FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#272494 - 07/20/06 05:01 AM Re: Judo vs Sambo on the ground [Re: mudotkd]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Your question about Judo vs Sambo, is like asking "Which one will win between Greco-roman vs Freestyle".

Besides some minor detail, they're almost the same. Sambo is Russian Judo. Except sambo does leg locks, while Judo practitioners are good at throwing from the upperbody, while sambo are good at leg tackles.

Tell me if you figure it out which one is better between Greco-roman and freestyle. If you do, you could probably answer this question as well.

-Taison

#272495 - 07/20/06 12:17 PM Re: Judo vs Sambo on the ground [Re: mudotkd]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I've watched clips and it seems the referees in sambo allow sambo practitioners a better chance and more leeway for grappling.

Sometimes it seems like Judo refs stop it prematurely.. What's with that? And what's with guys that standup voluntarily after hitting the mat even though they did the throwing? *scratches head*

It can be advantageous to have it broken up quickly. At the end of the day, as long as you are trying to get out of it, the ref will let it go. It is good Ne Waza to get out of seemingly tricky situations as fast as possible. Frankly, if you are allowed a long time to get out of a ground hold, that can be a disadvantage. You will get use to taking your time. A sport like Judo makes you act quickly, and if you know you are against the clock, you will practice getting out quicker.

Don't underestimate the impact of the Olympics on Judo too. If you have a 5 minute round, and a potential audience of billions, you can't have 2 players staring at each other on the ground for 45 seconds. People will change channels.

Can I ask mudo, do you find that quick breaks in Ne Waza happen to you, or is this a general observation of Judo?Reason I ask that as a Judo newbie, your Ne Waza will take a little time to get up to power, and so you will find yourself in places you can't get out of at the start of your Judo journey. We all went through it. Most of my early randori was broken up, more times than I care to remember. The longer you practice, the longer uninterrupted randori you will have.

#272496 - 07/20/06 01:20 PM Re: Judo vs Sambo on the ground [Re: Prizewriter]
mudotkd Offline

The reason I ask is in most of Judo matches and Judo HL reels I've seen on YouTube or Video Google, there really isn't much newaza. One match I saw ended in a Ippon pin but even that one had its moments where couple of newaza attempts were broken up or they voluntarily stood up.

Other clips were like this too. A lot of times, the competitors stood up voluntarily.

#272497 - 07/20/06 01:46 PM Re: Judo vs Sambo on the ground [Re: mudotkd]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Well, I can't say all Judo matches end up being won on the ground. But a lot do.

I don't think that it detracts from Judo. A good school should teach you a) good Ne Waza and b) condition you properly for a good long match or randori situation, whether it be on the ground or standing up. You aren't conditioned to stop when you are on the ground for a certain time. It's just that Judo likes to keep the action going.

Like I said in your other thread re Judo rules, Judoka have handled themselves very well against all grapplers, and the reverse is true. I know the guys who have practiced with Judoka on the MMA/Grappling forums have massive respect for them, and they seem to give as good as they get!

By the by, a thread by someone you might know. Grapplers here seem to think highly of ne waza: http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15852688

In conclusion, Judo has more than enough to help you become a good grappler. As you will know, it's all how you train. If you want to work a lot on your own Ne Waza, as your sensei. A good place to start is Katame no Kata. Practice that along with your other judo training.

I know many judoka who are "ground guys" and will try and take you down ASAP and choke you out. It suits some Judoka more. If it is something you want to do (i.e. a lot of ground work) talk to your sensei.

I would say Judo could live with any grappling style, Sambo or otherwise, on the ground. The breaking up of Judo players does not adversely affect their abilities as grapplers IMHO. You know the techniques, and Judo will condition you to go on as long as it takes.

P.S. The most spectacular thing in Judo is to see an Ippon throw. It is the "money shot", so to speak, hence the large amount of clips on the net of throws. Seeing a judoka hold another in hon-kesa-gatame for 25 seconds isn't just as impressive to the untrained eye! Check out some comps to get a broader view.

#272498 - 07/28/06 08:58 PM Re: Judo vs Sambo on the ground [Re: Scorchsaber]
Kazama Offline
mystical mountain hermit

Sambo was developed for military combat in Russia, whether standing or on the ground. It is meant to be brutal, quick, and efficient. So if it is Judo vs. Military Sambo, I would put my money on Sambo, just because Judo is mainly used for sport now a days.

#272499 - 07/29/06 08:22 AM Re: Judo vs Sambo on the ground [Re: Kazama]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Kazama

I know you are a newb here, so will be gentle with you this time.

There is no way to know for sure who would win, or which is better. Artists make the art. Any number of things could happpen. You are entitled to your opinion, but as you have no experience with Military Sambo (based on another of your posts), and your profile indicates you have no Judo experience (feel free to correct me) then how on earth can you know for sure? None of us can.

Good luck in your Military Sambo search though. If I find anything, I will let you know.

#272500 - 07/29/06 09:37 AM Re: Judo vs Sambo on the ground [Re: Prizewriter]
Kazama Offline
mystical mountain hermit

Quote:

Kazama

I know you are a newb here, so will be gentle with you this time.

There is no way to know for sure who would win, or which is better. Artists make the art. Any number of things could happpen. You are entitled to your opinion, but as you have no experience with Military Sambo (based on another of your posts), and your profile indicates you have no Judo experience (feel free to correct me) then how on earth can you know for sure? None of us can.

Good luck in your Military Sambo search though. If I find anything, I will let you know.

yep, your right. This was one of the few posts I've made without thinking about what I was saying

#272501 - 07/29/06 10:00 AM Re: Judo vs Sambo on the ground [Re: Kazama]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Ah don't sweat is mate. A light search will reveal many a PW post with lack of thought. So don't worry!

#272502 - 07/29/06 03:19 PM Re: Judo vs Sambo on the ground [Re: mudotkd]
BigRod Offline
Does it all

Loc: Atlanta, GA
As others have said, it's primarily going to depend on the players. And let's not forget the rules. That would very well have a significant impact on the outcome.

Judo doesn't focus on leg locks (to my knowledge) that much, so a Sambo guy would have HUGE advantage if you allow leg locks. Sambo doesn't emphasis chokes, so the Judo player has HUGE advantage there.

Beyond rules, it's all individual talent and how studious each player has been.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga