FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 13 of 67 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273202 - 09/08/06 03:04 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Friday
Was going to go do my bag work/cardio after work, but two weights days in a row left me kinda sore, so decided to do the following instead.

1. go straight home
2. Get on the phone to a mail order company and order an xbox360 and a copy of Dead Rising
3. Go to the store around the corner and but a DVD copy of silent hill and a tub of 'Skinny Cow' fat free ice cream.
4. Eat ice cream and watch movie with Den and talk excitedly about killing zombies on monday when the console is delivered

tomorrow evening I will work out (i now couldn't afford to do anything else )

#273203 - 09/08/06 04:00 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North

#273204 - 09/09/06 07:56 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Quote:

4. Eat ice cream and watch movie with Den and talk excitedly about killing zombies on monday when the console is delivered

Wow, is she a stepford wife? I need to get me one of those!

#273205 - 09/09/06 03:16 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: TimBlack]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Wow, is she a stepford wife? I need to get me one of those!

You know, there is the perfect partner out there for everyone. The trick is to have the luck to find them. I have never, and will never win the lottery, nor a toss of the coin, nor a game of cards. Every ounce of luck that the fates gave me at birth got used up in one concentrated dose the day i met my wife
I wish you the same good fortune in your life.

on a less vomit inducing note, back to the training journal.

Saturday

i nailed it! This was the best weights workout I have had for years.
I was still left stewing over my first attempt at pre exhaustion the other day- I knew it used to feel much better than it did that workout, so I decided to have another go. I am glad I did

Leg extensions 1x12 160lbs 8,6- 175lbs
Leg press machine 1x10 330lbs 2x7 360lbs
Incline flye 10,9,9 55lb dumbells
Seated chest press machine 6,5,3- 200lbs
rear delt raise on hyper extension bench 14,11,9- 31lb dumbells
Seated Row 8,8,5- 205lbs
front raise 10,9,7- 31lb dumbells
Dumbell shoulder press 4,5,3- 66lb dumbells
Shrugs 9,9,9- 200lbs

Thats 27 sets total. All to failure, all completed in 36 minutes. No timed rest, just breath, and force yourself to push on with a view to making yourself as tired and miserable as possible

You should all have a go at the rear delt work on the hyper extension station- set it up just as usual, but instead of bending and raising the torso working the lower back, fix yourself at the top of the movement, body just above parallel with floor, back straight. Tighten your core and hamstrings, and keeping this position do your rear delt flyes. The total back engagement is intense, as is the static contraction of the hamstrings, strangely, with all that going on, it really helps focus the contraction of the shoulder blades at the top of the rear delt flye.

Total body workouts are so much fun- nothing beats that all over fatigue and pump. Love it

#273206 - 09/11/06 09:07 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Sunday
Rest- I was in DOMS hell

Monday
Bored of DOMS, so did a little recovery workout in my garage.

5 mile bike ride
3 sets of weighted dips
3 sets of wide grip chins
2 sets of kettlebell swings.

This should loosen me up and get me ready for the gym tomorrow.

#273207 - 09/11/06 09:18 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
5 miles in your garage? You must be dizzy!!

I know you probably don't need the motivation, but good job.

#273208 - 09/11/06 02:26 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Quote:

Sunday
Rest- I was in DOMS hell

Not suprised after saturday...

#273209 - 09/12/06 12:22 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Friday, September 8, 2006

Had Father who was down from Mississauga, Ontario over for a couple of drinks and a BBQ. My Gran also came (his mother).

Saturday, September 9, 2006

Mowed lawn and pretty much relaxed. Had supper at a friends place where he cooked filet mignon wrapped in back over an open fire; plus smoked smokies (smoked ham sausages). Then after we went riding sport bikes and my brother allowed me to take his Ninja so I parked my Katana and had a blast. My brother said it really wants to take off at 180 km/hr (112 miles/hr) and he wasn't kidding. Up over 200 km/hr (124 miles/hr) and in the dark I throttled back. He said he got up to 280 km/hr (174 miles/hr) on it and it still had lots to go. For sure getting a new sport bike next year.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Another day of rest. Watched "V for Vendetta" that I downloaded (my first movie) and thankfully I never seen this at the theatre or rented it; horrible. Went for a walk with the wife that night.

Monday, September 11, 2006 - Week 413, Day 1090

Hard day on the eyes so they needed a rest after work; too much time on the computer at work. Should also mention this past weekend/week I've suffered pains in my knees and my hamstring/butt, plus a little bit of neck aches. Managing though and always will.

Seated Rear Lat Pulldowns = 195 lbs = 5/6/5/5/5
Barbell Bent-Over Rows = 200 lbs = 5/5/5/5/5
Dumbbell Seated Concentration Curls = 69 lbs (per arm) = 5/5/5
Barbell Rear Shoulder Shrugs = 240 lbs = 6/6/6

Warmed up the shoulders good and got some good mobility. Set the Lat Pulldown machine to 100 lbs and did 20 quick ones to warm myself up and then did some light stretching before hitting them hard (deja vue )

Upped the Lat Pulldowns by another 5 lbs and it felt good. This is where I will stay for the next while till I've gotten things really well down.

Bent-Over Rows I dropped by 10 lbs, like I've been hinting at the last times I did these. I held the lift longer at the top so only got the 5 reps out for each but possible I may stay here or drop it some more next time to just make sure I am really here and am using as good as form as I can. Doing these I coul really feel things and almost felt like somebody had me in a bear hug as the muscles in the back were so tight that I could feel my ribs and abs.

When starting the Lat Pulldowns I could feel a twinge in my right bicep. The last thing I want to go is this arm again but I continued on with the bicep curls. I did the first one and it hurt a little but nothing worse then I've felt. I did it two more times and figured "don't push it as you will be sorry" so stopped here. I was able to lift 1 more rep each which I was happy. My right had to work hard to do it but my left again wanted to rip off a few extra but I didn't.

Shrugs I thought I'd kill so put 250 lbs on the bar and was totally surprised I couldn't lift it. I dropped it back down to 240 lbs but was only able to get 6 reps for each which is a drop ... but I attribute this to pushing hard in the beginning of my workout and a good hint to finish up.

Supper and then went to say good bye to my Father as he leaves in the morning. I have Sparring Class tomorrow (Tuesday), Grappling on Wednesday and Target Sparring/Breaking on Thursday. Friday is leg day and I'm going to try 400 lbs for the Deadlift.

#273210 - 09/12/06 11:36 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Friday is leg day and I'm going to try 400 lbs for the Deadlift.

Remember, when you do this, your instinct is going to be to pull with everything, including the bicep. Be very carefull to maintain straight arms so as not to put any direct tension on the bicep tendon, let the grip and brachialis take the strain. I know you know this, but I always remember going heavy i would have this tendency to try and pull with the biceps to gain every it of leverage i could- not good technique, and with a bad bi tendon, very dangerous with that sort of weight.
You will get the 400- i am 110% sure of it

Today I did the pre exhaust thing again, exactly the same as Saturday, apart from using the plate loaded leg press with 462lbs for 8,6,6. much better than the cable machine.

Friday is going to be back to pure compound movements for a basic low volume finish to the week.

#273211 - 09/12/06 03:11 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thanks for the tips Cord. My plans are to add 10 lbs so I will do 3 or 4 sets of 5 of 350 lbs and then attempt the 400 lbs (attempt being the key word). Like last time I will probably do some body wieght Deadlifts to make sure I have the form correct before I attempt it, which will also help me with the mind set. I'm not too worried about the bicep as much as the knee and back. Knee because of ACL but as long as I've got that planted and don't shift I should be just fine. The back I will have to ensure that I don't incorporate this as the main muscle used and make sure my legs are carrying the load and the back is just to straighten up. With the under/over grip I find it a much more relaxed hold and just let them hang so I don't think the pulling will happen but really appreciated and will keep that in mind when I attempt it. Hopefully won't be too drained come Friday with all of the training during the week. I took Friday and Monday off for an extra long weekend so I hope that with being able to sleep in a bit on Friday I will have some extra energy to pull this off. Fingers crossed.

Page 13 of 67 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga