FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#272587 - 07/18/06 06:25 PM Bally's Total Fitness TKD Class
blascun2k Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX USA
Just an observation, I work out at a Ballys total Fitness, and they have a TKD Class, one day I decided to sit and watch,...now I'm not one to call out names, and 'mcdojo' is something I rarely say...in fact, thats the first time I think i've referred to one,...but this class was full of 5-8 year olds, and about half had 'black belts'....I watched for about 45 minutes, and the instructer couldnt even control her students, they were running all over the place and yelling. Then they all punched a time card, I asked one of the parents what that was about, they said they can't test for their next stripe unless they have a certain amount of time. Anyone ever seen that in other fitness centers?

I didnt stick around to watch the adult class...maybe it would be a bit better..

#272588 - 07/18/06 08:13 PM Re: Bally's Total Fitness TKD Class [Re: blascun2k]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Why don't you stick around for a lesson or two, you ay learn something. IS the teacher getting payed to be there by bally's or are the parents paying them on the side? Many imes these gyms have nothing to do with the exercise programs they offer, usually someone with some experience in some special skill/craft starts up a group and thats how it goes, usually the gym just likes to advertise from it.
Vinci

#272589 - 07/20/06 12:55 AM Re: Bally's Total Fitness TKD Class [Re: TeK9]
blascun2k Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX USA
No this is a program thats ran by the gym nation wide, they call their clubs TMA I think, all the larger ballys have them. Have to sign a 3 year contract, your right, might learn something, but I would never take a class, would be an insult to my school and master....or atleast, imo it would be.

I did notice one thing...they have about 15 different belts, and each belt has up to four stripes...

So for example, if each belt test was $40, and each stripe was say,..$20, that would be $120 to go from lets say, white to yellow?

Edited by blascun2k (07/20/06 12:57 AM)

#272590 - 07/20/06 12:53 PM Re: Bally's Total Fitness TKD Class [Re: blascun2k]
StormDOA Offline

Loc: Lansing, Mich., USA
I have seen places close to that, but never that bad. The other poster is correct though watch and you might learn something, nearly everytime I watch another class of anything from Arnis to Savate I feel like I at least learn something. The real tragedy thoug is that classes like that evn exist. I have slowly watched them build up over the last 10-12 years, it is too bad it ruins the reputation of quality TKD schools, but i guess that is the price we pay for letting ourselves be marketed so much. Too bad overall, it is depressing not at all the classes I remember and loved and am still trying to have. But unfortunately it is becoming an uphill battle to have serious adult TKD classes that teach quality technique, good self defense and competition. Damn the soccer moms

#272591 - 07/20/06 01:22 PM Re: Bally's Total Fitness TKD Class [Re: StormDOA]
mudotkd Offline

I hate how Karate and Taekwondo are becoming so kids and children oriented. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This gym, Bally's Total Fitness, doesn't seem to be an exception.

#272592 - 07/20/06 02:01 PM Re: Bally's Total Fitness TKD Class [Re: mudotkd]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

I hate how Karate and Taekwondo are becoming so kids and children oriented. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This gym, Bally's Total Fitness, doesn't seem to be an exception.

Doesn't bother me anymore. How it is being taught is more important than how old the students are.

#272593 - 07/20/06 02:10 PM Re: Bally's Total Fitness TKD Class [Re: BrianS]
mudotkd Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't bother me anymore. How it is being taught is more important than how old the students are.

How it's being taught and how old the students are very much related. You can't teach a proper martial arts class with a seven year old atmosphere and a master that would rather cater to these seven year olds to rake in some money.

Are all dojangs like this? Thankfully, no. But more dojangs that are like this outnumber the serious ones. And it's getting worse by the minute - this situation, that is. It's actually pretty sad. I love TKD and I have all the respect for it but these kiddie-soccer mom oriented dojangs don't provide the right atmosphere for serious, intensive martial art/combat study.

I remember my dad telling me when he practiced TKD as a kid growing up in Korea decades ago, they sparred full contact without gear with bare knuckles.

I'm not trying to take away from Olympic sparring. Olympic sparring is intense too and requires a lot of athleticism.

I'm just trying to make the case that serious, hardcore combat study gets harder when your master would rather run a daycare center for tiny children and keep them occupied with pointless drills and all fun and zero conditioning, then you have a problem.

#272594 - 07/20/06 02:27 PM Re: Bally's Total Fitness TKD Class [Re: mudotkd]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Oh boy,such is the mindset.

TKD is sport oriented,face it. Whhat's wrong with getting the kids involved in martial arts?Would you rather them be out paintballing transients?

Quote:

I remember my dad telling me when he practiced TKD as a kid growing up in Korea decades ago, they sparred full contact without gear with bare knuckles.

With that kind of sparring,you wouldn't be sparring very much. All the students would be on the 'too injured to train' list.

I have never personally seen a TKD school without kids or that employs "serious combat training" lol.

I'm just sayin'...

#272595 - 07/20/06 02:34 PM Re: Bally's Total Fitness TKD Class [Re: mudotkd]
StormDOA Offline

Loc: Lansing, Mich., USA
yeah i totally agree with both of you, really there are lots of good TKD schools out there. I try to run one myself, but unfortunately it is hard to keep pride in TKD in general because there are so many schools that have went totally comercial. And some of these are good schools, my own school has a kids only class they work hard and they have fun, they learn discipline and social rules an I can hnestly say I like them, they are good kids. But none the less, having kids in class has diminished the adult aspect of it, even though I fight against it. It is too bad TKD cannot have a universalized junior black belt rule, but unfortunately as an art we are just too big now, I guess thats the downside of being popular in any given period.At any rate, to stp rambling, I will continue to try to keep a serious adult class that teaches a quality martial art and combat system to my students and just hope others are doing the same.

#272596 - 07/20/06 02:43 PM Re: Bally's Total Fitness TKD Class [Re: StormDOA]
KarlHTKDSTUDENT Offline

I do a Martial Arts class at my school that teaches Tae Kwon Do with other other arts mixed in. We do learn some stuff that is more sports orientated, but most of the techniques are taught to be able to be used in a real combat situation, where you would have to stop your attacker as fast as possible.
-Karl

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga