FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 18 of 67 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273252 - 10/06/06 01:57 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Thursday, October 5, 2006

Class was good and have some new people. Worked on patterns in the beginning of class and then myself and another were put through the paces by our Instructor to prepare us for black belt testing. Final part of class was working on the clinch technique and taking your partner to the ground by rocking back and forth. I worked with one of the new people. Good young fellow who really enjoyed it and has great ethusiasim.

DERECK'S REQUEST:

Okay I'm up for suggestions. Need to work the chest more to get the bench press up but not sure what to do. The shoulders are not where I want them but with the rest I've had the weight has increased. Triceps I would say are doing well and have never failed me. The chest I believe is holding me back and the Bench Press does not seem to be doing me any favors. What to do for an exercise?

I was going to use dumbbells instead but I've now realize through some trialing that I'll be holding 100 lbs per arm and with fatigue and working out by myself this scares me a little. Years ago I wouldn't think twice and I did do them without any fear, but now being older, not as strong, sorer and wiser ... I'm a little hesitant to do these. My bench can be adjusted from flat to decline to incline. I have a second bench that can do the same. I also have a peck deck that you add free weights to it but this is still a machine. I also have in the corner the NitroFlex machine that I use for warming up and some odd exercises. So many possibilities I am just at a point to take suggestions. I want the chest to get stronger. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

#273253 - 10/06/06 03:19 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

DERECK'S REQUEST:

Okay I'm up for suggestions. Need to work the chest more to get the bench press up but not sure what to do. The shoulders are not where I want them but with the rest I've had the weight has increased. Triceps I would say are doing well and have never failed me. The chest I believe is holding me back and the Bench Press does not seem to be doing me any favors. What to do for an exercise?

I was going to use dumbbells instead but I've now realize through some trialing that I'll be holding 100 lbs per arm and with fatigue and working out by myself this scares me a little. Years ago I wouldn't think twice and I did do them without any fear, but now being older, not as strong, sorer and wiser ... I'm a little hesitant to do these. My bench can be adjusted from flat to decline to incline. I have a second bench that can do the same. I also have a peck deck that you add free weights to it but this is still a machine. I also have in the corner the NitroFlex machine that I use for warming up and some odd exercises. So many possibilities I am just at a point to take suggestions. I want the chest to get stronger. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

For most people, I would recommend switching to close grip work as triceps are normaly the 'weakest link' in the pressing movement. Thats not the case with you however.

Providing you still have the safety catchers, I would switch to doing heavy partials for a cycle.

For these, you are doing to do flat or slight incline bench(30 degree max) and take a grip about 1-2 inches wider with each hand than you would for your 'normal' press.
Set the catchers for as close to the chest as possible, and with a heavy bar, work a range of motion from touching the chest (or catchers) and press up only about 6-8 inches during your reps. You will need to go heavy and work at around 4-6 reps.
When you 'burn out' you can either finish with a full press and rack the bar, or, if feeling in need of punishment, let it rest on the catchers, and start all remaining sets from the low end, with no stretch reflex to kick up the first rep, just pure positive contraction.
You will find that this engages the arms very little, but your chest will burn like hell.

Try this for 8 weeks, and when you return to full press, you should find you can get past your current sticking point.

#273254 - 10/06/06 04:17 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

This is exactly what I was looking for, something I've never tried so is fresh and gives me hope. I will set this up with some light weights this weekend to get an idea of how it will work. I may PM you to get more info if I'm at a loss for totally understanding. Thanks greatly Cord.

#273255 - 10/07/06 12:32 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

You wont be thanking me the day after the first workout- has a tendency to give a little DOMS to the pecs

#273256 - 10/07/06 09:53 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Instead of PM'ing you Cord, I thought I'd ask the questions here so others may learn as well. Here are my questions:

1. Is it better to have the slight incline or will that not make a difference?

2. For myself I may work my chest once every week but sometimes it won't be for 2 weeks. With that said is the 8 week program still viable or should it be longer?

3. Do I still stick with the 5 set rule or do I change this up for 3 sets or perhaps more?

4. 6 to 8 inches from my chest, doesn't seem like much and doesn't engage the arm a lot, I'm assuming this is correct as the chest is the target, correct?

Otherwise I am excited to do this. I will find the right weight to do this at and give it my all. This partial is sort of what I've explained I did before at night where I would but a certain weight on the bench supports and crawl under and just lift. In the beginning I couldn't move that weight at all. Then a different night a little, another night a little more until I could lift that weight. When I was only body building (mentality that is), I used this to get over my hump and into the 300+ lb range. I can see this exercise has some similarities and again look forward to delving into this full speed. Thanks again Cord.

#273257 - 10/07/06 03:14 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

answers in order.

1. which ever you prefer
2. make it 12 week
3. keep to the same set and rep range as you do for your regular bench, just the movement and weight differ
4. Correct. The idea is to work the lowest point through to mid range of the press. This is where you tend to hit your 'sticking' point on heavy presses. Work with full focus on this ROM and you get strong. it works with overhead press as well- pressing till the bar is just at head height with a comparatively heavier weight for reps.
Full ROM is always technicaly the best overall in the long term, but partials in moderation and as a tool to get over sticking points are very effective short term 'boosters'

Hope you enjoy them, and that you find them effective

#273258 - 10/07/06 07:55 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thanks ... you will see my progress here.

#273259 - 10/09/06 04:11 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Saturday
Rest

Sunday

Machine leg press 12x370lbs, 3x5 430lbs
Seated chest press 15x200lbs 5,5,4 220lbs
Seated row 12x190lbs, 5,5 230lbs 3x240lbs
Machine shoulder press 12x90lbs 6,5 110lbs 3x115lbs
Weighted crunches 2x10 55lb dumbell held against forhead

Trained with Grumbleweed for the first time in ages. there is something of a strength difference between us, so the machine workout was less hassle than loading/unloading plates every set, and at the end of a 12 hour shift, time efficiency becomes a factor.

#273260 - 10/09/06 04:33 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
grumbleweed Offline

That was a fun workout mate!

#273261 - 10/10/06 01:34 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Friday, October 6, 2006

Worked, went to supper at my wife's friend's house to celebrate her quiting of her job and getting a new one and relaxing. Also started my holidays so will be off 16 days.

Saturday, October 7, 2006

Another rest day. That night went to see a friend and training partner who just came back for Thanksgiving from the Canadian Airforce; he just finished "Hell Month".

Sunday, October 8, 2006

Another rest day. Had Thanksgiving dinner at my wife's partent's house. Went to friends house that night and had a couple of drinks and kicked back.

Monday, October 9, 2006

Stat holiday in Canada for Thanksgiving and another rest day for me. My Instructor, two friends and I took off for a cruise on our sport bikes ... what a blast especially when we traded bikes. Meant to work out today but did not happen ... tomorrow workout and do class.

Page 18 of 67 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga