FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 76 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 66 of 67 < 1 2 ... 64 65 66 67 >
Topic Options
#434069 - 10/28/11 12:44 PM Re: Creaky Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Had 2 weeks off for holidays and didn't work out; back at it this week and can feel the tightness. Also incorporated skipping for about 20 minutes a day; WOW. My calves are tight as heck; I'm physically drained; I'm going to bed earlier as so tired. In the morning or sitting around for a while, I look like an old man hobbling around; will take a while for my body to adjust to this new sensation. Used to skip a lot in TKD so am really looking forward to the results I will get from this.

Even with 2 weeks off I lost very little for my lifts. Some of the lifts I had not even done for a month due to scheduling so pretty happy with that. Love holidays however always find it difficult to workout during these times. With 6 weeks holidays a year; another week I get in 2 years, they are nice breaks.

Still plodding along.

#434071 - 10/28/11 04:09 PM Re: Creaky Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
choonbee Offline

Originally Posted By: Dereck
Even with 2 weeks off I lost very little for my lifts.

That's normal.
Two weeks off is probably just what the doctor ordered, and is necessary to heal up completely. Your lifts will probably go up past your previous numbers now that your body has been reset.
Occasional breaks are necessary in order to keep progressing. Your body will tell you when it's time, and as long as keep your diet in check during those breaks you'll be fine.

#434072 - 10/28/11 05:00 PM Re: Creaky Mods Journal [Re: choonbee]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thanks choonbee. Over the 14 years of lifting taking a break is something I've always done, and was known. I was just surprised how little I lost for strength as usually when I take that or more time off it is greater than this. But thanks again.

#434076 - 10/29/11 05:07 AM Re: Creaky Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
choonbee Offline

I guess if someone took a break for, say, 4 weeks or more, then their strength would go down a lot more.
After two weeks, I would lose that "edge", and would have to start back with lower weight and work up again.
I really don't lift to get stronger these days, but to maintain the strength that I already have because I'm pretty happy with where I'm at.
I do more bodyweight exercises and heavybag work to supplement my karate training these days, and focus on cardio with interval training, but I still do some basic free-weight stuff with compound movements as well.
The difference for me is that the weights are a part of the overall workout instead of the main focus of my training.
Good luck with your lifting. Stay safe.

#434079 - 10/29/11 02:59 PM Re: Creaky Mods Journal [Re: choonbee]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

I haven't done martial arts since January of 2009. Needed to recovery from some serious injuries and was losing focus. Now I lift to be stronger and to look good; but still have some functionality; just not as much as I did when I was doing martial arts. I feel this is where I want to be in life as I want to make a visual statement; this statement and having the strength comes in handy as work as an Auxiliary Constable for th RCMP; mostly on weekends only. But for me working out has become harder; I don't recover as fast and seems to be an uphill battle but I'm up for it. Being in my 40's sure is different than my 20's and 30's but that has not stopped me and nor shall it when I'm in my 50's and 60's.

I take periodic breaks with usually 3 weeks in July, 2 weeks in October and 1 week at Christmas; my earned holidays from my regular work. I also take every stat holiday off; I just find it hard to workout when I am not working at work. These breaks help to refocus and to give my body a break however as noted, I was pleasantly surprised how little this last time I lost.

Thanks again Choonbee.

#434081 - 10/29/11 04:46 PM Re: Creaky Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
choonbee Offline

I hear you, Dereck.
I'm 45 myself, and recovery is definitely slower than it used to be, but I feel the same way as you do about not letting age stop me. I may have to make adjustments to my workouts in the future, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.
These days I let my body tell me when it's time to take a break instead of having a certain set time period.
When I'm eating right, sleeping enough, and doing everything like I should be, and still feel burned out, then it's time to step back.
When I feel strong again and am thinking about working out a lot, then it's time to get going again.
I understand what you mean about losing focus in the martial arts as well, and I think it happens more often than people like to admit to.

Edited by choonbee (10/29/11 04:52 PM)

#435123 - 04/27/12 01:56 PM Re: Creaky Mods Journal [Re: choonbee]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Just dropping in to say I am still plodding along.

Had to take 2 months off due to back issues; something I have never had before. Xrays showed a slight buldge in the lower back and some degeneration. Was on meds and seeing a massage therapist. Even had doctor suggest chiropractor which surprised me and tried that but the ache was still there so said screw it and got back to lifting and the back feels better. I stretch more and ice after lifting but doing nothing was worse.

Come the fall I am hoping to make a huge career change. For the last 3 years I have been working weeks with the RCMP and am hoping to get on full time with the local police; something I have wanted for a long time. 5 years I put a plan in motion so that this would come true with paying off my house, our vehicles, daughters college and other debts. On track and owe minimal now and by November will be debt free.

I have to pass their required training so am doing Monday, Wednesday and Saturday a strong lift program, Tuesday and Thursday running track. On Sunday I'm doing the beep shuttle run that is required to see where I'm at and to exceed their requirements. Training 6 days a week is tiresome to say the least and I can feel it in my knees. But nothing is going to hold me back; I will be prepared.

For my lifting up until taking the 2 months off; have been back 2 weeks only, I was starting to see some of my large lifts coming back. Here are some of the lifts I have recorded for 1RM.

Barbell Squat = 450 Lbs
Barbell Front Squat = 387 Lbs
Bench Press = 320 Lbs
Dead Lift = 415 Lbs
Military Press = 199 Lbs
Bent-Over-Rows = 327 Lbs

My program is:

Day 1: Squats, Bench, Rows - 5x5
Day 2: Squats, Press, Deadlift - 4x5
Day 3: Squats, Bench, Rows - 4x5,1x3,1x8

With the short layoff and with all of the running these will take a little time to get back to but I'm confident that even though I'm 43 that there are plenty of big lifts in my future.

Will check back in the near future. Thanks.

#435124 - 04/27/12 08:10 PM Re: Creaky Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
choonbee Offline

That's a pretty heavy load.
My advice would be to make sure that you're getting enough calories and rest to support your heavy compound lifting and your running.
Also, I would scale back your training load in the week leading up to the test.
Don't stop completly, just dial it back so that you can realize the benefit of your training, and have enough energy to smoke that test. Sort of like a boxer scales back before a scheduled bout.

#435129 - 04/29/12 05:25 PM Re: Creaky Mods Journal [Re: choonbee]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thanks; makes sense.

#435279 - 06/06/12 01:40 PM Re: Creaky Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Update; still plodding along. Back is still aching from time to time. Still trying to get back to those weights but as taking it easy on some of the lifts for my back, the other lifts are not progressing as planned. Just goes to show that the body grows together and that if you don't target all areas it affects your overall gains.

Running 2-3 days a week trying to get my cardio up. Burning a lot of calories and can see that in my body. Abs are looking really good and have been showing them off by mowing the lawn wihtout a shirt. Wife really liking them too. I believe I am on par to do the necessary physical test but want to ensure I am at an even higher level.

Moving forward even with the hurdles of my back. It will all be for a good cause.

Page 66 of 67 < 1 2 ... 64 65 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga