FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#270971 - 07/12/06 01:29 PM THE Channan thread
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Here are the past discussions:

"Channan Katas"
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/136367/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

"Pinan/Heian vs Channan"
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...e=0&fpart=1

"Channan anew"
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15867890/an/0/page/0#15867890

"The truth about the Channan's!"
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15868064/an/0/page/0#15868064

threads with some references to Channan:

"Lost art or Change for best??"
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15809991/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

"Heian/Pinan"
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/221820/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

"Heian/pinan Kata or Kata(plural)?"
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...rue#Post9853670

-----------------------

This thread is the only allowable thread on this topic, any others which are created will be locked and referenced here. also, any off-topic sub-topics in this thread will be deleted. I'm not restricting conversation, I'm consolidating it for everyone's conveinence. your welcome.

ok, let THE Channan thread commence ...

#270972 - 07/12/06 04:28 PM Re: THE Channan thread [Re: Ed_Morris]
aoishi Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Thanks for bouncing the dweebs!

#270973 - 07/12/06 10:54 PM Re: THE Channan thread [Re: aoishi]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I'll pose a re-starting point. There are a few things about a kata in general that are interesting to note, but don't add one minute of experience to the actual practice of it. kata are physically learned from an instructor, and practiced for years. no other way. even if someone found the rosetta stone with a lost kata scribed on it, it would be just movements just a choreography without meaning. Thats enough for many. They 'want' the kata - but what they really want is just the hollow shape of it. This 'want' is satisfied by providing it to them...for a price of course. video or seminar take your pick.

This is why all the people who come on here and say they have a rare, esoteric, protected or lost kata aren't willing to provide an mpeg for it. ...since THAT is their product! why give it away from free?

some will say they will teach it for free, but you need to come to them. do you really think it's free? years ago, I got a call from a place in Cape Cod telling me that if I go to their 'open house' of condo sales, then I get a free stereo. NO obligation and it's free...just show up, listen, then claim your gift. cool! I thought. The pressure they put on people to commit to something before leaving with their free piece of junk plastic stereo was incredible. My drill seargant could have taken lessons from these marketing nazis of how to mind-screw and psych-battle fatigue people. needless to say, I didn't sign on the dotted line and got a slave-labor made stereo tossed to me. It really wasn't worth wasting the day.

before wasting a plane ticket or going out of your way in time or money, if anyone claims to know and teach something to you, make sure you:

A. know and trust someone who recommends checking it out or has trained at least once with the SAME person you are going to see.

B. Realize that 'secrets' can't be given in one sitting or viewing. They are physically realized over a period of time of practice and correction.

C. Insist on seeing a clip or video of at least a taste of what you'll be shown.

D. don't be pressured into anything you aren't comfortable with. 'peer pressure' and 'guilt trip' tactics come to mind.

realize before all of this, that anyone claiming to teach for free loudly, obviously doesn't have enough students for a reason. The reason could be anything from, they don't have anything worth staying for, to they are 'spreading their word' for free in the hopes to attract attention that they can charge many others for later. organizational recruitment comes to mind. "join are org! it's free!" uh-huh.

Good instructors are simply not loudmouths or braggarts.

back to the Channan topic...have a good thread.

p.s. I have a theory: Channan is not the name of a kata at all...it's a girl's name who knows 'ALL your secrets'.

#270974 - 07/12/06 11:17 PM Re: THE Channan thread [Re: Ed_Morris]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad

How did you know that Ju-C's middle name is Channan?

Page

#270975 - 07/12/06 11:17 PM Re: THE Channan thread [Re: Ed_Morris]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Quote:

and got a slave-labor made stereo tossed to me

Now, that is f'n funny!

#270976 - 07/13/06 12:06 AM Re: THE Channan thread [Re: Ed_Morris]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Hi Ed,

As I've been teaching free for 29 or so years which of the following applies to me?

"realize before all of this, that anyone claiming to teach for free loudly, obviously doesn't have enough students for a reason. The reason could be anything from, they don't have anything worth staying for, to they are 'spreading their word' for free in the hopes to attract attention that they can charge many others for later. organizational recruitment comes to mind. "join are org! it's free!" uh-huh"

Of course I've probably had several thousand students over the years (never kept records just taught), and the instructors i've developed also do the same. Then again I'm not looking for students, or want to share anything.

In fact if someone wants to study, say the Gojushiho we have I'm glad to teach it, but that only comes roughly 12 to 13 years into the program. While I teach for free I only teach one way, always from the beginning, regardless of previous training. Perhaps that's my price?

Then again I have always been willing to share for friends, but perhaps that's not teaching?

I just want to make sure that I'm describing myself accurately.

Of course from my point of view I have about the same opinion of anyone who teaches for money (or pays for instruction) <GRIN>

Unless you're not referring to me, then I guess I better start charging you?

There are no simple answers. I've studied with great instructors for free and I've also studied with great instructors who charged me $1,000 a form.

I would suggest it's not the cost, but the knowledge and effort that are more important.

Edited by Victor Smith (07/13/06 12:09 AM)

#270977 - 07/13/06 07:02 AM Re: THE Channan thread [Re: Victor Smith]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Victor, you mistook my message - the key word in my statement was 'loudly'. teaching for free, voluntary 'donation', or monthly fee by itself doesn't make a difference. besides, you have never struck me as a recruiter of what you do.

I was pointing out my subjective opinion that people who advertise LOUDLY, have a reason for doing so that most likely isn't because the stuff is so good they want everyone to have it. but rather, they want everyone to have it because what the loud advertiser gets in return is oh $o good.

#270978 - 07/13/06 08:11 AM Re: THE Channan thread [Re: Ed_Morris]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Ok Ed,

I understand, so if I am of the opinion that what I do is GREAT, I must not be loud about it.

Then does saying what I do is g*r*e*a*t look quiet enough?

#270979 - 07/13/06 08:25 AM Re: THE Channan thread [Re: Ed_Morris]
senseiaverywax Offline
Channan fodder Banned Member

You folks have be-littled me cussed at me called me a liar said that I am children playing a game among other things. In order to discredit me and laugh at me. however what you do not see is that there are those who are laughing at you! There is a sample of the real Channan kata contained here in all our postings it has been here, even before I ever made my first post or joined your talk group it is actually what lead me here. I did not post it here! Now imagine you think I am a stupid fool!; but you know so little about Karate you can not see what is under your nose!

I could charge to teach the kata or I could write a book and charge for that, but I do not beleive in that. I have been told that Al Martin Jr Sensei and Paul Hart Sensei plan to or have one in the works. Imagine your surprise when you find out I was telling you the truth! As you will notice my conduct is impeccable I have not cussed or said anything inapporpriate if you think I may have consider it is your dity mind not mine that thinks it!

Also please do not Source My statement these are not my sources. You may think you are helping, but you are not the source you give had to get its info somewhere to.Did you list its source?

#270980 - 07/13/06 08:28 AM Re: THE Channan thread [Re: Victor Smith]
senseiaverywax Offline
Channan fodder Banned Member

Victor,

Strange we actually agree on this!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga