FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 67 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273102 - 07/24/06 05:54 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Fair point on the grappling. Not doing any ground work myself, such application does not automaticaly spring to mind. In fact, what you will notice as this thread progresses is that i do not attend many MA classes these days. That is purely a situation influenced by finances at present. I am saving to buy my wife the full leg piece tattoo she has always wanted- ths means pulling extra shifts at the family pub, and also cutting back on other non essentials/recreations.
I use the heavy bag extensively, rope a friend of mine with some good Wing Chun experience in to sparring from time to time, and try to get to a Savate class every 3-4 weeks to ensure I dont fall into too many bad habits.

#273103 - 07/25/06 12:00 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Well Cord I hope you get back eventually into Martial Arts as I know you enjoyed it but I certainly understand your motivation and my hat goes off to you.

Monday, July 24, 2006 - Week 406, Day 1077

We have been going through a heat spell and it has been hot and humid making sleeping at night hard. The upstairs is off the scale as the thermometer only goes to 30C (86F) and it is well above that. The basement where my weight room is, is much cooler at around 28C (83F).

Barbell Bench Press = 237 lbs = 4/5/3/3/3
Peck Deck = 370 lbs = 9/6/6/6/4
Barbell Seated Military Press = 140 lbs = 4; 135 lbs = 6/5/4+/5
Barbell Upright Rows = 110 lbs = 5; 105 lbs = 5/4
Tricep Press Downs = 135 lbs = 7/6/7/7/9
Dumbbell Bent-Over Single-Arm Kickbacks = 79 lbs (per arm) = 8/7/7

Wasn't impressed with the Bench Press as I've gone backwards. Perhaps because it was so warm. Perhaps taking apart my deck for almost 5 hours was more draining then I thought. Perhaps because I haven't got enough sleep over the past few nights. Perhaps it is because over the weekend I did not eat proper due to the heat so ate quick things. Perhaps due to dehydration as after every set of this work out I needed lots of water and was sweating lots. None the less I will see how it goes next time.

Peck Deck I pushed for the first one to make up for the Bench Press. Also did more for the rest of the sets which felt sort of good but I believe I'm going to drop this exercise and replace it with something else as changing out the weight plates takes too long.

Military Press I wasn't impressed with either for the same reasons the Bench Press. Instead on this one I dropped my ego and dropped it 5 lbs and was able to get into the range that I wanted and felt better for it. The only person I have to impress is myself.

Upright Rows I added 10 lbs from the last workout but it was too much and my shoulders were already feeling the workout so dropped this weight by 5 and only did 3 sets total. Have to listen to your body from time to time and this time I did.

Tricep Press Downs were good but I'm finding I am putting too much of my shoulders into this workout. I will be thinking about changing out this workout as well so I will be giving this some thoughts.

Kick Backs; awesome. I dropped it by 10 lbs and the 79 lbs per arm was perfect and infact I think I can add 5 more lbs on to it next time. I got the full range of motion and I went to exhaustion and only took a minute between sets to really burn the muscle. This is got to be one of my favorite exercises.

Over all it was an okay workout that needs some modification. When done I was pumped and I swear I could have walked down the WWE's runway to the ring and passed myself off as a muscular wrestler, in fact my wife always said my build reminder her of Chris Jericho's. As for the hair, as I shave myself bald, I actually used to have long hair like this in the 80's and early 90's.

Now for some $hit$ and giggles. Prior to the workout I measure my arms and of course they were the same as listed above. After my workout I measured my right arm only and it was at 17.5". This means just by working out my triceps I gained an inch ... and is why it is important to measure and record yourself prior to your workout at rest. I have always liked the triceps especially when I found out that if you worked them more then you could have larger arms then if you put all of your effort into your biceps. Many a year ago I seen a guy at a hockey game who had triceps like cement blocks and that is what I liked and why I work them so hard. I actually hate working my biceps and need to put more effort into them and once I do then I should reap the rewards like I did a number of years ago.

So tomorrow is Taekwondo and will probably be forms and fundimental movements, we shall see when we go. See you on Wednesday for the PULL day.

#273104 - 07/25/06 04:10 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Tuesday
Rest. Having done 4 days straight I am ready for a break, especially as tomorrow afternoon is track sprints

#273105 - 07/26/06 01:15 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Not a weight lifting day but a physical demanding workout at Taekwondo tonight. Start with 100 fast skips, sprint to other side of dojo and drop and do 5 push ups, run back to the middle and to 5 monkey jumps and then run back to the beginning and do 5 sit ups. Repeat 8 times.

Doesn't sound like much but it was. Then stretch on your own for 5 or so minutes and then into fundimental movements, forms and followed by one-steps. Finished off with instructions in Korean to run a match. After everybody left I worked on Koryo that is required for black belt. Showed up at 7:15 to stretch before class and left at 9:00.

Tomorrow is PULL day and then Thursday is grappling day.

#273106 - 07/26/06 09:42 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
I love this thread.

#273107 - 07/26/06 10:09 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: TimBlack]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Wednesday
Track day.

400m jog straight into 400m run as warm up.

10x100m sprints, the walk back to the start is recovery.

2x50m 20 fast knee high paces, sprawl to 10 fast groiners, rinse and repeat for the full 50m. Stagger back to start acts as recovery.

2x50m close-to-wide step sprints

2x50m bounding long stride sprints.

400m slow jog cooldown.

i do this workout with one of my best friends who happens to be 6ft 5 and a keen rugby player. my motivation has to be at top level to keep him within sight on the later sprints, but I did pretty good today, drawing even on the first 2 lots of 100m's we did, and not lagging more than 5m behind throught the rest of them.

swimming tomorrow I think- give the old knees a rest

#273108 - 07/27/06 01:31 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Tonight was a bust as life got in the way. On the weekend I had torn apart my deck and to haul this away I needed to borrow a trailer and this just happened to be the night I got it. I loaded the trailer with my wife's help for the first hour and then my friend came over and helped us both for another 45 minutes. What we could fit in the trailer we did and anything that couldn't we still brough around to the side of my house and placed it on my RV pad (don't have an RV but built one as my wife's father parks his 5th wheel trailer here in the winter and my friend also parks his 5th wheel trailer here so in the winter I have two trailers beside my house). This week I will dump the one and then load up the second and dump that. Plus I have to make arrangements to get top soil to regrade the property where the deck was so that on Saturday my friend and I can pour the cement for the posts and then hopefully Sunday start the deck.

I'm totally exhausted and ready for bed at 11:32. Loading the trailer was a workout in itself though no replacement for actual lifting ... but nice to know that I have developed functional strength to do menial chores like this.

Grappling tomorrow ... move my PULL day to Friday and then start on Monday with the legs.

#273109 - 07/27/06 11:32 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

my knees felt great today! There must be life in the old dog yet

To celebrate my fully functioning legs, i decided to kill them

Travelling barbell lunges: 132lbs 4x50m
travelling barbell 'frog hops': 88lbs 4x25m

Then for upper body

superset Close grip under hand chins/parallel bar dips: 50lb weighted vest 4x failure. 10 seconds only between supersets. First set got 17 dips/9 chins, last set 6 dips/3 chins.

#273110 - 07/28/06 10:52 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Friday

Deadlifts 120kg (264lbs) 8,7,6,6
barbell military press 65kg (143lbs) 7,6,6,6
clean and press 70kg (154lbs) 10,10,8,6

My legs were heavy today, and by rights i should not have done this workout, but i am away on holiday for just over a week as of tonight, and will not have access to any weights, hence a little extra torture before a week of rest (apart from the steady state and hill sprint running, oh and i am taking my heavy bag with me as well )

See you all a week on Sunday

Edited by Dereck (07/29/06 12:47 AM)

#273111 - 07/28/06 11:05 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

oh and i am taking my heavy bag with me as well

He carries it under his arm.

And the car under the other arm.

Page 3 of 67 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga