FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 55 of 67 < 1 2 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#426095 - 03/27/10 04:45 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
STILL plugging away. Only getting 2 workouts a week with some weeks 3 but surprising I have made some gains. I can now lift more then what I could 2 years ago which is a great positive especially since over the years I've seen a steady decrease. Finding at 41+ that I need to lift smarter not necessarily more often. Finding my recovering times are greater now then they were before.

The only things I'm taking is some protein supplements that I take 1 scoop a day around 2:30. I have found this has not only helped but also I have actually slimmed down which is another positive. And I especially need that type of positive since roaming around in a patrol car results in not eating as healthy as I could be. Quick stops for A&W or McDonalds is horrible not to mention people bring cookies, donuts and snacks to the detachment that I find hard not to indulge since I have a huge sweet tooth. And my wife has candy dishes around the house with 6 as you come in the door. Not to mention the bin of chocolate bars in the fridge. I tell her to stop buying this crap but she says it always gets eaten ... by me! If I wasn't actively working out I'd be 300 lbs of blah but thankfully I'm a healthy 200 lbs now.

Will try to keep on track with the lifting and try to eat more healthy or make some better choices and grow some will power or something. I also think I am seeing some better results since I have put some extra effort into my legs lifts. I've always worked my legs but have to admit they are not my favorite thing to work out but I'm pushing them more then ever now. When done lifting I have a hard time walking especially with stairs. And many times I have to lay down to recover for 20 minutes in order to feel okay.

Some set backs are some skin cancer on my nose. I went for my first PDT (http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Therapy/photodynamic) on Tuesday and have my second scheduled for April 5th. Eyes are still very sensitive and did not enjoy the 48 hours after wards where I had to stay away from the sun, computers, florescent lights and TV; all things that give off blue light that could cause extreme burning. Hoping all works well.

Here's to a good 2010.

#427908 - 06/24/10 09:02 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Now the 2nd operation on my knee is in the past, and all the metal has been removed, the knee feels great cool

Training is now a 2 on 1 off body split like so:

Workout 1: Back and Chest
Incline Bench 4 set pyramid (12,8,6,4)
Cable Flyes 4 x 4-6
Wide pulldowns to front: 4 x 12,8,6,4
Seated Rows 4 x 4-6
Shrugs 4 x 12,8,6,4

Workout 2: Shoulders, arms and legs
Dumbell press 4 x 12,8,6,4
Front raises 4 x 6-8
Tricep Kickbacks 4 x 6-8
Dumbell curls 4 x 6-8
Single leg leg press (left only) 1 x 25 , 3 x 10-12

Rest days = knee rehab exercises.

#427924 - 06/25/10 01:48 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Nice to see you on the recovery mode Cord and still lifting. Inspiration to say the least buddy.

#427929 - 06/25/10 06:40 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Cheers Bro', speaking of recovery, how goes the treament for your melanoma?

#427936 - 06/25/10 09:22 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

The first treatments have not brought the results required. I have another consultation in July to see where we proceed. Perhaps a couple more treatments or perhaps cut it out. I will keep you updated.

#427938 - 06/25/10 09:29 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Please do brother. Our very best thoughts to you and yours smile

#427941 - 06/25/10 12:30 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Ditto! Stay strong brother!

#427945 - 06/25/10 05:49 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Right now I'm not seeing it as a big deal. It is on my nose and noticeable but it isn't like cancer that say Brian went through or others. Now if in this next consultation they say that treating it further with PDT isn't worth it and they want to cut it out; I'm not going to like that too much as that will leave a hole in my nose that I would have to wait for skin graphs which would take time. I'll keep you posted.

This all could have been avoided when I was younger and we used sun screen. It was foreign then and in fact we were putting tanning oils on ourselves to get darker. Used to think burning for the first while though uncomfortable was just a part of the process to getting darker. What were we thinking?

#428002 - 06/28/10 10:14 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Dereck,

I hope it works out and doesn't leave a hole in the nose.

I am with ya on tanning or I should say burning as a youth. When I was younger I also thought burning was ok and usually chalked it up as getting darker. It was really bad when I worked construction and would be on the roofs with no shirt on....I can only pray I don't have skin issues as I get older.

#428478 - 07/22/10 12:22 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: JasonM]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Well I went to my next appointment and things are looking really good and the doctor doesn't think we will have to do any evasive surgery. So far I've had 2 PDT treatments to attack the skin cancer cells beneath the skin and yesterday I had a liquid nitrogen treatment on top of the skin. At first is was just cold air and then a little sting with later leaving and it really stinging. The skin was very red and later blistered and may take some time to heal. This treatment was to attack the cancer on the outside. I am to heal and monitor it and to report back in 3 to 6 months. At that time we will determine if any further treatment is needed or to continue with another PDT treatment. Fingers crossed.

On another note, after having taken 3 weeks vacation I am back at weight lifting again. I've got lax over the years in my cardio especially since not martial art training for the last year. I've introduced 20 minutes of intense cardio prior to weight lifting which will help in burning that extra unwanted fat but also act as a warm up prior to my lifting. I worked out Monday, Tuesday and will Thursday and Friday as well. I am finding that later in the night I am tired; very tired which is not usually the case for me. This is resulting in going to bed early; well early for me. I was a 4 hour a night sleeper at best but now I'm finding I need more.

With having had neck problems with crushed vertebrae, I have repeatedly tried squats that always results in problems and pain so I have in the last months adopted the front squat. While obviously one cannot lift the same amount of weights, I am finding this a nice alternative and building on the weight slowly. The only downside I'm finding is the spots I'm resting the bar on results in slight bruising and tenderness but from my research this is very common.

While my goals are still to be "bigger, stronger, faster", even in my 40's, I am now looking at getting leaner. While I have always wanted to weigh 225 lbs, I am realizing that is not something I will obtain and being around 200 lbs with introducing this cardio, I may lose some of this size but even with the loss of some muscle, when leaner I will more then likely still look as big. This is a hard concept for me to get my head around but with time I hope it settles in.

I'm looking towards the future and that future I want to see me into a very old age, an age where I'm still lifting.

Peace out guys.

Page 55 of 67 < 1 2 ... 53 54 55 56 57 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga