FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 67 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273142 - 08/17/06 02:31 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
i still read in awe your kickback poundages- last time I saw someone repping out with 35 kilo dumbell with good technique on this exercise, the guy in question was 23 stone!. You have some crazy tricep strength there amigo

I have a lower ab/groin strain at the moment that makes sprinting a no-no but fortunately my cycling is unafected.

Wednesday/Thursday

Having done our induction, we now have to wait a few days till our details are processed and our membership starts, so on night shift I did my work circuit (push ups, chins, vice swings and box jump squats) at 1am

Thursday

This evening I did 5 miles on my bike, then 6x2 min rounds on the heavy bag, concentrating on fast 6 punch combo's, and max work rate.

#273143 - 08/17/06 05:04 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

i still read in awe your kickback poundages- last time I saw someone repping out with 35 kilo dumbell with good technique on this exercise, the guy in question was 23 stone!. You have some crazy tricep strength there amigo.

Tricep is my favorite muscle to work ... bicep is my worst muscle to work. Also my tricep is the largest and most defined muscle ... or what I believe so, whereas my wife likes my broad shoulders and chest. I remember seeing a young guy with huge triceps. Overall he wasn't overly big but his triceps looked like cinderblocks and I wanted to work mine like that too ... though mine are no where near his size.

I think I can handle the weight due to how I do them. I do these bent over and leaning on my bench with one arm and with this leg forward and the other leg back creating a stable platform. I keep the arm with the weight in tight to my body and I always use a mirror to watch it through its movement. Going fast serves no real purpose nor does swinging it, plus then I can't enjoy how it looks when it is fully extended back. I couldn't curl 79 lbs with one arm but in this position bringing the weight up into a curl is not as hard as you have gravity working on your side due to being bent over. By being able to bring it this far up and then pushing back, you have a larger range of motion to work the muscle. You need to get the full extension of the muscle and that is when your arm is inline with your spine. I should mention when bent over your back is still straight ... but you probably already knew that. For me at the end of when inline with the spine, I like to turn my hand upwards as I don't find the muscle gets as worked when just straight back. I think that little extra twist of the wrist helps lots. I like the feeling this exercise does and how it looks in the mirror and is why it is my favorite of all exercises. Plus I finish with this exercise and it is not uncommon while the muscle is pumped that my arms are 1" or greater afterwards. This also looks good in the mirror afterwards when I pose.

I'm sure if I was with yourself or my buddy Mac I probably still could use some fine tuning as what I think I'm doing correct might be slightly off but it seems to be working ... now if I could only get my chest and shoulders to strengthen then I could also see increases in those exercises. With time ...

#273144 - 08/18/06 11:46 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Class today and it is "B-Day" which is a kicking day. Instructor not doing too well due to lower back problems stemming from MMA training. His card was cancelled for this weekend in Fort McMurray so he is trying to get on the Calgary card for September 9th. His wife and Instructor, who I absolutely adore, took over class.

Started with light run and then she set up the rope ladder on the floor and we did drills. I don't know if anybody has done these but they are designed for foot work. Running in between each rung, high knees between each rung, in and outs, sissors, backwards, etc. It is high paced and full bore. Little difficult to find a good rythme but with my Instructor leading the pack I was right behind her all of the way and while people were starting to suck wind I kept pushing it.

Then afterwards it was stretching and then into line drills where everybody lines up and holds one paddle out and the last person in line holds a slammer shield. Then it is speed kicking with one foot and then a back kick to the slammer shield. 10 on one side then 10 on the other. Finished class with current patterns (i.e. Koryo for myself) and then we headed over to my place to watch Ultimate Fight Night and the Ultimate Fighter 4 series on Spike TV that I had recorded on my HDPVR.

After everybody left at 11:30 I watched Big Brother 6 and then the Contendor and then headed to bed.

EDIT: I should make mention that I have been experiencing pain in my right knee, my good knee. I believe it has been over compensating for my left knee so is under more strain. Plus I woke up in the night moaning in pain due to an ongoing injury. About 3 years ago we used to train on hard wood floors which I actually enjoyed. We then got those interlocking puzzle-like mats and while doing a spin return kick my one foot remained planted and as I spun something tore in by lower gluteus maximus (butt). I have had it looked at and seen physio and stuff and later while going for other problems to my sports doctor, he informed me that this was not my butt but actually the hamstring that connects to this area. For almost 3 years I have been having problems on and off with this and I always try to stretch it thoroughly enough before kicking classes but there will be the odd time, such as this, that the stretching did not make much of a difference. After 2x400 mb of Extra Strength Ibuprofen I was able to get back to sleep.

#273145 - 08/19/06 01:45 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
This might be the best thread ever.

#273146 - 08/19/06 05:37 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I like to turn my hand upwards as I don't find the muscle gets as worked when just straight back. I think that little extra twist of the wrist helps lots.

OK, holding a peak contraction with full pronation is just showing off

*Cord adds kickbacks to his 'Go silly in the new gym' workout to see what he can do*

Friday

worked 2 shifts in the family pub, went to see my Wife's Gran in the nursing home and generaly attended to family commitments. Did manage to find 30 mins in which to play 'Urban Chaos' on my Xbox, but nothing more demanding than that.

Saturday

i am so dumb

I have 2 commercial de-ionised water containers, refilled with tap water that weigh in at 30kg approx each. i use them for farmers walk intervals and other carrying drills.

The main road of the village I live in outside cambridge, encircles it- a ring road for want of a better term, and is 2.7 miles in total. Today I took my water containers and farmers walked/lunged them the entire way, stopping when my grip failed, recovering and going again.

I have an ice pack on the back of my neck/upper traps, and typing this is very weird/difficult as my hands feel like they dont belong to me. on the up side, my legs and lower back seem to have coped somewhat easier.

I got it done in a shade over an hour. The grip endurance during the last mile failed badly .

Tomorrow may be a rest day.

Edited by Cord (08/19/06 03:38 PM)

#273147 - 08/21/06 12:46 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Well, today was my big return to the world of the gym. All things considered it went OK.

Started with plate loaded 45 degree leg press, and worked up to a 6 rep max with 270kg (594lbs)
Next was a plate loaded chest press thing with independant lever handles that allow free range of motion- almost like a dumbell press. worked up to 6 reps with 80kg (176lbs). It was fun, but a weird movement- think I will stick with the smith machine in the future and work up the weights on something more conventional.
Next was seated row- the kind with fixed handles and a pad to sit in to. Its a pulley machine so the weight is irrelevant, but worked up to a 3 rep max with 270lbs.
Then it was on to Standing dumbell press for a best of 8 reps with the 30's (132lbs total).
Finaly did standing shrugs (again on a machine), used the stack, the runner stuck on one of the reps and I lifted the front end of the machine . Too light, so will again revert to smith machine shrugs in the future.

All the above was done with my work colleague, and now training partner who lurks on here- his user name is Grumbleweed, and he has only been training for 7 months, but is making excellent progress.

Cords back baby

#273148 - 08/21/06 01:03 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Good stuff Cord. Man I wish that we were closer so that I could work out with you. I think that we could push each other very well. Look forward to reading more.

#273149 - 08/21/06 05:36 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
grumbleweed Offline

<<All the above was done with my work colleague, and now training partner who lurks on here- his user name is Grumbleweed, and he has only been training for 7 months, but is making excellent progress.>>

Thanks Cord for the encouraging words not to mention the earlier technique tuition on various kit at the gym I'd been misusing . Looking forward to more of the same

#273150 - 08/21/06 05:50 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: grumbleweed]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Hi Grumbleweed, welcome to the forums. You have a good training partner with Cord, and we hope you enjoy the forums.

#273151 - 08/21/06 06:44 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

The main road of the village I live in outside cambridge, encircles it- a ring road for want of a better term, and is 2.7 miles in total. Today I took my water containers and farmers walked/lunged them the entire way, stopping when my grip failed, recovering and going again.

I have an ice pack on the back of my neck/upper traps, and typing this is very weird/difficult as my hands feel like they dont belong to me. on the up side, my legs and lower back seem to have coped somewhat easier

OOOhhh

Hi cord

I Know the feeling.Except mine is at the other end so to speak.I have been running/ sprinting up a large steep hill mainly at night. Got some endurance from it but my achilles tendons and my calves are on another planet.Its strange because instead of getting just out of breath I dont. Every thing just gives in at once .No energy no leg strenght no air left.

zilch

Then i turn around and run(if you can call it a run)back down and stagger to the car.

The joys of attempts at rejuvination.

Page 7 of 67 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga