FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
ergees 2
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 67 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 66 67 >
Topic Options
#273132 - 08/15/06 12:49 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Monday, August 14, 2006 - Week 409, Day 1082

Well things did not workout as I had suspected. Just after lunch my stomach wasn't feeling right and about 3:30 I knew making it another hour at work was going to be difficult. I got home and layed on my new deck ( ) on the swing for an hour hoping it would pass so that I could get off to class as it was grappling days but starting with a 5 Kilomenter run. By 7:00 I knew I was in no shape to go so I putzed around the house filling holes in the walls with plans to sand them tomorrow and reapply the plaster again before we do the painting of our upstairs before Monday when the laminent comes.

By about 8:30 I went downstairs and turned on the TV and the ending of Rocky was on and it got me going. I wasn't totally feeling well but enough to hit my glider for 10 minutes and then I thought what the heck and did my leg day.

Barbell Deadlifts = 320 lbs = 5/7/6/6/5
Seated Calve Raises = 250 lbs = 10/10/10

Deadlifts I went up, just imagine what I could have done feeling 100%. My goal is to get to 350 by December ... have to catch up to what Matt used to do at one time. Calve Raises also increased as prior I did with 5 seconds hold between each and in this case I did 10 seconds for 7 of the 10 of the first set, 10 seconds for 6 of the second set, and 10 seconds of 8 for the third set. My calves were really burning and had a difficult time walking upstairs afterwards.

Pushing for class tomorrow which will be "F-Day" that entails Long Stretching, Breaking Techniques and Target Sparring. Enjoy the target sparring (sometimes) as it is one on one with the Instructor and he pushes you hard. If hands down he swats you in the head with the paddle. Can never do the same technique in a row. Go hard and hold nothing back and when he thinks you've had enough we usually finish off with pyramid kicking with the right leg up to 10 and down and then switch.

Wednesday I planned to do my PUSH day but it is also my wife's Birthday and I don't think she'll let me get away with it ... so I'll rush home and hit it before she gets home and that way she can't complain as much.

#273133 - 08/15/06 09:10 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Happy Birthday to your Wife Dereck (hope you get to sneak that workout in )

Tuesday

Rest- i have my induction at the gym on wednesday, and am honour bound to stay on afterwards and do all I can to self inflict as much DOMS as I can by doing a few heavy sets on everything in there just for a laugh

#273134 - 08/16/06 01:50 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thanks Cord ... for my wife and myself.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The only good thing about today is that it is pay day. As I mentioned I wasn't feeling to well yesterday and that sort of went with today but I went to class. We ran stairs then did a short run and then did lines with monkey jumps, skipping knees, push ups and sit ups mixed in. Class started with target sparring with first 3 minutes and to top it off we had to do 10 monkey jumps. Then after a 30 second break we had to do it again for 1.5 minutes finished with 10 monkey jumps and 10 body squats with front kicks (10 per leg). Then the final round was 1 minute finished with 10 monkey jumps, 10 body squats with front kicks (10 per leg) and 10 squat thrusts. Then it was your partner's turn. I sucked wind and my lower back was hurting a bit probably due to pushing things yesterday and not allowing myself enough rest today with this stuff.

Then we got into breaking. Every break you had to do up to your belt level so that was pretty much all of them for me. If you missed on your first try then you had to do 10 knuckle push ups. If you missed your second attempt then it was 10 knuckle push ups and 10 monkey jumps. I went through my elbow smashes, punches, front kicks, step side kicks, back kicks and speed chop with no problems. Then it was front jump kicks and I missed both sides both times so had to crank these off. Then it was back kick, ax kick and spin 360 back kick which I pulled off though one of my ax kicks did not the first time so hand to crank off 10 knuckle push ups. Push up ... easy as pie and doesn't phase me one bit. Class finished and I did my Koryo Pattern and called it quits as sweat was dripping down me and I realized I was beyond drained.

Came home and watched my recordings of Big Brother 6 and Rock Star: Super Nova and now have hit the computer and will head to bed right away. Tomorrow is another day!!!!!

#273135 - 08/16/06 04:33 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Big Brother? Oh Dereck, how low have we sunk?

#273136 - 08/16/06 11:02 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: TimBlack]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

"Big Boy like Big Brother"

#273137 - 08/16/06 12:01 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by Dereck -

Quote:

Deadlifts I went up, just imagine what I could have done feeling 100%. My goal is to get to 350 by December ... have to catch up to what Matt used to do at one time. Calve Raises also increased as prior I did with 5 seconds hold between each and in this case I did 10 seconds for 7 of the 10 of the first set, 10 seconds for 6 of the second set, and 10 seconds of 8 for the third set. My calves were really burning and had a difficult time walking upstairs afterwards.

Nice job with those DL's, Dereck. I haven't tried much in mthe way of heavy lifts for a while. But I am quite sure if you keep it up, you will probably beat my personal best on that!

#273138 - 08/16/06 12:40 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Thanks for the vote of confidence Matt. Seeing how your actual personal best was 380 lbs for 1 rep, I have my work cut out for me. I am though going to push for this by December. You should see my hands, my left has a blister underneath my middle finger on my palm and my right hand has the same thing underneath my middle and ring finger ... and I wear gloves for this. The skin heals and the callous builds up and then I do it again and it restarts. When I'm done they will be huge ... like me. Thanks for the motivation.

#273139 - 08/16/06 11:35 PM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Dereck]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Well, I had my induction- the instructor was very good, and didnt make me suck too many eggs. The gym is really rather good (I joined without looking at it- main motivation was to keep the wife company during her exercise rehab). i now have access to a $hit load of cybex plate loaded stations, that actually have a variable plane of motion, so not quite on a par with dumbells, but significantly better than pulley/stack fixed plane equipment. Also got a glute/ham station,smith machine, dumbells up to 60lbs (laterals and concentration curls anyone? ), ergo- rowers (great for interval work), and a dip chin station and heavy bag, though I will still probably do this stuff in my garage- just feels better than in the refined atmosphere of a gym.

Deni is stoked about it too, she really liked the atmosphere, and cant wait to get going (after she has bought some workout outfits and a new pair of Nike's- why do ladies find shopping opertunities in every facet of everyday life? I have had the same training shirts/track pants for years- my fave shirt is 13 years old, and its only sweat that holds it together)

I am even thinking about doing a little mass training- just for fun of course

#273140 - 08/17/06 12:49 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Kid in a candy store.

#273141 - 08/17/06 02:36 AM Re: Creaky Old Mods Journal [Re: Cord]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Sounds good Cord and good for Deni too. Take good care of her.

Wednesday, August 15, 2006 - Week 409, Day 1083

I gave it some thought as how I could workout but still not take anything away from my wife's birthday. The only conclusion was ... leave work early ... and that is what I planned on doing. I got into work and went into the In/Out Schedule and marked it for me to leave at 3:30 instead of my regular 4:30. Bad thing is that I was still feeling sort of ill, the one that started back on Monday afternoon. I felt so ill I could not eat my second breakfast at 10:00, only ate a part of my lunch at 12:00 and could not eat my second lunch at 2:30. I left at 3:30 regardless and thought I'd play it by ear. Got home, put on the new Breaking Benjamin album and worked out.

Barbell Bench Press = 237 lbs = 5/5/4/4/4
Barbell Seated Military Press = 140 lbs = 6/6/6/5/5
Barbell Upright Rows = 105 lbs = 6/6/5/5/5
Dumbbell Bent-Over Single-Arm Kickbacks = 79 lbs (per arm) = 10/10/10

Bench Press stayed the same. I think if I could have eaten my meals that I would have possibly had more energy and I may have made a dent in this. Also I feel as soon as my shoulders get stronger this will also go up. Not too mention if I wasn't feeling so ill with this stomach flu or whatever I have then things may have been better. This is horrible, I'm so addicted that even when sick I'm working out!!!!

Military Press went up and overall I did 3 more reps. Upright Rows also went up and overall I did 2 more reps. Kickbacks I increased by 9 reps overall and I will now take this up another 5 lbs to 84 lbs per arm.

As I was finishing up my wife got home from work and decided she would go for her walk while I finished and took a shower. She walks almost every weekday as she enjoys this and has been doing this for 5 years or so. She's a speedy little walker and this is her thing. Also my daughter and her just finished a step class that they loved and will start up again once the summer is over. Even my 13 old daughter did well and kicked butt in these classes.

Ordered in supper and we decided that work around the house was too important to put off so I ended up sanding and plastering the second coating. My wife has the day off tomorrow so my wife and daughter will sand, re-apply plaster if needed and then start the painting. We want everything done by the weekend so that Monday/Tuesday the laminant goes in without a hitch.

Class tomorrow and then my Instructor and wife will come over to watch Ultimate Fight Night on Spike TV and then season 4 of the Ultimate Fighter. Both I'm recording so that we don't have to rush from class.

DERECK'S QUESTION: Am I providing too much information?

Edited by Dereck (08/17/06 10:15 AM)

Page 6 of 67 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 66 67 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga