FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 9 of 67 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273162 - 08/22/06 06:33 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Hi Derick.

Good bicep strength you still have and even stronger that you did have.

I know what you mean. I have also been shooting for the moon and wanted to get back some where near what i use to do
Im 53 years old now and had a short lay off(bad move)

In some lifts it is working.

Todays workout.

Forget hill running. Achilles tendons are sore so on with a pair of boots and did(after a warm up) 10 by 50 metre sprints.
Should have been 10 by 100 metre sprints but my ankles
were sore. Didnt seem to do any further damage so fine.

Heavy Bag work , bare knuckle punches, shin kicks, elbows,
knees.Lots of them.

Weights
warm up
then two 145 lbs dumbells used for dumbell bench press nice
smooth and deep 6 reps
then straight on to 120 llbs again 6 reps
then 100 lbs as many as possable
then finish off with 80 lbs again as many as possable.

Straight on to lat pull down nice weigth that allows for 12 to 15 reps

Straight on to bicep curl ditto

have a breather before repeating for 3 giant sets

Thats it for today. Eating plenty for tommorow.

I hate the constant lactic acid build up I get nowadays
Takes ages to remove the next day.
Any foods come to mind??

#273163 - 08/23/06 05:50 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Well, me, grumbleweed and a whole sh1tload of DOMS steggered into the gym regardless today. G-weed asked me if it was a good idea to train in this state, to which I honestly replied 'no way', but that i didnt care

Leg press: worked up to 8 reps with 220kg today, 270 was never going to happen, especially as just to sit down for the first set was agony. God knows what my legs will feel like tomorrow

Flat bench next: Dropped the cybex machine and went for good ol' dependable smith machine. worked up to 105kg (231lbs) for 4 reps. I am actually very pleased with that. Its been a long time since I benched, and i am lighter than i have been for some years (95kg) and was never a huge bencher anyway (we all have our weaknesses), so this was better than i expected. Will probably stick with 100kg in the future and work up the reps for a while.

Next was seated row. I had to try it- worked up to a 1 rep max with the stack (290lbs)- not great form, just macho BS, so now its out of my system will probably stick around 240 for some growth reps

Finished with dumbell shoulder press- the 66lbers again, best was 8 reps today. i can live with that after the bench work.

Tomorrow is rest day, then friday we are going to do some gym based HIIT- if our legs are working by then

Edited by Cord (08/23/06 05:54 PM)

#273164 - 08/23/06 05:58 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
A glutton for punishment, eh Cord?

Macho BS ... no way man, you had to show what the big dog could do to humble the litter. Now that they will fall in line you can get after those growth reps.

#273165 - 08/23/06 06:17 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Macho BS ... no way man, you had to show what the big dog could do to humble the litter.

There was just me, GW, and one woman running herself into a pool of sweat on a treadmill in there at the time- some litter . Should point out that GW managed 3 reps with the 220kg, and got to grips with standing shoulder press technique (only 2nd workout he has ever done it). That is a bigger achievement than me stacking a back machine. The boy done good
We rare going to stick with the main gym for a couple more weeks, then sign up for the compulsory induction to get in the power rack room- should be fun

#273166 - 08/24/06 12:54 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Taekwondo class tonight. Good workout in the beginning with one set of the group doing 20 skiers, 20 push ups and 20 sit ups (then repeat) and the others running stairs. Each for 6 minutes each and then water and stretching as a group. Each person then was responsible for teaching part of the class and I was the first with punching drills.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - Week 410, Day 1085

First and foremost, today is my 20th year with my wife. Not married but when we first started seriously dating. Still going good.

Had plans to go say good bye to one of the guys at class tonight so had to workout when I got home. Half an hour prior to working out I took my protein shake (& some chocolate chip cookies ) and sat back giving myself time to digest. Started to get very tired so when my half an hour was up I hit the glider for a quick warm up and to get my body moving.

Barbell Deadlifts = 330 lbs = 5/5/5
Barbell Deadlifts = 350 lbs = 1
Barbell Deadlifts = 365 lbs = 1
Seated Calve Raises = 250 lbs = 10/10/10
Barbell Rear Shoulder Shrugs = 240 lbs = 8/6/5

Before starting I felt something in my lower back and gave it a little attention when warming up figuring it was just a little stiffness from my workout 2 days ago with Bent-Over-Rows and stuff. Did my first 3 Deadlifts with 10 extra pounds. It felt pretty tough but I thought I could do more so I pulled a Cord and threw on 20 extra pounds. I think I could have got another rep or so out of it but I felt a twinge in my left knee (torn ACL) so stopped. I waited a few moments and made sure my knee was feeling okay and then double checked my back. I did some body weight Deadlifts to make sure that I got the right motion and good form and then threw on 15 more lbs and gave it a try. Also again I think I could have done another but this time I knew for sure my knee would not take it and stopped. Matt, look out I'm coming for your record.

Seated Calve Raises I held for 10 seconds for the first 8 of the 10, 10 seconds for the first 7 of the 10 and 10 seconds for 7 for the last 10.

Rear Shoulder Shrugs I went up 10 lbs from the last time I did it and still got 8 reps on my first one. Lifting 240 lbs seemed so easy after lifting 365 lbs. As my hands were pretty worn and knarled from the Deadlifts, it was hard to hold on to the bar and I had to set it down for a fraction of a second every once in a while to finish the lifts. Don't think I will add this to my leg day again I just wanted to get them done as I missed them the other workout day.

Finished with a shower, BBQ steak and a glass of milk ... and some chocolate chip cookies.

Tomorrow class again. Instructors coming over to watch Ultimate Fighter 4 series and then on Saturday people over from class to watch the UFC fight.

#273167 - 08/24/06 02:45 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

congrates on the 20year milestone, in this day and age it is nice to hear about a relationship that is making the long haul

Some great lifts there as I was reading the workout I thought 'shrugs after that! his grip must be killing him!' so was not suprised by the tap downs. No probs- whatever it takes to get the reps, providing the technique of those reps is good, IMO- its no different to that pause we all take before the last couple of squats (you all know you do it )to make sure we get them.

365 for deads is a very respectable weight- just keep watching that knee, and I am sure 385 will not be far off

#273168 - 08/25/06 09:31 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Friday

well, me and GW were on nights last night, we were still aching from the weeks exertions, and come round to 7am tired from a 10 hour shift- what better time to go do some exercise!?

We were waiting on the doorstep for the gym to open, and went straight up to the free area upstairs. Here they have a dip/chin station, swiss and medicine balls,light dumbells, and a heavy bag (did I remember my gloves- no of course not ).

we did a very simple circuit of medicine ball crunches, to bodyweight squats, to dips, to wide chins to static lateral holds. Did four rotations of this, then down into the main gym for 1 mile (1600m) intervals on the ergo rowers- 300m all out sprint, 100m recovery. I hadnt used a rower for years and had forgotten just how evil the oxygen debt is when you hit them hard- superb.

that was it. short and sweet, then home for a protein shake breakfast and some much needed sleep.

#273169 - 08/25/06 11:30 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Back was slightly sore when got up in morning but as I moved around it got a little better. After work still a little sore and knowing I had to go to class I took 2x400 mg extra strength ibuprofen.

Class started out with a warm up of sprints to the middle of the gym with 10 monkey jumps, sprint to the end of the gym and do 10 clapping push ups and then run all of the way back to do 10 crunches. This was done for a circuit of 8. After my first circuit my Instructor put a medicine ball at the end for me as the clapping push ups were too easy. He wanted me to have one hand on the floor and one on the ball and alternate for 10. As he said, if something is easy then you need to challenge yourself. Fortunate enough I found these just as easy so now I will see next time what he has in store for me. By the time I did my 8, my stomach muscles were extremely tight and I could taste my supper ... shouldn't eat that close to class.

I led warm ups/stretching and then we got into "C-Day" which we did fundimentals such as punches, blocks, strikes, kicks, etc. After that we did some forms of the colored belts to see where they were at as they have a test coming up. I was asked to take aside a red belt to go over their pattern. I was then called up to do Koryo with the black belts and then went back to helping the red belt. Then to finish off class we went over a kick pattern that requires movement around your partners body that includes roundhouse, front kicks, side kicks, knee strikes, shin to floating ribs/kidneys, etc. It is only a pattern but gives you a good understanding what you can do in close quarters and makes you think. Of course there is no possible way you could do all of these on a resisting opponent but our Instructor always gives you many options and then shows you "when" you could use one or more. The best way I can explain this is like the Karate Kid. He sanded the floor, painted the fence, etc. He did not understand these until he was shown. For many students it will be nothing but a pattern but for those individuals that ask and understand it, it can become very practical. Then my Instructors and I headed over to my house to watch the Ultimate Fighter 4 series.

Have plans to workout out on my PUSH day today but are expecting company to see our renovations and deck so may not get to it. I will post pics hopefully this weekend.

NOTE: Back started feeling great during class warmups as I gave it a good stretch. This morning feel 95%.

#273170 - 08/25/06 01:14 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
grumbleweed Offline

What took me 20 minutes this morning to cycle to work took me 28 minutes going home after that carry on!Ö.Had the usual Cord breakfast shake then bed. My achy shoulder woke me up at 2pm feeling quite uncomfortable so popped a few anadins, ok now, but I fear it will return soon. The postman just delivered my cod liver oil pills to complement my zealous diet regime. On waking up had a carton of apple juice, a hand full of almonds followed but two big bowls of pasta, corn, tuna and kidney beans (sounds almost like Jesseís diet! ), even got the wee one to eat but had to fish out the kidney beans lol Ö..later Iíll tuck into half punit of strawberries, banana, whey and skimmed milk drinky. Have a ten mile cycle route in mind for the journey to work, also in mind is that chocolate conversation we had last night and it hasnít left me so Iíve decided, a bar of fruit and nut is the order of the night. Iím sure the next torture session on Tuesday will off set this. Yes, I do believe Iím obsessed lol!

#273171 - 08/25/06 04:13 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Have plans to workout out on my PUSH day today but are expecting company to see our renovations and deck so may not get to it. I will post pics hopefully this weekend.

Only 2:08 and still at work and am already thinking I won't work out. I did not get any sleep last night and have been up 31 hours already. Tonight I would be even more tired but I think I could find the energy but I would be cheating myself as I would not be doing it full out. 75% says I won't do it tonight and will use friends coming over to probably eliminate the last 25%.

Sleep, this has always been a hinderance for myself and it makes me wonder if I could actually sleep what my recuperation would be. This and eating as for the last 6+ months, maybe longer, I have not really wanted to eat too much and have to force myself a lot of times. I still eat at least 5 meals a day but even those have dropped from what I used to eat. Gaining weight for me is extremely hard and I'm always trying to fight to keep it. Just a couple of days ago I weighted myself at 192 and then again yesterday at 188 again. I try to weight myself at the same time of day so as to have a constant. Nice thing is that I've increased in strength and my body fat is slowly going and haven't looked this trim in a long time. Pants fit looser but I'd still like to get bigger, the right way, so I also question what I could be with an appetite.

So food and sleeping are two of my hinderances. I may not be able to sleep but I do rest from time to time even if I can't sleep. If I'm not moving that is good but sleep would be nice too.

Page 9 of 67 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga