FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 67 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273112 - 07/28/06 11:09 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Thursday, July 27, 2006

Martial arts class tonight. Showed up around 7:00 and started my stretching, skipping rope and finished off with Koryo pattern before class started.

Quick full body stretching into 30 pushup with a partner, 15 supermans, and an exercise where you are on your back and grasp your partner's ankles while raising our legs up to their head at which they push your legs aways to the side or straight back; for 15. Then 10 high knees, 10 skipping knees, 10 V-ups, 10 leap frogs over your partner, 10 skiers over your partner and 10 clapping push up; repeat 3 times. Then it was time for class, grappling day.

I won't get into detail as this is not the Grappling Forum, though this excites me like weight lifting does. Worked on different techniques when you have your partner in guard. Things are controlled and light as you are working through technique. Received instruction for 25 minutes and then it was free rolling time for the last 15-20 minutes of class. Afterwards we are able to stay and keep rolling so I stayed for another 1/2 hour (finished at 9:00) and was the last to leave ... nobody else wanted to keep rolling. Barely used any strength, mainly technique. Wasn't once out of breath and could have kept going. Passed some things on to some of my training partners to help them out and when leaving class receive a few compliments from fellow students and my Instructor. Talked a bit with my Instructor and some students as we were leaving for a short while and then I drove home on my sport bike still riding a high.

Plan to work on PULL day Friday (today) but am also expecting 4 yards top soil to re-grade my backyard that I will have to wheel-barrel into my back yard which will also be a workout. Then drill holes for the posts for the deck, cement them in and then hopefully start the deck Saturday ... all weather permitting.

#273113 - 07/28/06 11:14 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

an exercise where you are on your back and grasp your partner's ankles while raising our legs up to their head at which they push your legs aways to the side or straight back

I've heard those called brazilian crunches. I have no idea why, but it's a shorter description.

Sounds like your grappling is improving quite well, D, keep it up. A couple more months and we'll have to match you up with JKogas.

#273114 - 07/29/06 12:46 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: JoelM]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Friday, July 28, 2006 - Week 406, Day 1078

Seated Rear Lat Pull Downs = 180 lbs = 7/6/7/6/6
Barbell Bent-Over Rows = 205 lbs = 6/5/5/5/6
Dumbbell Seated Concentration Curls = 64 lbs (per arm) = 4/4/4/4*/3
Barbell Rear Shoulder Shrugs = 205 lbs = 8/8/8

Went up 5 lbs on the Rear Lat Pulldowns and Bent-Over Rows. Not only was the weight heavier but did well on the reps as well. Rear Lat Pulldowns I may add another 5 lbs next workout. Stuck with the 64 lbs per arm though did not get the 5 reps. The (*) stands for "assisted" as I had trouble getting it up for the last rep without a little help from my other hand. Wish I had smaller increments the 2.5 lbs so that I could have between 59 lbs and 64 lbs to keep it at the 5 reps ... will take some thinking but I may be able to figure something out. Also added shrugs though I will need to use more weight next time.

Before beginning my workout I did some light stretches. Sometimes before a workout I will do a light set of some of the exercises so that I can get the muscle memory of what I am to do; this I did with the Lat Pulldowns. The shoulders were aching slightly so put on some heat rub and was good to go.

Knowing that with the back work the biceps would be worked hard and by the time I got to the bicep curls they would be exhausted, I thought I'd see what I could do with the biceps. 64 lbs were good so I looked over at the 79 lbs dumbbell sitting there from my Kickback workout the days before. I knew this would be too much so I added 5 lbs to the 64 dumbbell bring it to 69 lbs and pulled off two reps; not bad.

DERECK'S TIP OF THE DAY: When lifting stay in the moment and keep your concentration on your lift and keep the momentum going.

What I find too many times is that I will lose focus or shift or regrip or something and that last rep(s) I cannot get out. The reason is I lost the momentum of the lift. That little pause can kill a lift so stay in the moment and focus.

#273115 - 08/02/06 02:24 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Monday, July 31, 2006

Martial arts training. Arrived early and we headed off for a 5 km (3.106 mile) run. We did a couple of intervals on a nearby track running 400 meters once forward, 200 meters backwards and finished off with the last 200 meters forwards again.

My calves burned but now it was class time and thankfully it was "C-Day" and was fundimental movements and then I was given time after class to practice the Koryo pattern.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 - Week 406, Day 1079

Very tired coming home from work. Having problems with my eyes again. Came home and my buddy was waiting for me to start the deck again as we are behind due to all of the rain. I was hoping to rest but instead I'm back at the deck. So from 5:00 to 9:00 I do the deck stopping only for a small supper that my wife made for us. We made a little head way and will be back at it Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and probably Monday.

Tired but still did my workout. 15 minutes on the glider to warm up the body and then time for the workout.

Barbell Deadlifts = 320 lbs = 5/6/5/5/5
Seated Calve Raises = 250 lbs = 10/10/10 (hold between each 5 seconds)

Went up 10 lbs on the Deadlift and am just right on that, however on the last set I think I started to lose my form as I felt more emphasis on my back. The knee was bothering me before I started but not too bad while doing it. Very exhausted and probably wasn't a good idea to workout but I grapple tomorrow and the deck thing so I have to get in as much as possible.

To tired to do anything really else but did calves and called it a night. Just finished watch the Contender and now it is off to bed.

#273116 - 08/02/06 12:20 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

As a note, finally I can feel the tightness in my legs from the Deadlifts. Doesn't feel as good as a Squat but not bad.

#273117 - 08/03/06 07:50 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Taekwondo day. Our run was 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) that included going up hills and down hills. Then light stretch on our own and then it was "E-Day"; Grappling Day. Even though tired from the run I functioned perfectly for class. Went through some new techniques that also incorporate fitness. Class was for 50 minutes after the run and the last 15 minutes was free rolling. I then stayed another 1/2 to roll more.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 - Week 407, Day 1080

Barbell Bench Press = 237 lbs = 5/5/4/4/4
Barbell Seated Military Press = 140 lbs = 5/5/5/5/5
Barbell Upright Rows = 105 lbs = 5/6/5/4/5
Dumbbell Bent-Over Single-Arm Kickbacks = 79 lbs (per arm) = 8/6/7

I'm going to continue with this program but am going to try something different. Instead of trying to do "a lot" I am going to try doing to this only. Doing HIT I increased my bench with only 1 set a week so I am hoping that doing the 5 sets will also give me this benefit. We shall see; good workout though.

By not doing the Peck Deck I was able to increase my Military Press back to 140 lbs. Did a bit more on the Bench Press, did a bit more on the Upright Rows and stayed about the same for the Kickbacks. I would have done the full 5 sets but time was a ticking and I was already drained and I did not want to push to failure.

One thing I have noticed with working out this way is the time between sets. I always think I am taking too long and then when I look at the clock only a minute or so goes by. Three minutes is a long time to wait especially since over the years I have gotten used to just going with little or no rest. I'm still learning.

Worked on deck frm 6:30 to 9:30. When done I'll post some pictures.

#273118 - 08/05/06 01:16 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Good stuff amigo

well, just because I was on holiday doesnt mean I didnt train (my Dad would have been taking the micky all week if I had gone lazy on him ).

Saturday
Travelling to Wales, set up punch bag and rest/catch up with Parents.

Sunday
7am: 1.5 mile steady state run. 600m hill run. 6x2 min rounds free flow on heavy bag.

Monday
6.30am: 4x superset wide grip chins/push ups. lunge walk up 600m hill (funny looks from dog walkers). 4x3 min rounds on heavy bag

Tuesday

8am: Beach sprints (a la Rocky 3) 100m approx. Heavy stone carries 6 x 50m (approx)

Wednesday
8am: As Sunday.

Thursday
6.30am: As monday

Friday
Rest

Saturday (today)

7am: As Sunday

Every night saturday to friday
50 sit ups and 50 leg raises. Dad is old school, he does his stomach every day. I join him when at home.

Amazingly, despite being force fed ice cream and homecooked meals for a week, I have maintained a steady level of condition. my knees are pretty sore, looking forward to some low impact work this week coming.

#273119 - 08/07/06 06:18 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Sunday

weighted dip/chin superset x4
5 mile bike ride
4x3 min rounds heavy bag

Monday
Rest

#273120 - 08/08/06 12:34 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Not much to add for working out. Worked on deck Saturday 9:00 am to 7:00 pm, Sunday 9:00 am to 6:30 pm and Monday 10:00 am to 8:30 pm. Almost completed with only the stairs, railing and to fill in the area from the deck to the siding on the house. Hopefully sometime this week I can get this done.

Though haven't worked out it was pretty in tense in the high heat (30C or 86F). Had to level the property against the house with soil and wheel-barrelled 4.5 yards into my backyard. Good workout which was much like a Deadlift into a Farmer's Walk. Not to mention carrying all of that wood. Plans are to go to class Tuesday and Thursday and work out Wednesday and Friday ... plus to fit in time to work on the deck some more. Skipping Wednesday at work to go golfing with a friend ... I need the break.

#273121 - 08/09/06 02:54 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Tuesday

6am: Lovely morning so i went for a bike ride round a few of the villages surrounding cambridge. Dont know the exact distance, but somewhere around 25-30 miles

Wednesday

6am: 4 circuits of the following

Dips (BW)
wide chins (BW)
Kettlebell swings (25kg)
Farmers lunge 25m

NB. Have not done any direct ab work this week as they got a lot of volume on holiday, so giving extra recovery.

Dereck, you are turning into the lovechild of Stone Cold Steve Austin and Bob The Builder

Page 4 of 67 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga