FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Today at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 21 of 67 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273282 - 10/18/06 03:19 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Don't over do things Cord but good for you for keeping your program going.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Did class today as it was black belt training again (every Tuesday night). Got to class early and did the following continuosly without any break:

10 Minutes Stairs
1000 Skips
18 Pull-Ups
75 Push-Ups
100 Crunches

The requirements are 3 Kilometer run, 12 minute stairs, 5 Pull-Ups, 50 Push-Ups, 50 Stand-Ups, 100 Sit-Ups and 1000 Skips. This has to be done repeatedly in class prior to testing as this will be required the morning of the test as well. 3 Kilometer run I've done no problem, 12 minutes stairs I can muster out, Pull-Ups I kill, Push-Ups I kill, I prefer crunches but I may have to do Sit-Ups and 1000 Skips I can also do. Pull-Ups and Push-Ups I can do more of but a little exhausted today and knew I would need strength to do the other stuff so didn't push it too hard. Stand-Ups will be difficult and tiring especially if I do not have a good holder ... a work in progress.

Rest of class worked on the bag for kicks especially the spin return kick, then patterns and then one-steps. Progress going okay just fine tuning.

#273283 - 10/18/06 12:52 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Dereck -

Does your instructor make accomodations for people like myself that can not do pull-ups anymore? Not sure my shoulders could take 75 push-ups, either.

#273284 - 10/19/06 03:25 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Most definitely he does Matt. There are several people who won't be able to do things due to limitation with their bodies and he totally understand that. However for people who are capable but don't want to put the effort in, well that is another story.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - Week 417, Day 1097

Started out with the glider for 10 minutes to get my blood flowing and then did a warm up with 15 x 150 lbs. I was throwing the weight up and catching it ... luckily I didn't miss.

Today I gave Cord's partials for my chest workout a try. I figured about a month ago I did 290 lbs once while it was resting on my safety bars so thought I'd try there ... no luck and couldn't budge it. Then dropped 20 lbs and gave that a try and still no success. I then dropped it to 252 lbs and tried from the rack and was able to do the first one only but keeping the bar straight was extremely hard for the next ones, which I found I was fighting it too much. I needed a spotter to help get me on track but did not have a spotter so I looked in the corner and figured I'd use the NitroFlex collecting dust.

NitroFlex Bench Press (Partials) = 230 lbs = 5/4/4/4/4
Barbell Seated Military Presses = 150 lbs = 5/5/5/5/5
Barbell Upright Rows = 110 lbs = 5/5
One-Armed Kickbacks = 79 lbs (per arm) = 10/10

Now if you been following this your are thinking, 230 lbs on the NitroFlex and you are only doing partials but on the regular Bench you are stuck at 237 lbs for 5x5 ... this doesn't make sense??? Believe it or not if I can bench 250 lbs on the NitroFlex I can bench 300 lbs on a regular Bench Press. I have proved this time and time again so I know it to be true for the unit I have. I actually found the partials difficult especially with the heavy weight and with the NitroFlex you are starting from the bottom.

QUESTION FOR CORD: As I'm doing partials, I am elminating the negative lift that I'd get from a regular bench press. Will I see negative repercutions in the future because of this? And as a note, my bench only has a 45 degree incline so when I tried it was flat, as with the NitroFlex. Also I find for myself, and I hope others do as well, when taking a wider grip on the bar as I did, I actually lift less.

Military Press was a little difficult but got it done though the last set I had to push to get the 5th where as the others I possible could have done 1 more if I really pushed myself. Upright Rows I was pretty tired and was losing form so stopped them. My neck was also starting to hurt so when I got to the Kickbacks I only did 2 sets as my neck said it was time to quit. I did find for my Kickbacks that my triceps were not as tired as they usually were but that is probably due to the Bench Press Partials did not incorporate the triceps like I'm used to thus giving me that extra strength.

The partials I think will take getting used to but I wish I could do them on the regular bench ... any suggestions Cord? The NitroFlex is fine and safe so this is a good option and tomorrow or the next day I will see if my chest starts to hurt (the good hurt) so that I know I pushed it.

Grappling day on Thursday and haven't decided if I will go to the 9:00 AM class and the 7:30 PM class or just the 7:30 PM class. It is 1:29 AM so I will decide how I feel when I get up at 6:30 AM.

#273285 - 10/19/06 05:51 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

QUESTION FOR CORD: As I'm doing partials, I am elminating the negative lift that I'd get from a regular bench press. Will I see negative repercutions in the future because of this?...... The partials I think will take getting used to but I wish I could do them on the regular bench ... any suggestions Cord?

I think we may be at a point of confusion. 'partial' reps refer to the range of motion, not just the positive phase. You still rep up and down just the same as you would a set of full bench press, its just you dont 'travel' as far.
Ever done 'pulses' at the bottom of a set of push ups- when your triceps burn out, but you kind of 'bounce' an extra few little movements for an extra burn on the chest? That 'pulse' inverted is the partial bench press ROM, including both positive and negative phases. You take the bar from the rack as normal, then drop the bar to the chest, and from there you just rep out with the smaller range of motion. You burn out and the catch straps stop you being crushed, then you get out, re- set the bar, rest and repeat.

#273286 - 10/20/06 04:01 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

I think I see what you are saying Cord and I think I'm doing this. Leave it with me and I will give it another go to see if I'm doing it right. Today a little tightness in my chest when I flex them ... and dang my shoulders hurt.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Grappling day. Started out with 5 minutes sprinting the length of the dojang and jogging back and then 5 minutes stairs. Light stretching and then class. Instructor wanted to work one on one with a black belt training for his 2nd Dan so said, "Dereck teach the class grappling today. Start with some basics and then go ahead and feel free to teach some of your newer techniques." I thought I'd be nervous but soon as we divided off I jumped into it.

Started with a basic transition drill where your partner lies on their back with knees up and arms in prayer position. Person on top takes side control while sprawling and ensuring they are putting their weight on their partner. Then they transition to north/south, to side control on the other side, and then transition to top mount. The person on the bottom then bucks, traps and rolls their partner and then applies the violator where you grab the bottom part of the gi in a baseball grip and put your full weight on their stomach. This is followed by a knee to their butt and posting with your other leg and then jamming your elbows into their legs till they open their legs enough for "both" arms to pass through (otherwise you are setting them up for a triangle choke). In this position you use your posted leg to drive with your shoulder their leg to their opposite shoulder thus taking side control again and the drill continuously flows. After we did this for a while and I worked in with every group (6 people total; small class), I taught 3 different finishing moves with 2 of them that Matt had provided in a video and a 3rd I had learned some time ago from a video. I take videos that I think I can learn and then take them to class and work them out with partners, usually Doug who is a second Dan who shares the same ethusiasm that I do. I worked in with all 3 groups to ensure they were understanding each of the techniques correctly and then ended class. I then let allowed for anybody to stay and free roll but nobody could and I was left without a partner to roll.

Afterward Instructor liked what I did and thanked me for helping out as he needed to spend this time with the black belt. Said he overheard a lot of what I said and thought I was on track. Then said it was nice to show the extra techniques but not to show "all" of them and keep a few in the bag. If others have the passion for grappling they will take the same amount of time I do to figure things out and put in the extra training. I agree but also don't mind showing anything especially if it allows one person to "think" or makes anybody better. The better they get the better I will get.

Sorry for rambling, was excited and it I couldn't help but log it here as this is a martial art forum, though this is the Strengthen Forum, but strengthening is a part of who I am and what I do plus this is where this log is. Again apologize for the lengthy post.

#273287 - 10/24/06 12:15 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Friday, October 20, 2006 - Sunday, October 22, 2006

Rest and relaxation; enjoying the last 3 days of my holidays.

Monday, October 23, 2006 - Week 418, Day 1098

Back to the grind but holidays were good for me. This is the first time 2 weeks felt like a month. A little tired to start the workout but got it going with 10 minutes on the glider, some warmups and then 10 x 120 lbs Rear Lat Pulldowns to get the motion and feel for correct form.

Rear Lat Pulldowns = 195 lbs - 6/6/6/6/6
Closed-Grip Lat Pulldowns = 160 lbs = 7/6/6/5/6
Seated Isolated Bicep Curls = 69 lbs Each Arm = 4/5/4
Rear Barbell Shoulder Shrugs = 245 lbs = 9/9/8

Rear Lat Pulldowns increase the reps by 1 per set, excellent. Swapped out the Bent-Over Rows and am trying the Closed-Grip Lat Pulldowns. The Rows incorporated the Middle Back with the Lower Back and Biceps as secondary muscles. The CGLP incorporates the Middle Back and the Biceps as the secondary muscle. I figure I'd give this a try as with the Deadlifts I still get the lower back work but we will see how this goes, a work in progress. Bicep Curls I did not fair as well as they were really drained and I believe due to pushing them on the first exercise and the second really incorporates them quite a bit eventhough I really focused on the back being worked. Shrugs went up 5 lbs and my reps did not suffer and will probably up again. I had to set the bar down on each lift as my grip is really sucking but the muscles had not been worked enough so pushed for a second try on each after I grabbed on to the bar again.

Just getting back into the grind off of holidays, having Monday Night Football on in the background as a distraction, and some other things going on probably took away from my workout a bit but not too bad.

Tuesday is Black Belt training class and will probably be doing sparring and then Wednesday is grappling day. Thursday is Leg day.

#273288 - 10/25/06 02:02 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Tuesday, October 24, 2005

Went to class and they split the class in to black belts/black stripes and then colored belts. I opted to join the colored belts as they were sparring and I needed this more then my other black belt training. Wicked warm up all to do with kicking wave masters that I thought I was going to cough up a lung. 3 x 2 minute sparring matches and then I stayed late and did 1 x 3 minute match and a 1 x 1 minute match ... I was dead tired. Boy do I have a lot to work on, I suppose skipping sparring classes was not a good thing over the last year but oh well, learn from our mistakes.

I had felt ill about 10:00 AM at work but worked through it. Got home and took a Vitamin C pill, had supper and then headed to class. Wasn't a 100% but not horribly either but after done and home I realized I must have sprained my wrist and this morning my butt/hamstring is sore ... but I knew this would happen eventhough I stretched thoroughly before class.

A little run down today (Wednesday) but I can't miss grappling night tonight so will buck up and go to class.

#273289 - 10/25/06 09:57 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Diabolic Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Holy damn freaking smokes! I just left when you guys started this, I love how this thread is packed full of information and progress. Keep up the good work guys, I look forward to following this thread.

#273290 - 10/26/06 01:06 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Diabolic]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Day started out with 10 high knees, 10 skipping knees, 10 V-Ups, 10 Leap Frogs, 10 Skiers and 10 Push-Ups. When done it was your partner's turn and you both had to do it 3 times. Like always I push hard on these.

Grappling day and started with some basic stand up skills, clinching and then takedowns. In the closing of the class I hooked up with my Instructor and I was swept to my bad knee and my knee is now done again. I knew that this was always a possiblity having a torn ACL so I accept this. Class ended and I stayed to grappler still but we started on our knees. Learned some good stuff grappling with my Instructor and then afterwards we talked a bit and I headed home for some Ibeprofin and to wrap my leg in an ice pack. I never swell normally but the ice is till good for it. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation (R.I.C.E.).

However now with this knee further injuried, and it hurts to put any weight on it ... I'll be off of Deadlifts for a while or any leg exercises for a while. Probably sparring yesterday did not help. Dang it.

#273291 - 10/27/06 01:56 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thursday, October 26, 2006 - Week 418, Day 1099

Being all banged up and bruised I was going to lay back and relax but I couldn't so I figured I'd workout anyways. Literally bruises on my face and arms plus a nice lump on my noise from an elbow last night. Knee killing me and can't put all of my weight on it plus still feeling the effects of the sprained wrist and hamstring/butt ... but nothing was going to stop me.

Light stretch and then 12 x 120 lbs for the Bench Press just to get a better stretch and the feel for the correct technique.

Barbell Bench Press = 237 lbs = 6/6
Bench Press Partials = 230 NitroFlex = 4/4/4
Seated Barbell Military Press = 150 lbs = 5/5/5/5/5
Kickbacks = 79 lbs (per arm) = 10/10/10

I thought before I did the partials that I'd just give it a go to see what I did have and I was pleasantly surprised that I could do 1 more rep per set then the last time. I then hit the partials. Military Press was okay but the last one I had to put my all in it to get the last one ... nothing in reserve. Skipped the Upright Rows for time and because my shoulders were tired. Kickbacks were okay but since I do these bentover with one leg forward and one back, I could feel the pressure on my left knee when doing the left side so had to modify my stance so I did not feel any pain.

Glad I worked out but now afterwards of sitting back and watching Supernatural, Survivor and Ultimate Fighter 4 ... my neck is sore but that is probably from yesterday as well for all of the clinch work, not to mention my own neck problems. All manageable for now.

Class tomorrow so not sure going or not. There is a TKD Sparring interclub tournament going on tomorrow so the Instructor will not be there as will some of the students. People will show up and our 2nd Dan Doug will probably teach class. If I go possibly with us both we could have another grappling day if we both agree to teach. Otherwise I'm good for nothing as I can't kick nor run but lie on the ground and roll I can ... or I will if I can.

Page 21 of 67 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga