FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 44 of 67 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273512 - 01/09/09 12:32 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Ilove2Hit Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
good luck with it.

nice tradition btw..

#273513 - 03/06/09 05:47 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Ilove2Hit]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Workout update:

Time for a change.

workout 1.

4 min rounds on the heavy bag, fixed combo, switch stance and mirror after 2 mins.
Followed immediately by Dip/ pull up / box jump / squat thrusts as a circuit.
60 seconds rest, and repeat.

Round 1. Jab - cross - rear leg round kick

circuit

Round 2. Jab - cross - rear leg front push kick

circuit

Round 3. Jab - cross - lead leg round kick

circuit.

Round 4. Jab - Cross - lead leg push kick

Circuit

Workout 2. 4 sets per exercise, 8-10 reps. Non functional, all about the gun show, so sue me

Squat
Incline Flye
Behind Neck pulldown
Dumbell Push press
Seated Row
Standing dumbell curl

Workout 1. 3-4 times per week

Workout 2. 1 time per week.

Days are dependant on work schedule and how I am feeling.

this is pretty high volume for me, so will be evaluating effect on my joints, but really enjoying my training at the mo' , and with a tattoo show in August that coincides with my 35th birthday, its time to hit middle age in top shape.

#273514 - 03/06/09 09:05 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Good stuff Cord. Was thinking last night and this morning I'm do for a change up as well. After tonight's workout I will start rethinking over the weekend what to do.

#273515 - 03/06/09 10:06 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Gun show, LMAO. Won't be suing you, bro. I used to do the same. The ol' tendons and ligaments can't really stand it any more, though.

Love the bag workout. Gotta get me one again.

#273516 - 03/06/09 01:00 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

and with a tattoo show in August that coincides with my 35th birthday, its time to hit middle age in top shape.

I missed this. Age 35 is middle age; NOT! I'm consider when I hit 50 as being middle aged especially since I'm 40 but don't feel like it.

#273517 - 03/10/09 09:14 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Being looking over a new workout plan and will implement on Wednesday. Will need some fine tuning over the weeks but looks like a promising program.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_7_24/ai_n26979199

This program incorporates much of my own idealism which I think will benefit me. Am looking forward to giving this a go. Will let you know my thoughts as I give it a try.

#273518 - 03/10/09 11:22 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Looks interesting. The only thing I would say is to reign back on the volume of warm up sets - 2-3 should be sufficient, 4-5 and i think you are on the way to diminishing returns and unnecessary joint wear.

The body split is unusual, but not unsound.

i agree with the carb capping PM, and also validating cardio as part of a muscle growth routine.

I may well adapt this myself in 10 weeks time when its time for me to change again.

Let me know how you get on Bro'

#273519 - 03/10/09 01:16 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

I agree totally about the warm-ups Cord and planned on 2-3 as thought it was over doing it. Perhaps if I was juiced it would be okay, and perhaps younger with a better recovery; but at 40 that is way too much for me to handle.

Back in 2002 when I was doing H.I.T. by Robert E. Spector, I had very good results but my results were increased when I incorporated myself a few seconds rest period and then immediately push out a few more reps. By implementing this I found it a sound way for my body to lift more and get bigger and when I looked back at records when I did H.I.T. a second and third time with limited results; this was the only thing I was doing different. Unknowingly I was doing the rest-pause that Dante discusses.

Also I am used to a routine that works an A-B-A for one week and then a B-A-B for the next week. I like this sort of workout so won't be too much of a change for me. Also the workouts I've been doing are one exercise per body part, so again fits into my style of working out. And I have worked programs that cycled different exercises per body part with success; and like this idea. With Dante's minor changes and incorporated things I already know, this I hope will be a smooth transition with good results.

I do plan on increasing my protein and will look to not eat any carbs after 6:00 PM. I will be doing by BJJ on Tuesday and Thursday so getting cardio. However I won't at this time be getting too intense with the nutrition portion. That I will do as results come to fine tune the workout. I already have a fairly decent eating pattern that may only require initial tweaking.

Looking forward to Wednesday.

#273520 - 03/12/09 01:50 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Last night was an EXCELLENT workout. Took me about 1.5 hours due to fine tuning however I really enjoyed it. My chest and arms were still vibrating this morning and sitting at my desk writing and typing I could feel this; still can now.

For my workout last night I did "A1" which was:

CHEST - Decline Bench Press
SHOULDERS - Military Press
TRICEPS - Closed-Grip Bench Press
BACK (Width) - Hammer Strength Underhand Pulldowns
BACK (Thickness) - Bent-Over-Rows

I did 3 warm-up lifts per each followed by the Rest-Pause lift for the final. For the Rest-Pause you are to lift approximately 8 to failure and then breath deeply for 15 breaths, lift 2-4 reps to failure, rest and take another 15 deep breaths and then lift again for 1-2 reps to failure.

When doing the Chest I over did the warm-ups and went to failure which I don't think you are suppose to. I was only able to get 1 lift after my first 15 breaths and I could barely move the bar for the next one. However today I can feel my chest and know I lifted. I was careful on the next lifts not to go to failure on the warm-ups which made a huge difference.

Surprisingly I found I was lifting more weight then normal in my other programs. Perhaps the warm-up required for this system made a difference because I've never warmed up this way. Plus knowing that there is only the one huge lift at the end, I put in as much intensity as I could. This I believe is where and why the growth will happen.

Looking forward to Friday and the B2 lift. Also it will be nice having a A3, B4, A5, B6 lifting days with different exercises. This will really change things up for me and really shock the system.

I have put my BJJ on hold. While I love to grapple I just do not have the focus at this time. I'm finding so many reasons not to go and this tells me that perhaps I need a break. On the other hand I have such a renewed vision for lifting which I really want to focus on. It bothers me that I don't have the focus for BJJ and I know it will disappoint some people, it disappoints me, but it is what it is for now. Plus working out Monday, Wednesday and Friday and then doing BJJ on Tuesday and Thursday; it seemed I never really had a break to sit back and relax. Not to mention BJJ classes I have to come home from work and nibble on something and then head off for class from 6:00 to almost 8:00. Always wished classes were a little bit later.

So will continue to lift and my expectations are big for this especially since I have the focus, the intensity and am finally willing to drop some ego to drop weights knowing that because of this I will see better increases later.

Wish me luck.

#273521 - 03/12/09 03:16 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Dereck, you have my understanding re. the MA/lifting balance. I havent been to savate for ages and I do feel bad about it, and do miss it, but my one true love has always, and will always, be lifting. Its just an integral part of who I am. When you have family, and work, and obligations, sometimes you have to prioritise both time and finances. You have a kick-a$$ gym 30 seconds away from your front room, no fees, no travelling. Its an understandable situation.
Whilst I would never have tried to influence you, as you know your own limits better than most, i do think its good for your cervical spine to have a rest from rolling, and think you will give it a chance to improve and heal as well as it can in this hiatus from your MA.

This in turn, will help your lifting.

I bet after 4 months, you will get the hunger for BJJ again, but go back rested, stronger and healthier.

Keep lifting Bro'

Page 44 of 67 < 1 2 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga