woke at 11:20 AM as they rolled me into recovery and they were surprised I was awake. I talked with them and they said I probably would not remember this but I told them that I was almost totally awake and I would for sure. They got me to my semi-private room (good insurance from work) at 1:00 PM which turned out to be private because I didn't have a room-mate. The freezing in my knee was to last 8 hours and they said then would continue to check on me so that when it came out they would be ready to give me drugs. After freezing out I had no pain. They came continually Friday afternoon and night to check on me and I still didn't have any pain. Saturday came and still no pain and I had to get up 4 times to go to the bathroom and I walked without crutches. They couldn't believe I had no pain and was walking without crutches. Saturday they came and taught me how to walk on crutches and then released me and I was home by 1:00 PM.

All of Saturday no pain. I should mention I had not slept since waking up in recovery and stayed up Saturday night and did not go to sleep until Sunday night. Sunday night my knee hurt like hell. It was pain so I started taking the pain medication they gave me and it did not work at all. By Monday pain would have been fine but I was beyond that point but thankfully my wife's mother was a retired nurse and her father has recently gone through a hip replacement a few months back so still had pain medication that did work but it knocked me out bad. I was in bed Sunday night through all of Tuesday in a drug induced pain. Wednesday wasn't a bad day as my wife had gone to my GP the day before and got me new medication that allowed me to think clearly and get myself up out of bed. Wednesday night while sleeping I jerked my leg really bad and woke up screaming in pain and thought for sure I had retorn it ... that was pain ... very bad pain. During the days with my leg up and icing regularly I was able to get into my X-Box 360 and Oblivion which is what I've been doing pretty much since. I've been putting in 12 to 18 hours a day on this thing if you can believe it. Yesterday I was able to move around a bit without crutches as well as today. Head clear, very little pain unless on my leg a lot, otherwise doing just fine.

Here is a photo of my leg and its 25 staples the day after surgery when I got home. 19 down the middle and then ones on the sides and one at the top that can't be seen in this photo. If you look closely you can see the word YES as I had to write "yes" on one knee and "no" on the other with a marker.

Free Image Hosting

So I will continue to heal up and will be getting the staples out on the 3rd. Then 4 weeks from the operation date I start Physio and then I will see when I can start weight lifting lightly. I've got the urge to get back at things as believe it or not, from the time I started preparing for this and cutting back meals and then after surgery, I've lost between 10 to 15 lbs so am around 183 lbs now. Plus not using my leg and constantly adjusting the straps on this Donjoy Brace and comparing my leg size, it has shrunk in this short period of time.

I also thought I'd mention that for the first two days after the surgery I had no drugs. I then took medication for 10 days and stopped Christmas day. I had pains but I could manage them and as long as my leg was up and not moving it felt not too bad. I still feel pains but I've been living with pains so no problem. Physio ... I'll let you know then if I can live with the pain.

#273346 - 12/28/06 02:01 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Sounds like your recovering well bud, look after yourself and don't do anything stupid

#273347 - 01/04/07 02:10 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

The univerity gym closed for the holidays on the 21st of december till Jan 2nd, so home training and one off sessions here and there were all I was aiming for, and by george thats all I did!

Wednesday 20th Dec. Dip/chin/plyo squat/lateral raise/stomach crunch 4x circuit

Thurs 21st Dec. 8x hill sprints (60m) 8x 2 min rounds heavy bag.

Saturday 23rd Dec. Went to the gym I used to be a member at for a one off session. Took advantage of access to some heavy dumbells for incline press, did some seated low cable rows, then pyramided up to 300kgx3 on their plate loaded leg press! This is the heaviest I have leg pressed for about half a decade, and I was very happy (and a touch dizzy). Stoked up by this I did a nice superset of upright row with dumbell shrug, then finished off with low cabel curl/high cable pushdown supersets. Nice.

Christmas Day: Between opening presents and a champagne breakfast I managed to run off my hangover and do some push ups and chin ups over at the kids playpark- very 'Rocky'

26th-29th are just a haze of booze and chocolate.

30th- the circuit from the 20th December x5 (extra one due to guilt for previous days excesses)

New Years Eve: back to work during day. Saw in the New Year in style in the evening.

New Years Day: Didnt get to bed till 5am, and was at work on nights this evening, so just slept through

Jan 2nd: My patented 'undo christmas' cross training routine.

1.5 mile run
Chin/push up/side raise circuit x3
3 mile bike ride
4x 2 min round on heavy bag
Plyo squat/stomach crunch superset x3

Jan 3rd: same
Jan 4th: rest.

Back into the 'proper' gym tomorrow morning.

#273348 - 01/04/07 02:25 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Staples removed yesterday. Walking without crutches for the past 4 days and getting better. Starting physio in a week and am already a head of the game for recovery. After starting physio I will gauge how I am feeling and then lightly get back into weight lifting. Very anxious to get back at things but won't push it.

#273349 - 01/13/07 08:42 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Jan 5th: was going to go to the gym, but darn it, I am just enjoying the peace and quiet of my garage too much to face the sweating hords of those with new year resolve. Same workout as Jan 2nd and 3rd.

Jan 6th: 3 mile bike ride. 4x3 mins heavy bag. 3 mile bike ride. 3x20m frog hops/stomach crunch superset.

Jan 7th: Rest

Jan 8th: As Jan 2/3/5

Jan 9th: Back to the gym, but only to use the free space upstairs (complete with dip/chin station, heavy bag and circuit apparatus).

4 reebok steps set parallel to one another approx 1m intervals, each set higher than the last.

travelling plyo jump on to then off each 4 steps, turn around then jump clear over them on return. 2 min non stop, alternated with 2 min heavy bag till 5 'rounds' of each completed.

2x chin/dip superset.

Jan 10th & 11th: Oh my giddy aunt! Doms in my calves and my knee tendons hate me. Rest, like the old man i am

Jan 12th: The interactive 'Rocky' experience
Trained at work whilst watching Rocky 1 (the ability to do such as this is a welcome occasional perk).

Chins/press up/lateral raise/stomach crunch/plyo squat circuits x5- all whilst rocky trained on the screen next to me. 'Gonna fly now'

Saturday 13th: Rest

#273350 - 01/16/07 02:55 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

32 days since my surgery and I'm getting antsy plus I can feel my stress levels going up as weight lifting and martial arts calmed me.

I've been walking around without crutches since after Christmas plus have not taken any medication since Christmas Day. Some discomfort for sure but nothing I'm not used to. Start physical therapy on Friday afternoon and am looking forward to my leg getting back to normal. Wearing a fulltime DonJoy brace and the only time I take it off is to shower in the mornings so looking forward to losing this soon.

My neck that I injured in 2004/2005 has been really bothering me in the last week and a bit; more so then normal. I believe that weight lifting helped to make it stronger and now without this strength training those terrible aches and pains are working their way back. After my physio appointment I am going to see if I can start back lightly with weight lifting on Monday. I will have to modify many things as I cannot stand and do certain lifts nor can I put any pressure on my leg of that magnitude yet. It will be modify and adapt for the first while but anything is better then sitting around idle.

Don't worry, I won't push it and will stop if I feel anything but I'm going stir crazy and the X-Box 360 can't seem to fill all of the voids I have.

I've lost a total of 15 pounds since a week before my surgery where I started to reduce the number of meals I was eating and the amount of each meal. I'm 180 lbs and just don't feel like myself. Some friends jokingly said that happens when you get off the juice.

#273351 - 01/16/07 03:50 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

i should think that some pulldowns, bench, and seated press/shrugs wouldnt be out of the question now, providing you can sit in such a manner as to not put pressure throught the knees. See how you go buddy

Page 27 of 67 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga