FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 14 of 67 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273212 - 09/13/06 02:24 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Showed up for class early to do extra stretching. Once stretched well enough I continued with some dynamic stretches for kicking, such as the ones I've taken from Thomas Kurz's book "Stretching Scientifically". I used to do these last year in the mornings but got out of it and usually only do prior to some classes. Then I did 200 quick skips with the rope and then class started.

Class started with a light jog around the gym and then we went into 3 each 5 minute stations. 5 Minutes running from one end of the gym and jogging back, 5 minutes skipping rope and then 5 minutes running stairs. I should mention the building we are in is 2 stories and we are in the basement. The set up of the stairs has 4 sets of stairs and counting the bottom where you start there is 5 landings. I then lead stretching and we suited up afterwards.

Sparring started with drills which I found a little difficult to pull off as I haven't sparred for too much. After the drills we put on our head gear and sparred each other. After class I stayed late to work some things out with one of the other guys as I need all of the practice I can get. Will need to work on this more.

Tomorrow is Grappling day and am looking forward to this.

#273213 - 09/13/06 09:32 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Al_Fernz Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hey Dereck,

What did you think of Kurz's book and routine? Did you notice any differences in your kicking height? And would you recommend it for someone looking to improve their kicking abilty for multiple high kicks (the ones used in semi-contact).

#273214 - 09/13/06 11:14 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Great job with those deadlifts, Dereck. I did see this however:

Quote:

Thanks for the tips Cord. My plans are to add 10 lbs so I will do 3 or 4 sets of 5 of 350 lbs and then attempt the 400 lbs

Pardon me for saying, but that seems like a bit too much to do before a max-weight lift. When I did mine, I just did one or two very light warm-up sets. But then we all know I am a little girlie-man.

Good luck!

#273215 - 09/13/06 11:42 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Al_Fernz]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Hey Dereck,

What did you think of Kurz's book and routine? Did you notice any differences in your kicking height? And would you recommend it for someone looking to improve their kicking abilty for multiple high kicks (the ones used in semi-contact).

I found Kurz's book a little over whelming to be honest. He had a lot of good stuff in it but my brain could not get around a lot of it. However I did implement the Dynamic Stretching he suggested and I used to do this every morning when I woke up as well as before class started. This was kicking drills and I did see a vast improvement in my kicking height over time that I have management to keep eventhough I have not done this as much as possible and normally only before those classes I believe I will need it. And believe it or not I have found that since I have been doing Deadlifts that my kicking has also improved for height, speed and power. This may also have to do with that I am more relaxed which is a big thing.

I've never been that flexible and always struggled with this. As a youth I was never able to touch my toes and still have troubles doing so. I cannot do the splits sideway or forward. I can however kick usually chest height now with no problems and recently have been kicking higher. Class last week I actually had to control my kicks from going higher for some drills and last night during sparring after class trying to work on some techniques, on some double kicks I nearly took my partners head off. The momentum of the double took me that much higher but I was impressed and so was my partner.

All and all things are coming around nice for kicks, though I struggle with a hamstring/butt problem that I have to stretch thoroughly before class and afterwards. Without stretching I would be tearing apart your knees and groin ... but in real encounters, that works just fine for me.

#273216 - 09/13/06 11:48 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Great job with those deadlifts, Dereck. I did see this however:

Quote:

Thanks for the tips Cord. My plans are to add 10 lbs so I will do 3 or 4 sets of 5 of 350 lbs and then attempt the 400 lbs

Pardon me for saying, but that seems like a bit too much to do before a max-weight lift. When I did mine, I just did one or two very light warm-up sets. But then we all know I am a little girlie-man.

Good luck!

Actually Matt, I never thought of this and now I am questioning my thinking process. If I attempt this and succeed this would then lead me to believe I could lift more ... hmmm. I may rethink this and do my body weight lifts to get the form correct, then do some light to warm up and then attempt this; then finish with my 350's. I'll give this more thought, thanks.

#273217 - 09/14/06 12:37 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Absolutely drained while typing this. Showed up for class at about 7:10 to get my stretching done so when class started at 7:30 I would be more then ready. Class started working with a partner doing belt pulls with pumping knees there and back, pushing your partner there and back while pumping your knees, partner holds one foot and you jump 3 small jumps and one large jump and work your way across the gym and then switch legs and come back and then finally partner holds foot and you high jump all of the way across the gym, switch legs and come all of the way back; switch roles. Then into light stretching and then into training.

First training was locking up with your opponent to grapevine their leg for the take down and then control on the ground. No kicking allowed but open hand strikes were (with control) and light ground and pound. Then this went into clinching up followed by knees and then pulling them forward to the ground and trying to maintain balance, sinking your weight and trying to work into back position, all the while allowing light ground and pound. Then we switched up with different partners going a little bit harder but not enough to injure anybody. Had to work with 2 women which I found a little uncomfortable but like one of them said, I have to work with you as well ... so all was good. We ended up doing about 5 matches and then class ended and I stayed late to continue to grapple with others who also stayed late.

Doug and I work a lot together and really push each other. Our ground and pound it a little harder especially to the ribs but we know how far we can push each other. I may out weight him by 40 lbs but he is very technical and has great endurance so we match up well. Pooped I was asked to train with another guy who was fresh but this is the best time to do it when you are tired as you need to use more technical skills. He immediately went for the double leg shoot and I sprawled out. He was on all fours and I immediately shot my arm underneath applying a choke, similar to the RNC but on top, twisted him to the side and choked him out with the Anaconda. I went a little too fast and explosive and choked him out and cranked his neck. I had not meant to do this but this was the end of the fight for us and he packed it in. I apologized twice and felt really bad; I should have used more control.

Doug and I then hooked back up and rolled for 2 each 10 minute rounds. My ribs and his took a little beating plus we started to play dirty as he stuck his thumb underneath my neck making it difficult to break. I grinded my middle knuckles into his solar plex and ribs, not to mention my chin. While on top I was able to clinch his head to smother him against my chest to make him tap. He later had me in a position where my head was pulled down into his stomach and I had a hard time breathing and was about to tap when I mustered up the last of my strength and drove move of my knuckles into his outside abs and drove upwards like an upside down benchpress or a pushup making him release. We were tired, drained and sore and we kept going unti just before 9:00 when we were the last left. My face has so much floor burns I am going to look so pretty tomorrow at work, I can't wait for all of the questions. Neck is a little sore ... heck it is a lot sore ... but I'll recover.

Great night but again feel bad for the choke and need to work more on control with some people. Maybe I got a little excited as I was able to sink the move in fast ... which is no excuse and I will learn. Don't want to get a bad rep for taking advantage of people. Tomorrow is target sparring and breaking techniques ... or whatever our Instructor throws at us.

#273218 - 09/15/06 01:33 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Body sore and drained. All bruised up from yesterday. I went to class and shouldn't have and found the class difficult. We did basic kicks up and down the gym which I found extremely hard as my body was done for. Neck is sore and will take time to heal. Actually love all of the bruises I have included the floor burns over my eyes and head, not to mention the bruising on my chin from ground and pound. Wore these at work like a badge. Will try to gain some strength as tomorrow I have plans to lift big. Actually, I will play that by ear but I want to do it so much that I can taste it.

#273219 - 09/15/06 12:27 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Friday, September 15, 2006

OUCH, my neck is killing me. Creaky Old Mod Thread ... yup, that is me right now. All the muscles in my body are feeling it even more so today. The three days of training have taken their toll on my body. With my neck this way and my sore body, I am going to listen to it and hold off on my Leg Day (Deadlifts ). Thankfully I will recover in a few days with only some minor neck pains that I can live with and I'll be lifting then.

#273220 - 09/15/06 12:27 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Wednesday

Xbox360, pizza and M&M's- exhausting

Thursday

5 mile bike ride, 6x3 minute rounds on the heavy bag

Friday

Leg press 200kg x 14, 250kg x 8,5 270kg x 4
Smith Bench Press 85kg x 14, 100kg x 8,6 110kg x 4
Seated Row 190lbs x 14, 210lbs x 7,5 230lbs x 4
Dumbell overhead press 30kg dumbells 8,5,4,4
Shrugs 200lbs 11,9,9,9

happy with today as the weights seem to be creeping up here and there.

#273221 - 09/17/06 12:29 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Saturday

10x2 minute rounds on the heavy bag

3x2 minute rounds of ballistic med ball throw crunches

3x200m sprint on the ergo rower.

I intended to just do my usual 6 rounds, but I was having so much fun, and felt really sharp so kept going. one of those workouts that you finish feeling strangely fresh in yourself, but your clothes couldnt be more soaked if you had just jumped in a swimming pool.

Sunday

Should have rested, but didnt want to. Compromise was a machine only heavy pyramid workout for fun.

Leg Press Machine 330lbs x15, 370lbs x7, 400lbs x5,5
Seated chest press 170lbs x16, 200lbs x 8, 210lbs x5, 230lbs x 3
Seated Row 190lbs x14, 210lbs x7,5, 230lbs x4
Shoulder press machine 120lbs 8,6,5,5

This was a lot of fun

Page 14 of 67 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga