FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
Victor Smith 1
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#271026 - 07/12/06 03:50 PM would you ever turn a student away?
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

would you ever refuse (politely of course) to teach a prospective student?

lets say someone walks into your club and is interested in taking your classes. which one of these scenarios would you turn away:

1. the person is average height, but well over 350lbs.

2. the person has multiple face peircings and tells you they won't remove them but is willing to risk it.

3. the person mentions, for religious reasons, they will not engage in any 'ceremonial' or iconic things like wearing rank, bowing, or speaking a foreign language nor recite any codes.

4. the person is obviously a transgender female, (was male-is now a female, without operation).

5. tells you they will pay x money to learn 1 particular kata or skill.

6. the person happens to be your sibling's ex-spouse who is cuurently going thru a nasty legal battle with each other.

7. a student who always pays on time and in full, but consitantly only shows up to one class per month.

8. a person who has double the amount of MA experience as you and visibly more skill than yourself, but is humble about it.

9. someone who is not particularly interested in the Art, but more in the exercise aspect.

10. a student of another school, who you know will be taking the other art simultaneously.

thanks, -E

#271027 - 07/12/06 04:50 PM Re: would you ever turn a student away? [Re: Ed_Morris]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

lets say someone walks into your club and is interested in taking your classes. which one of these scenarios would you turn away:

Done that in my AKK school, in addition to teaching a 6'10" 275 giant. A challenge, yes. Not impossible, though.

2. the person has multiple face peircings and tells you they won't remove them but is willing to risk it.

Not a chance.

3. the person mentions, for religious reasons, they will not engage in any 'ceremonial' or iconic things like wearing rank, bowing, or speaking a foreign language nor recite any codes.

If it's part of the school, then they should do it within reason.

4. the person is obviously a transgender female, (was male-is now a female, without operation).

Don't see a problem except for the factor, LOL.

Hmm........skill? Ok. Kata? I don't think so.

6. the person happens to be your sibling's ex-spouse who is cuurently going thru a nasty legal battle with each other.

HELL NO!

7. a student who always pays on time and in full, but consitantly only shows up to one class per month.

As long as they understand they will take a LONG time to get anywhere, I guess so.

8. a person who has double the amount of MA experience as you and visibly more skill than yourself, but is humble about it.

9. someone who is not particularly interested in the Art, but more in the exercise aspect.

Nope. Join a gym.

10. a student of another school, who you know will be taking the other art simultaneously.

I don't see why not.

*gulp*

Having read my responses....wow. Maybe I am a McInstructor!

#271028 - 07/12/06 04:50 PM Re: would you ever turn a student away? [Re: Ed_Morris]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
If I were to run a school, the only person I would turn away would be someone I felt was dangerous, such as a known child molestor.

If someone came to my school and said that they wouldn't participate in x y and z, then I would tell them that I didn't think the school was a good fit for them. Unless there is a health reason that prevents someone from doing something, I would expect the rules and curriculum to be followed.

If there was a conflict of interest such as the nasty divorce situation, I would have to make it judgement call based on the situation. If they don't bring it into the classroom then there isn't a problem, but if it becomes an issue, then I might have to ask the student to leave until the situation has been resolved.

The fact is, I would have other students to think about and if that person is a distraction or dangerous then its my responsibility to make sure I do something to provide a safe environment to train.

Laura

#271029 - 07/12/06 06:45 PM Re: would you ever turn a student away? [Re: Ed_Morris]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Ed Morris wrote
Quote:

Quote:

I would definitely KEEP that guy! If you don’t have a massive heavyweight to train with, you’re missing some valuable learning experiences.

Quote:

I wouldn’t risk blood on my mats. They’d have to take them off or no dice.

Quote:

That would be fine by me! I don’t do any of that myself.

Quote:

Nope. No dice. I’m good with most things but that’s still a little freaky. If its THAT obvious, it’s just going to be more of a distraction than anything else.

Quote:

That would be weird, wouldn’t it? I’ve not ever had that happen nor do I think I will. However if a person wants to pay me, it’s their dime and their time. I’ll show them whatever they want.

Quote:

I’d gladly welcome him in to “train”

Quote:

No deal there. With limited space, the paying and committed students get any available spots.

Quote:

I’d welcome them in and “force” THEM to lead training, lol. Who cares who gets the credit as long as the training is good!

Quote:

So long as they are committed, I don’t care WHY they want to train.

Quote:

Fine by me. They’re no threat to us and, we might learn something in the process.

-John

#271030 - 07/12/06 10:16 PM Re: would you ever turn a student away? [Re: Ed_Morris]
roninofGa Offline

#1 Keep.
#2 No. They must take off for liability and safety reasons.
#3 Explain that this may not be their cup of tea.
#4 keep
#5 Not during regular class. Maybe, just maybe in my spare time. As above stated. It's their dime.
#6 NOPE! Too risky to chance.
#7 No problem here.
#8 No problem
#9 keep. Maybe they may get to liking the art just by attending.
#10 Sure. Maybe they will go to the other school and tell their friends there what the are learning at my place and they come too.

#271031 - 07/13/06 10:16 AM Re: would you ever turn a student away? [Re: Ed_Morris]
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA

Yes but would take great care to make sure they did not kill themselves lol Seriously I have had a couple of seriously overweight students.

No way. This could be dangerous to others as well as them. I have trained a girl with several facial piercings. She had no problem removing them for training

I would explain the dojo rules. Nobody has to comply but if they don't want to, they need a different dojo

Absolutely irrelevant

Not sure, possibly if it did not interfere with my own students in any way

No way

Up to them but it would be made clear that progress would be slow

Cool - teach me too please

They can train but progress would be impeded. If they only want excercise this won't matter but I know many who joined for excercise and then got hooked on the art.

Not a problem. I would ask them to discuss this with their existing instructor first out of courtesy. Sometimes my students ask about cross training. Most times I suggest other places, but occasionally there is a good reason to advice against it, ie a beginner that wants to train in two striking arts without a strong base in one. However, I only advise - it's their call.

#271032 - 07/13/06 11:22 AM Re: would you ever turn a student away? [Re: still wadowoman]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

The only person I have ever seen turned away from class was a man who had a criminal record and didn't declare it to the instructor. (Police check turned it up). He lasted 2 lessons.

#271033 - 07/13/06 11:27 AM Re: would you ever turn a student away? [Re: Ed_Morris]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Does anyone have so many students that they can 'afford' to turn them away? I look around and only see the teacher...where are these prospective students?

#271034 - 07/13/06 11:48 AM Re: would you ever turn a student away? [Re: Ed_Morris]
GungFuTy Offline

Loc: UT
I kind of wanted to respond just to question 8. I hope thats ok

Last semester Paul (I hope he doesn't mind me telling this story ) Joined my class. Most of his family had been killed in fighting in Cambodia. He took up TKD for self defense. He eventually moved to the US and joined my class.

This guy was super dedicated to the arts. He practiced at least 2-3 hrs a day 7 days a week plus taught TKD plus attended my class.

Anyways, it was a great experiance being able to teach someone an art that simply was such a good martial artist.

Personally I think you would be crazy to turn down someone like that. It teaches you that you may know more than you think and it lets you learn from someone more experianced at the same time.

My respects to Paul, especially if he frequents this forum

#271035 - 07/13/06 01:21 PM Re: would you ever turn a student away? [Re: Ed_Morris]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I'd be ok with most of them, although Mr Piercings would have it explained he'd not take part on sparring, only non-contact work, patterns etc (until he saw the light).

Mr Religious, I'd suggest he try somewhere else (for the sake of class discipline and me not wanting to walk a tightrope every class).

ex-spouse guy would depend on circumstance and my relationship with them.

transgender guy, I'd make the class watch "Beautiful Boxer" and make it clear I wouldn't tolerate any hassle.

Mr -Pay-to -Learn, I'd suggest private classes.

That being said, I don't teach anyway

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga